Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Hemera

thorhammer said:
I am surprised you got enough from the Faerie to stay with it for so long, Hemera :) I have it, and love it to bits, but I have to say that I find it an incredibly shallow deck, with brief messages.
LOL :D
But I wonder about the Legacy.. I have found the two previous Ciro-decks (Gilded and ToD) rather shallow.. So can this new one really be as deep as it looks? It scares me a bit... I love the Faerie so I hope I´m not leaving it for another shallow deck.. But what can I do. I´m hopelessly in love :bugeyed: :)

thorhammer

Understood :) but you seem to have a knack that I don't for wringing more out of a "shallow" deck than seems possible. I think it's a beautiful deck (legacy) and wish that I could afford the special edition :( I'll have to wait till the MM one comes out, though.

\m/ Kat

Hemera

thorhammer said:
but you seem to have a knack that I don't for wringing more out of a "shallow" deck than seems possible.
Thanks. I hope you are right:)

thorhammer said:
I think it's a beautiful deck (legacy) and wish that I could afford the special edition :( I'll have to wait till the MM one comes out, though.

\m/ Kat
Well, to be honest, I can´t really afford it either.. I´ve already sold two of my OOP decks to finance the Legacy, and I´m going to have to sell more..

rwcarter

List has been updated.

If you're on the list and haven't checked in for awhile, please raise your hand to let us know you're still interested in the IDS. I'll be PMing people early next year if they haven't been around in awhile and will cull the list appropriately. We're getting close to the point where we'll need to start a new thread, and I only want to include people who are actually interested in/actively doing an IDS.

Rodney

Onyx

rwcarter said:
Mariana,

I believe people are all on different schedules right now. And as this thread creeps toward the 1000 posts mark, we'll probably be creating a new one early into the New Year. So that prob is a good time to start IDS Part 3. Some folks will be continuing, new folks will be starting and maybe some of the folks who've been rather quiet will let us know if they are still doing/still interested in their IDSes....

Rodney

I wanted to second your idea about starting a new thread just after New Years. It might even be a good time to check with everyone to see if they are still participating and if not then to maybe thin the list down a bit just to make it easier to manage.

Onyx.

2_Journey

rwcarter said:
2_Journey,

I understand exactly what you're talking about.

Before I started the first IDS, I was doing about 8 different tarot-related things with various decks and books. I was cycling through them all without really dedicating any intense focus on any of them. And I really wasn't making much headway on any of them, truth be told.

Then I IDSd with the Ancient Egyptian Tarot for 7 months. While it wasn't the deck that I thought I'd be using for the IDS (I just knew it would be one of the Bohemian Gothic versions!), it was the deck that chose me as it were. By focusing in on that one deck, I moved away from the stock meanings of the cards and began to read the imagery instead. In some cases I would read the card, but in most cases some part of the imagery would jump out at me. And because I had studied the imagery, I could use that knowledge to determine what the card was trying to tell me, even if it had nothing to do with the "standard" meaning of the card.

The IDS is a wonderful thing in that way. And all those things I was splitting my focus on earlier this year? I couldn't recite the list if my life depended on it, although the list is in the first IDS thread. Do I miss those things I was splitting my focus on? Well, if I can't remember what they were, I guess I can't miss them, huh?

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Just saw your post now. Its been crazy with the holidays, and I'm not out of the soup yet until after the 1st of the year. I think it really is amazing, because as I work more and more with my two decks, the more I realize how little I miss the deck jumping I was doing before. I haven't been tempted by any other decks (okay, except for the Behemian Gothic, but its so prettyyyy! But I didn't cheat, lol).

I'm feeling like I felt right back at the beginning of my tarot journey away back in the year 2000, when all I had for the first six months was the Universal Waite, and then I bought the Thoth. Then, every reading was a new and exciting experience, every message so fresh and distilled to exactly what the cards were telling me. It was all about reading the cards, not hopping from deck to deck. When I first started reading tarot, the message was important, rather than the messenger (deck) I was using.

And then I caught the collecting bug, and burned through dozens of decks (now either sold online, given to friends, or in storage). I didn't even realize I was missing my beginners eyes until I started doing the IDS. Committing like this really has forced me to focus on the message more than on the cards, if that makes sense. Its all just very refreshing, in a way I hadn't expected at all. I really do feel like I'm a beginner again! I'm having so much fun!

Alright, preaching overwith for now. I just couldn't help myself!

2_Journey

Jyscal said:
Thanks for the welcome rwcarter! Id like to stick with both for now if i can. Rwcarter's right thorhammer, you should come back. But its all good if you got other things on the go!

Hi Jyscal,

I just wanted to chime in about using a tarot and an oracle. I'm using the Tarot of the Four Elements and the Triple Goddess Tarot (mostly an oracle) together. I think the two of my decks are working so well together because the Triple Goddess feels sort of like a tarot deck (its based on the major arcana), so I don't have to comepletely change my "tarot language" when I work with it. I'm still in the realm of the major arcana, just a different and expanded major arcana. Also, my decks are both by the same author, so they feel very similar.

Another thing that didn't occur to me until now is that I'm using my decks for two different things. Right now, I'm using the Triple Goddess for one-card-draws in the morning, and the Four Elements for the Sacred Days of Yule spread (which I am soo behind typing up because of all the holiday stuff going on!). I do both readings in the morning, so the decks feel like they're working very well together, like two voices in a continuing conversation. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to use both decks once the Sacred Days of Yule reading is overwith.

I've actually started thinking about doing readings with both decks, using the Triple Goddess as the major arcana, and the minors of the Four Elements. Or, pulling a card from the majors of the Four Elements, and then pulling a corresponding card from the Triple Goddess. Or oh! I could pull one card from the Triple Goddess, and then two or three cards from the Four Elements as a sort of punctuation mark for the Triple Goddess card.

Clearly, I'm really enjoying working with a tarot and an oracle together. I feel like its allowing me to be a bit more creative with my readings than I would be if I was just using a tarot deck or an oracle deck. So far, my motto has been "have fun with it and be creative!" and that has worked very well for me so far, with both of my decks.

SolSionnach

Hello all,
I'm back and starting another IDS, studying the TdM again... and continuing with deck comparisons: Vieville, Hadar, Payen, Dodal, and Svizzera 1804. I guess this is not really an IDS because I'm using 5 different decks, but all of these are pip decks, and I'll be comparing and contrasting the iconography and posting in my Vieville Daily Draws thread. I'll be doing daily draws with Vieville, and reading with the Vieville and the Hadar. I also will be posting in whatever IDS thread is current at the time.

Even with this great variety of decks, I'm sure that I'll have some interest in looking at decks with more pictures :p ... so I'll allow myself to look at other decks once a week, if I feel the need.

I'm continuing to study Melanchollic's methods, using period-correct elemental correspondences and Pythagorean number theory (as well as I can figure it out!)

I'm starting today (12/29/08) and will continue through the Spring Equinox in March.

rwcarter

Welcome back sravana! :heart:

I'd added you back to the list with "various TdMs". I started to put TdM Mania, but decided to be nice! :laugh:

Rodney

SolSionnach

rwcarter said:
Welcome back sravana! :heart:

I'd added you back to the list with "various TdMs". I started to put TdM Mania, but decided to be nice! :laugh:
ROFL.
Dude, you killed me.
Come to think of it, I probably could get out the Tarot of Bologna and the 1JJ Swiss to this.. oh, and the Balbi and the Minchiate, and what about the Greenwood and Maat... oh and the Universal Waite!! ::pant, pant:: Oops, looks like my manic phase just took hold... j/k.

Actually, if you did put "TdM Mania" in there, someone would probably PM me wondering where I found the Mania Tarot de Marseilles. ;)

ETA: wondering what that would look like... probably with Trumps that are as psychedelic as the Balbi pips...