I've been looking at the Light and Shadow Tarot
Here's what I like about it:
- black and white
- linocut
- large cards
- seems to be aesthetically pleasing as well as having a solid tarot background

Please tell me what I won't like!

BUT YOU LIKE PRETTY COLOURS!!!

Linocut - artwork offa someone's kitchen floor ... hmmm ...

Large cards are a b*stard to shuffle, and bend a lot. You'll end up having to trim it.

Cat* said:
ETA: Oh, and while you're at it, can you de-enable me from the Tarot of the Secret Forest, too?

- pretty colors!
- nature-themed!
- two versions of the cards!

So, What's wrong with it?

YOU LIKE BLACK AND WHITE DECKS!!!

Get over the whole nature thing - there's nothing of nature in it, from stone manmade staircases, to imaginary fairies whose aerodynamics would have them crash-landing on takeoff.

The colouring is turgid on one side, and with B&W illustrated backs, how are you ever going to be able to fan the deck and pull a random card? Or leave the "outcome" card face-down while you contemplate the cards leading you there?

flying black kat

Dear Hippiewitchie:

hippiewitchie said:
Hi all!

I stumbled upon this one: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/medicine-woman/review.shtml

I told myself I'd not buy anything that was not already on my wish list, but it's really calling to me......It's a rather inexpensive deck

I have this deck in the originial uncolored version and it's compaion book. I got this deck when it first came out in 1987. In all the years that I have had this deck I have never colored it or used it to read for my self or anyone. It is currently on a bookshelf in my bathroom.

Just knowing were it is kept should tell you a lot. She does not want to move on. In all the years that I have own this deck she has never been near any other of my decks.

Be at Peace

Kathy

cardlady22

Light & Shadow

Let's see . . . there were mentions of a bad smell. Care to take bets on whether 13 years was enough to dissipate it?

Flimsy paper! Are you prepared to laminate it and therefore destroy the "point" of its block printing?

*frantic plea for help*

cardlady22

Secret Forest

I'm at a loss for words . . . Lo Scarabeo is usually my favorite! BUT those borders make me think of a sickly, decaying forest. They would have to go. The scenes aren't unique enough to know which pic would be which card after that.

I'm a major fan of Bug's Life and Honey, I Shrunk The Kids so I thought the bugs, etc were cool BUT the color palette leaves me feeling icky.

Since we're already cutting it up, why not go all the way to tacky and get a roll of patterned contact paper to make new "backs" for whichever side you can stomach the least.

Cat*

nisaba said:
BUT YOU LIKE PRETTY COLOURS!!!
[...]
YOU LIKE BLACK AND WHITE DECKS!!!
*lol* Yes. I like BOTH pretty colors AND black and white decks. :D

---

nisaba said:
Get over the whole nature thing - there's nothing of nature in it, from stone manmade staircases, to imaginary fairies whose aerodynamics would have them crash-landing on takeoff.
Aside from the fact that this description makes me want to look at the deck again, this is getting us into the right direction...

Okay, I did just look at the images again. I still think some of the cards are gorgeous, and I still like the overall color scale, but there are also a lot of cards that are intensely mediocre.

nisaba said:
The colouring is turgid on one side, and with B&W illustrated backs, how are you ever going to be able to fan the deck and pull a random card? Or leave the "outcome" card face-down while you contemplate the cards leading you there?
Well, I usually never fan out my cards but cut and pull from the top.
Now that I think about it, the impossibility of keeping a card face-down does start to sound like a disadvantage... What if I want to pull a clarifying/additional card (from the top)? I would already know which one it was which might influence my decision about pulling it or not...

cardlady22 said:
Since we're already cutting it up, why not go all the way to tacky and get a roll of patterned contact paper to make new "backs" for whichever side you can stomach the least.
Nooo! That's enabling! ;)

Okay, okay, I'm taking it off the wish list.

---

cardlady22 said:
Let's see . . . there were mentions of a bad smell. Care to take bets on whether 13 years was enough to dissipate it?
I could air it out for a few days, couldn't I?

cardlady22 said:
Flimsy paper! Are you prepared to laminate it and therefore destroy the "point" of its block printing?
Oh, this IS bad. Flimsy paper AND huge cards are not a good combination. And I'd hate having to laminate it.

Hmmmm... I did go and took the deck out of the shopping cart. Oh, what the heck, I'll take it off the wishlist, too.

---

Let's see if I still think of either of the two decks after a few weeks have passed or if I have forgotten them by then...

Wow, I'd say that was successful de-enabling. :thumbsup: Thank you for your help! I might come back for more...

SolSionnach

L&S: one of my all time...

Ahem.

large cards. so large that I xeroxed/reduced it and laminated it.

the Princes of Cups and Pentacles have pig-noses (like the Thoth fool, but not as well done).

Very feminist - lots of strong women... but their breasts are rather ... um ... pointed. Really pointed. Like the artist had never seen real women's breasts.
(Perhaps he hadn't, or wasn't interested - he was gay, after all). Lots of buff men. :)

that's as much as I can do. Sorry!

(oh, and I just ordered the Art Nouveau Lenormand from B&N. GET OUT THE NOODLES!!!)

cardlady22

sravana said:
(oh, and I just ordered the Art Nouveau Lenormand from B&N. GET OUT THE NOODLES!!!)

Yes, we know! And you are no longer "noodle-fwapping" material. We must devise new and overwhelming punishments for you.

nisaba

<diffidently> I can do a scaled-down version of Monty Python's Fish-Slapping Dance, with tinned sardines ...

(in or out of the tins)

thorhammer

Light and Shadow - I just got it, yesterday, and am distinctly underwhelmed by it. *wrinkles nose* A very large disappointment. I could recommend at least one other FANTASTIC black and white deck . . . but I won't. This one isn't a patch on it, though. And the card is more like paper, yes, flimsy as hell, and we all know that large card size exacerbates the effect of flimsy stock :eek: so shuffling will be horrid.

Secret Forest - again, underwhelming. The black border thing makes for a deck that wears very fast, and that in combination with the *turgid* (great choice of descriptor!) colour palette makes it look really dingy. Like a dark two-bedroom flat that was built in the early 60's and has subsequently had huge high-rises go up on both east and west sides and therefore gets no natural light, painted in khaki and taupe and Mission Brown - and then add forty years of cooking grime and cigarette smoke (has everyone got great smells assaulting their nostrils just now? :D) . . . it's dingy. Not magical. Damp and dingy and depressing.

\m/ Kat

ilweran

Cat* said:
I could air it out for a few days, couldn't I?

I've had it for years and it smells as bad as the day I bought it, in fact just reading the name of the deck, all that came to mind was the smell and the flimsiness of the cardstock. Nothing about the art at all :mad: :(