Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

rwcarter

2_Journey,

I understand exactly what you're talking about.

Before I started the first IDS, I was doing about 8 different tarot-related things with various decks and books. I was cycling through them all without really dedicating any intense focus on any of them. And I really wasn't making much headway on any of them, truth be told.

Then I IDSd with the Ancient Egyptian Tarot for 7 months. While it wasn't the deck that I thought I'd be using for the IDS (I just knew it would be one of the Bohemian Gothic versions!), it was the deck that chose me as it were. By focusing in on that one deck, I moved away from the stock meanings of the cards and began to read the imagery instead. In some cases I would read the card, but in most cases some part of the imagery would jump out at me. And because I had studied the imagery, I could use that knowledge to determine what the card was trying to tell me, even if it had nothing to do with the "standard" meaning of the card.

The IDS is a wonderful thing in that way. And all those things I was splitting my focus on earlier this year? I couldn't recite the list if my life depended on it, although the list is in the first IDS thread. Do I miss those things I was splitting my focus on? Well, if I can't remember what they were, I guess I can't miss them, huh?

Rodney

Mariana

What's the current timeframe, are any people finishing or starting around new year? I think that would be a good starting point for me, once my Anna K deck has arrived. From what I've seen of it so far, this deck may feel like coming home. I have a few other decks I really love (eg. the Fairytale), but none that are as accessible as this one. And I'm the kind of person who needs focus and simplicity. My professional life is stressful enough. So I'd love to focus on the Anna K for a couple of months. Maybe not really for 'study' in an intellectual sense, more for reading, so it would be a 'one deck wonder' as well as an 'intensive deck study'.

rwcarter

Mariana,

I believe people are all on different schedules right now. And as this thread creeps toward the 1000 posts mark, we'll probably be creating a new one early into the New Year. So that prob is a good time to start IDS Part 3. Some folks will be continuing, new folks will be starting and maybe some of the folks who've been rather quiet will let us know if they are still doing/still interested in their IDSes....

Rodney

Jyscal

Hello all! Ive been watching this thread for awhile now but only now posting to join. The deck id like to study with would be the Rider-Waite, or Angel Oracle(im not sure if i can do Oracles here). Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all. Keep well

thorhammer

Jyscal said:
Hello all! Ive been watching this thread for awhile now but only now posting to join. The deck id like to study with would be the Rider-Waite, or Angel Oracle(im not sure if i can do Oracles here). Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all. Keep well
Hey, Jyscal :) There is a specific study group/IDS for Oracle users, over in the correct forum. It's not very active, though; Oracles in general aren't as big here as Tarot.

If you want to go with the RWS, though, that'd be fine here!

*~hammer, butting out*

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

Welcome Jyscal!

You wouldn't be the first person to do an IDS with a tarot deck and an oracle. But "hammer" is right. If you just want to do an oracle, you would probably do better over in the Oracles forum. So I'll put you down for Rider Waite and Angel Oracle until/unless I hear differently.

(Confidential to "hammer": Don't butt out. Stay a while and join back in the fun! :D)

Rodney

thorhammer

rwcarter said:
(Confidential to "hammer": Don't butt out. Stay a while and join back in the fun! :D)

Rodney
:* You're a dear :) but right now I'm scattered between avoiding the Thoth, learning Lenormand and my Radiant Sun Oracle, and flitting between about six decks when I feel like reading :|

I know I need the focus, but right now I want to spread myself among those two Oracles in particular, with some time with other decks as relief, not being so big on Oracles usually :D

But thanks for the invite. Nice to know that I'm still welcome in these parts!

\m/ Kat

Jyscal

Thanks for the welcome rwcarter! Id like to stick with both for now if i can. Rwcarter's right thorhammer, you should come back. But its all good if you got other things on the go!

Hemera

I have fallen seriously in love with Ciro´s new Legacy of the Divine Tarot.. And the funny thing is, I haven´t even received it yet. It did arrive a few days before Christmas but it got stuck at the Customs (because it is pricey and it comes from outside of the European Union). I´ll get it from there next week.
Anyway, I have noticed that I have already strated IDSing with it full speed. I watch the pictures/slideshow every day and I write notes in my notebook and I have even had a few dreams of it..
So, I might as well admit that I have already changed my IDS deck to this one..
I feel awful to have left the Faerie Tarot for now, though. But I guess I have to follow my heart here? :bugeyed:

thorhammer

I am surprised you got enough from the Faerie to stay with it for so long, Hemera :) I have it, and love it to bits, but I have to say that I find it an incredibly shallow deck, with brief messages. It's to-the-point every time. I use it before I go to bed most nights, for a reassuring, beautiful image and message to go to sleep with.

It has many quirks, but I do love it nonetheless :)

\m/ Kat