A new de-enabling thread

Faolainn Storm

Rosanne said:
OK this is a hard one- I need to have a deck for reading. For my granddaughter.
So I thought I might buy this one....
http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique/onlinecatalog.php?view_title=fairy+tarots&rs=3378
So what is wrong with this deck?
It looks quite fun and story weaving.

Easy! I have this deck. It's nice, but not really a reading deck. The minor arcana are basically pips and not even useful pips - the suits are hearts, bells, acorns and leaves!!! Ok so hearts are probably cups, but what are the other three?? And if you ever decide to teach her how to read, she will have to unlearn these weird suits to learn almost any other deck.
Oh and the aces have these odd Latin (I think) mottos on them. Every time one of them came up I was hugely frustrated trying to work out what they meant. Are the mottos important? I assume they are signifcant, otherwise why are they there? But there is no translation of them in the LWB, and with my minimal level of latin, I was not able to translate them (or at least make any sense out of what I did translate).
The Majors are nice, but the minors ruin the whole deck. Now if it was available as a Majors only....

FS

SolSionnach

Faolainn Storm said:
Easy! I have this deck. It's nice, but not really a reading deck. The minor arcana are basically pips and not even useful pips - the suits are hearts, bells, acorns and leaves!!! FS
I remember from Huson's book that the original playing card suits in the German trad are hearts, hawkbells, acorns and leaves or some such. He does go into which correspond to what (diamonds, etc).

fairyhedgehog

gregory said:
I am so proud. I am NOT buying the deck I ordered from Raven's Rune. (OK I confess - she can't get it just now, but even so - that is a non-purchase....)

Naughty gregory! What are you doing ordering decks?

Why are you looking at me? OK so I ordered one deck but the African tarot was really cheap - only the price of a paperback book. And anyway it hasn't arrived yet so it doesn't count.

nisaba

Gregory and Fairyhedgehog, why are you torturing me like this? Here am I, really not buying the next five decks I have in mind, and getting a bit twitchy and irritable about it, and there you both go flashing purchases or near-purchases at me. <sob sob>

fairyhedgehog

Sorry nisaba. Here, have a tissue and I'll make you a cup of tea. Just because gregory and I have been naughty it doesn't mean you have to follow us into bad ways.

magpie9

Rosanne said:
OK this is a hard one- I need to have a deck for reading. For my granddaughter.

~Rosanne
My kids and grandkids cut their Tarot Teeth on the Hanson-Roberts. I offer this information because I know you are totally fascinated by my ancient family doings, otherwise lost in the digestive systems of the dust bunnies of time, and in no way would take it as a suggestion for your situation. :angel:

gregory

fairyhedgehog said:
Sorry nisaba. Here, have a tissue and I'll make you a cup of tea. Just because gregory and I have been naughty it doesn't mean you have to follow us into bad ways.
But but but but I wasn't naughty.

I tried to be :| but fate would not allow it !!!! :D

fairyhedgehog

gregory said:
But but but but I wasn't naughty.

I tried to be :| but fate would not allow it !!!! :D

Okay, I admit it. It was me! I was naughty and bad and I deserve gregory's worst punishment. *cowers in the corner*

It's a cute little deck, though.

swimming in tarot

So here's a situation that may be new to you professional de-enablers. My friend is curious about what's fascinating me at this purple palace, and I didn't want to hide my new decks from him, so I came clean and showed him, and he cruised through the Cards section while I was making us dinner. He has looked carefully at each of my four decks--this very rational, science-based guy--and seems to have an excellent memory for images and interpretations, for someone who is coming cold to this airy-fairy woo-woo kind of field. He keeps asking "conversationally" if there are any decks that I have my eye on. My birthday is coming up, and I think he's sussing out gift ideas [chortles and rubs knuckles gleefully]. I keep diverting the question to how I really don't need more decks than I already own, and he keeps reminding me that decks aren't that expensive, and I really don't make a habit of throwing money around on expensive frivolities. It's like he's trying to enable ME. I even showed him what can happen if one's not careful--we cruised through the Decks In My Collection lists...scary. He's still asking, though. Should I be making more of an effort to protect this tarot "virgin" (and myself) from getting sucked into the vortex?

gregory

swimming in tarot said:
Should I be making more of an effort to protect this tarot "virgin" (and myself) from getting sucked into the vortex?
Wow - that's a new one. :bugeyed:

I think it is none of your (or our) business to tell him what to do. So show him how to look at your profile and your want list and leave him alone.....