Is This Legal?

firecatpickles

It would be a good idea to have a lobbying organization.

Call it TAG or Tarot Artists Guild. Have a copyright registry in one host country, like the US, AUS or UK so that these issues can more easily be addressed across borders, the way most of these cases seem to arise.

gregory

OK - here attached is a complete list of the decks s/he offers, with publishers and artists. The ONLY one I would have issues with arguing is the Thoth...!

But we have 4 major publishers in there - USG, LS, AGM and Llewellyn..... none is likely to be really pleased.... I will also get on to Philip Thomas....

ETA I have lost his e-mail - I had it recently so am VERY annoyed. Can anyone help ? ETA some more - but I have PMd him here....

Go for it, Cirom !

Attachments

• the listed decks.doc
    66 KB · Views: 217

Elven

Gregory - wouldn't Thoth be USGames? Cannot they be contacted as well? - there must be someone there interested that could be possibly used as a permanent contact?

Good work Gregory :D

Cheers
Elven x

gregory

Thoth has been published SO MANY TIMES over the years by so many people, I am loth to beat my brains out over it..... Even some of the weird places MAY have had permission..... from Uncle Al in the beyond, for all I know.....

ETA - but see above - I have contacted USG, Llewellyn and LS. I don't know quite how to contact Muller, as their site goes down a lot.....

Elven

Even some of the weird places MAY have had permission..... from Uncle Al in the beyond, for all I know.....

LOL!!! Which means we can contact him the same way and get his permission to give them a warning? :D

Cheers
Elven x

gregory

Elven said:
LOL!!! Which means we can contact him the same way and get his permission to give them a warning? :D
Funny you should mention it :TDEAT :TDEV })

baba-prague

Well, I wrote and in response was sent a very brief email (unsigned oddly enough) asking for permission to use our deck.

I sent back a fairly standard list of questions - for example, about the resolution he is using (we would not give anyone, under any circumstances, permission to distributed high res pictures) and also about credit, links back to our site and so on.

It's all a bit curious. I would guess this is someone who has focused on the software without thinking through - in the least - the realities of using copyright work in a commercial project. At best, this is very naive.

As Ciro said, it's a shame he didn't have the foresight to ask permissions in advance, as some people might have been happy to give them if the right credits, links etc are displayed. In my experience it's harder to ask authors and artists to grant permissions after work has already been used and copyright violated. It doesn't do much for trust in the relationship!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for bringing this to general attention - and for caring.

gregory

So. I see the Gilded is no longer up for download..... we have made a weeny bit of progress.... Cirom - please go after the others; you have made direct contact.....

ETA - Prague is down too..... :D

cirom

I fowarded the list you provided Gregory.
I got the impression he intended to cooperate. So I tuned down the rhetoric as well, and provided some advise. (Some carrot to follow the stick)

Here is a copy of my last communications

--------More advice if you are interested.
You might not have much success in getting permission to use published decks, as they tend to be the copyright of major companies. However there are lots of decks created (and some very beautiful ones) that for any number of reasons were not selected by these companies. In some cases the artists were left with the option of self publishing. If you contact those artists, they might be interested in coming to an agreement with you to have their images included in your product, as they may consider that a means of promoting their deck.

Think about it.

Ciro Marchetti.-----------

So far our collective efforts have born fruit. And I agree with Elven's suggestion of creating a more formal alliance of some kind, that would would be able to respond to future occurrences with a common voice. As a group we can spread the word quite rapidly, to other tarot sites, organizations, groups etc. I think that would be an effective tool. While I personally don't have time to create or organize such a organization , I would certainly actively support one if it were created.

To be honest when it comes to decks such as the Gilded, its not such a big deal. Its a deck thats reasonably well known, it has the backing of a major publisher. And when all is said it done, its also been out long enough that any damage to sales by pirating would be negligible. But there is still a principal involved.

The real danger of these pirated deck images, is more to an individual artist, who after years of work finally finishes their cherished deck. They then have a dilemma. They need to show the images in order to attract customers, but in doing so leave themselves vulnerable to those images being taken by others, maybe even before they are published. That would be a tragedy.

gregory

Thanks. I shall watch with interest !