A new de-enabling thread

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
You only want to buy another Thoth for two reasons;

Firstly, that thread about it being OOP. It isn´t, never will be.

Secondly, that controversial thread about whether the Thoth is really intellectual, and whether dumb people should be allowed to use it. Don´t get carried along on all the "flavour of the month" Thoth threads right now. There are quite a few. Rise above them.

And anyway, weren´t you wallowing in Marseilles less than two weeks ago? Bit fickle... ;)
Well, it's a wee bit more complex than that (isn't it always?). I'm going to be taking jmd's course starting in March, and I knew that I'd need a break before that. So I signed on for an IDS with Shining Woman (which didn't last), and then I switched to Liber T/Thoth. Now, perhaps I was nudged in that direction by something I read here - yes, now that I think about it, I was - but I do have a handful of Thoth-derived decks: Thoth, Liber T, Cosmic, Light and Shadow (in order of perceived 'purity' to that Thoth tradition, lol) - and I did have a lovely large-sized beautifully-printed Thoth that I sold a while back.

Now, while Thoth will always be available, I keep hearing that the newer printing (out of Germany?) is *much* worse. So if I don't buy the OOP version now, it will only be much more expensive in the future!

(I'm enabling myself here, guys...)
gregory said:
This is true. I thought she was a TdM fundamentalist, me..... Let's shoot her :D
Ouch! Stop that! I've got enough of a world of hurt going on right now - my thumb started triggering (due to trying to shuffle my Vieville into submission a while back), and I finally saw an MD yesterday.

She said: "you can have a steriod shot or you can have surgery".

:bugeyed:

I'm now on a 2-week sick leave, and with my thumb in a splint (after opting for the shot) I CAN'T SHUFFLE THE WAY I ALWAYS HAVE!!!

So... I really, really, really, need to find that large Thoth!! :bugeyed: You know - retail therapy!

fairyhedgehog

elvenstar said:
That's easy. You don't need it, because you already have more decks than actually need. But here's why you don't want it:

1) You say in your profile you like small, cute decks. This is neither small, nor cute. In fact the cards are quite big and also wide. And it's definitely not cute. Some of the images are, well, not creepy exactly, but weird.

2) It follows it's own system. Do you really want to learn another system? More to the point, do you want to learn this system? No! And here's why:

3) The book. Rather than the usual explanations and descriptions of symbols on the card etc., this book is written in the form of stories/monologues/rants of the different characters. You think you'll like this unique take? Think again! It will patronise you, confuse you, and worse of all, you'll be none the wiser about how to read with the damn thing afterwards!

4) You only want it, because it's oop. Go on admit it.

Oh Elvenstar, all those points are perfect, including no. 4. You're right of course.

Thank you!

fairyhedgehog

Starshower said:
Re. Waking the Wild Spirit:
I bought the deck direct from Poppy Palin, & there are no more books available. So you couldn't learn her own system easily (at all?) anyway.
And it isn't a Tarot. Poppy says so. She never intended it to be a Tarot. So there.
(Any help?)

Yes, that does help Starshower. Thank you!

fairyhedgehog

gregory said:
Easy about Wild Spirit. You ask us to say you don't need it - well you don't. No-one needs it. OK ?

Er, thanks gregory ;)

I think I'll read elvenstar's post when I find the urge overcoming me, though!

gregory

fairyhedgehog said:
Er, thanks gregory ;)

I think I'll read elvenstar's post when I find the urge overcoming me, though!
Good. Make sure you do. I hadn't seen it; I have had a crap time getting on here (and indeed most places) all day !

I shall now return to the inside of my head ! :love:

SolSionnach

Too late.
I just ordered the large green box Thoth. I hear that it's as good as the previous blue box AGM.

Heavens help me....

:bugeyed:

Stormdancer

gregory said:
I shall now return to the inside of my head ! :love:

OOOOH nOOOOO....not that...anything but THAT!!!! :joke: LOL
Stormdancer

nisaba

Cat* said:
Hear him say "You will attempt to resist." Repeat as necessary.

<cackle> That clearly presupposes it's only an attempt, and programmes you to fail in resisting!

BrightEye

I am one mouse click away from the Dal Negro Mitelli. Should I be dissuaded?

gregory

BrightEye said:
I am one mouse click away from the Dal Negro Mitelli. Should I be dissuaded?
Did you have to do that HERE, after you asked for recommendations THERE ?????

But the very fact that you have come to this thread suggests that YES, you don't really need it. It is large. Don't you have small hands ? As I said to someone else, who did not take my advice :mad: - buy the larger hands FIRST, than think about large cards.... if you have any cash left....