Transparent Tarot - Least Favorite Card(s)

rwcarter

My least favorite cards are the Emperor and the World. From an aesthetic viewpoint, I can understand why Em chose the images she did for both cards. But from the viewpoint of trying to read the cards purely intuitively, those two images don't really say anything to me. I've done some study on the symbology of the Emperor, so I have a little better grasp of the card, but the World still escapes me.

What is/are your least favorite card(s) in the deck?

Rodney

sunflowr

rwcarter said:
My least favorite cards are the Emperor and the World. From an aesthetic viewpoint, I can understand why Em chose the images she did for both cards. But from the viewpoint of trying to read the cards purely intuitively, those two images don't really say anything to me. I've done some study on the symbology of the Emperor, so I have a little better grasp of the card, but the World still escapes me.

Rodney

The World card is the full grown Spiral. blooming in all her glorious colors! Once she was but a little pink spiral on the wings of a butterfly. (The Fool, where she began her journey). As she went through her journey through the major arcana, she picked up more and more color, and now she is a rainbow! That's how I see the World in this deck, and it makes perfect sense. :)

I think my least favorite card would be the 5 of disks. I don't feel a sense of lack or poverty with this card. But I havent yet read the book, because this deck is still being hidden from me till Christmas!!! :D

So yea.. maybe when I do... or if you can shed some light .. I might make sense of that one too.

Sidhe-Ra

I've had someone else...or maybe yourself, I can't recall, mention that before. It was a really tricky one, because I wanted it to mirror the five of cups, it needed to be very minmal, but also contain not only the idea of loss, but of unseen support and the potential of recovery. It is this aspect that can be seen in the church window of many other decks, and had to be portrayed far more simply in the T.T.

So, if you can see the Pentacles supporting the backbone of the figure as being the strong foundation that supports them, when they are looking out at nothing, then it may start to work for you...I admit it may not be one of the best cards!

Em x

sunflowr

Sidhe-Ra said:
I've had someone else...or maybe yourself, I can't recall, mention that before. It was a really tricky one, because I wanted it to mirror the five of cups, it needed to be very minmal, but also contain not only the idea of loss, but of unseen support and the potential of recovery. It is this aspect that can be seen in the church window of many other decks, and had to be portrayed far more simply in the T.T.

So, if you can see the Pentacles supporting the backbone of the figure as being the strong foundation that supports them, when they are looking out at nothing, then it may start to work for you...I admit it may not be one of the best cards!

Em x

oooh yes!! Now that you put it that way, that makes perfect sense to me! Because we might perceive that we have "nothing" where actually there's something coming around the corner (as you say "potential for recovery"), or there's some support we can turn to. The way the figure looks out at nothing, while support is literally behind him.. I get it now. :)

Sidhe-Ra

sunflowr said:
The World card is the full grown Spiral. blooming in all her glorious colors! Once she was but a little pink spiral on the wings of a butterfly. (The Fool, where she began her journey). As she went through her journey through the major arcana, she picked up more and more color, and now she is a rainbow! That's how I see the World in this deck, and it makes perfect sense. :)

QUOTE]

Yup! :)

It's also contained within a circle, the simplest and most perfect symbol to represent completion, infinity and cycles. xx

lark

There were three majors that confused me, but I love the art of them.
Emperor
Heriophant
Temperance
All the others I knew instantly...
I thought the tree was the Emperor...I think because the Empress was so nature based and I thought the Emperor would reflect that..the tree looks so stable and strong...so grounded like the Emperor needs to be.
Then the actual Emperor card I though at first depicted the Hierophant perfectly...the buildings, some of them church like....the feeling of tradition from the card.
After reading the book I understand Em's ideal behind her drawings...but at first just looking at the cards, and not the numbers, that is what I saw, and now it's kind of hard to get those two out of my head in that mixed up order.

Temperance....it's the fire that throws me here...I had no idea what card this was at first.
I appreciate after reading the book how much thought Em put into this image....and I understand the fire now.
I was talking to my daughter about this and she said "Well if you had drawn the card what image would you have used instead of the fire..?"
I instantly said "An Iris." ...the alchemy of water producing a flower is always a wonder to me....but then I guess that is why people draw there own decks we all have our own personal symbols.

I have no non-favorite minor...I actually really like the way the 5 of pents is depicted, I like how the 5 coins are arched like the opening of a doorway...nice touch.

birdsong123

rwcarter said:

Rodney

An interesting thing happened to me with one of my first readings with this deck. I was asked if someone was going to end up moving near a city...and wouldn'tcha know the Emperor card came up?

I can't say I have a least favorite card in the deck. I love all those little people...they're perfect. And I love how they are positioned. Engenious.

I do have a question for Sidhe-Ra, though...
You had mentioned (somewhere) that you may be at the Reader's Studio 2009 and can sign our decks. How do you sign a deck? Is there a specific card you look for? Hope to see you there.

(sorry to go a bit off-topic).

Least favorite card, though...? I just went through the whole deck saying, "not that one...nope, not this....nope, like that one....not this one...."

lol

It's all good.

Sidhe-Ra

Aw, thanks!

I sign the book, and the Schiffer logo card :)

Em xx

birdsong123

Oops! I've been using the logo card for a bookmark in the book, lol.

Hope to see you there.

sunflowr

Sidhe-Ra said:
Aw, thanks!

I sign the book, and the Schiffer logo card :)

Em xx

When is this event? I may be in NYC in the Spring, on a visit! Would love to meet!