A new de-enabling thread

nisaba

Then you're in the grip of an addiction. Let me refer you to shopoholics anonymous. Or Tarotistas Anonymous. they'll lock you in a room and take away your internet access and credit card, and supply you with clean, healthy food and drugs to shop the shaking and anxiety until you have gotten teh addiction out of your body.

I'm only half-joking - I'm a bit that way myself.

BrightEye

That sounds good to me, nisaba. Will you come and visit?

Cat*

BrightEye said:
That sounds good to me, nisaba. Will you come and visit?
She might, but she will have to be strip-searched so she doesn't smuggle in a deck or two. Yes, we're even gonna find that Keychain RWS! })

If you can't resist the addiction right now, at least buy a deck from another AT member instead of ordering one from an online shop.

Cat*

And on a more serious note:
pangolin said:
I'm sorry you took this as something other than playfulness on the behalf of de-enabling. Hatefulness toward BDSM or other kinky stuff? Not from me, I assure you. But apparently it's not an appropriate subject for humor, between strangers, on an internet forum where tone/intent can sometime fail to be communicated successfully. My apologies, truly, for offending you.
Apology accepted - thank you! I obviously didn't get the playfulness of what you said at all, and I'll also admit that the topic can be a sore spot for me at times...

But it's OK now. :)

Le Fanu

Cat* said:
If you can't resist the addiction right now, at least buy a deck from another AT member instead of ordering one from an online shop.

I don´t know about anyone else, but trading with another AT member doesn´t count as a lapse at all. If I want a deck and someone has it up for trading, in my eyes, that just doesn´t count as giving in. I mean, a new deck for the price of postage, who can complain? And it´s environmentally sound to recycle decks within the community.

Unless of course it isn´t about money, and one has these silly notions of addiction debasing the soul and how bad it is to be addicted. But generally, it all boils down to money...

I don´t buy into that at all "it´s wrong to be addicted"... Have you noticed, I hardly ever ask to be de-enabled? (maybe once? then I bought it anyway) I just buy whatever I want. Shamelessly addicted :D :D

I mean, surely, what it boils down to - when people ask to be de-enabled - is money. Isn´t it?

BrightEye

No, it's not about money with me, it's about 'addiction debasing the soul'. I'm a natural Puritan, even though I'm Catholic.

Cat*

Le Fanu said:
I don´t know about anyone else, but trading with another AT member doesn´t count as a lapse at all.
I totally agree about the trading of a deck for a deck. But the way I understood BrightEye, the desires were about additional decks, so I suggested buying them off AT members instead of (huge) online shops.

Le Fanu said:
I mean, surely, what it boils down to - when people ask to be de-enabled - is money. Isn´t it?
Not for me. I asked to be de-enabled from all these many decks because I had noticed that I had very obviously started to buy new decks instead of using the ones I already have (i.e. shopping instead of actual experience). I got annoyed by that and decided this wasn't where I wanted to be going, that my personal focus was and still is on reading the cards (which also may include some sort of studying) and not on collecting decks for collecting's sake. Which doesn't mean that I don't get intrigued by artwork as artwork. But still, what good are the most gorgeous pictures in my possession when I can't seem to find the time to appreciate them? Therefore, my desire for a severe deck shopping decrease. (Btw, this is about me, not anyone else. I'm not trying to set up any rules for anyone besides myself.)

Le Fanu

Cat* said:
what good are the most gorgeous pictures in my possession when I can't seem to find the time to appreciate them? Therefore, my desire for a severe deck shopping decrease. (Btw, this is about me, not anyone else. I'm not trying to set up any rules for anyone besides myself.)

I can see exactly where you´re coming from. This would make a great thread I think (here not the place); "why bother being de-enabled?" What are the real resons?

In a nutshell, I know which decks I love and use and not much threatens to knock them off their perches. I don´t mind having decks I don´t use on the shelf for occasional perusing. However, in certain moments, I am suddenly struck (with a sensation not unlike mild panic) with the sense of just how many wonderful decks I don´t use!

To be honest, Im not really addicted because real life - work, demands, active social life - always takes up most of my hours anyway, and so I don´t have the lifestyle which permits this. If I didn´t work I could allow myself the luxurey of being addicted. But ... erm.. then I suppose I wouldn´t have much money to buy decks! :D

Anyway, off topic... Back to de-enabling....

gregory

I am beyond hope. My soul is debased to a lower level than the base of all things. I am addicted.

Oh the shame. :D

BUT - tell you all what - when you have to buy - have the deck sent to me. I will take the guilt from your tragic shoulders - and the deck as well })

moderndayruth

Anton Tikimirov said:
If my wife ever publishes her book on Tarot of Eastern Europe....none of you are to want it.
Well, excuse me, Anton... Have a look at my location! You seriously think i'd miss a book like that?! You must be kidding! :D
On a serious note - do pm me PLEASE once the book is (hopefully) published, i'll definitely buy it! :)
(Not even asking for de-enabling, its a noble cause to promote Tarot in EE and thus should be encouraged by all means... Think of staring a Facebook group! ;))
gregory said:
BUT - tell you all what - when you have to buy - have the deck sent to me. I will take the guilt from your tragic shoulders - and the deck as well })
As a devoted and loyal friend in need - i will help Greg in taking the guilt... and decks!!! })