A new de-enabling thread

Le Fanu

Manda said:
Okay I have a rough one. Please talk me out of the Soprafino. I was inadvertently enabled an another thread. I went to sleep last night dreaming about this deck, and woke up this morning still thinking about it.

The ways I have -sort of- de-enabled myself are thus :

1. I learned on RWS, so non-scenic pips have not really been my thing. I will be making a leap to learn to read with TdM.
2. I've read it has little lamination and with three kids and a veritable herd of guinea pigs running around, I can be a little hard on my decks.
3. I am practically the queen of CGI decks, and while I realize they might have no class, I am okay with possibly being a no class kind of girl. The Soprafino seems eminently classy to me, and I am not sure that is who I am.
4. Because of having said children and guinea pigs, it might be a little pricey for me.
5. In an effort to de-enable myself, I bought an Ancient Italian Tarot, which I believe has the same artwork in larger form for aging eyes and less price

CGI ? Should I know what that means ??

ahem..... *trying to overcome the possibilty that the Soprafino might be "dated"*

Best way to de-enable on the Soprafino here is to speak the whole truth... You´ll buy it , love it and never ever use it. We´ve all learnt this the hard way. Meneghello decks have a reputation for being exquisite, but "too delicate to use", and nobody dares shuffle them. I bought an Ancient Italian when it first came out (2001?) and loved it and used it and - I can tell you - it ages very well. I just keep going back to it. Even though I had a "back-up" (which I traded), then bought the LoS Classical Tarot (2 copies), Soprafino, Dotti and all the other decks which I thought the Ancient Italian had made me like.

But I just keep going back to my old Ancient Italian. Big looming images, good lamination, quality cardstock, uncluttered borders (not that the Soprafino doesn´t have these things and not that Im trying to enable on THAT!). You will find that the Soprafino is a bit redundent...

You won´t use it, I promise...

jackdaw*

Ditto on the Soprafino. Beautiful, but too nice to use everyday. Like your grandmother's fine china that sits in the cabinet and has to be dusted. And the differing packaging/laminate options will do your head in. Laminated? Unlaminated? Box? Bookcover? And there's no way to specify unless you're buying from someone you know. You pays your nickels, you takes your chances.

Le Fanu, CGI is computer-generated imagery. Like the Gilded, or Tarot of the Elves, etc.

Ship of Fools. Like every deck out there that takes existing artwork and tries to cram it into a Tarot mold, there are hits and misses. There is a Fool on every card, which means this will be a hard deck to use for "serious" readings. It's too tongue in cheek.

swimming in tarot

Ack! I went to Decks to see what the Ship of Fools was that you were deenabling on, not having noticed it before, and inadvertently started enabling myself. In spite of what you said, the six images there actually work for me. I don't have a problem with a fool in each card, as it's the fool's journey, after all. Um, the "miss" cards are not shown? Every deck has some cards that aren't as good. Is it a high proportion in this one?

This is a little above my price range, but if you could say something nasty about the deck so I don't feel I've rejected it just because I'm a tightwad....

gregory

swimming in tarot said:
Um, the "miss" cards are not shown? Every deck has some cards that aren't as good. Is it a high proportion in this one?
The miss cards are not shown, that's right. I can't get a THING out of this deck.

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
ahem..... *trying to overcome the possibilty that the Soprafino might be "dated"*
}) And if that deck is dated, what can you say about the Vieville? :bugeyed:

ETA: Ship of Fools. The late Brian Williams was a wonderful person, a great artist and scholar - but I can't bring myself to buy this deck. Even though it's based on scholarly info, to me it's rather a gimmick. :( Sorry to say. :(

magpie9

Ship of Fools

I had this once...I thought it would be charming, medieval, disengenious. The fools would be amusing. There would be deep tarot wisdom to ferrret out of each card.
No amusement value whatsoever. Most of them looked like they were being martyred all the time. And too many of them. I's a known fact that unlike the circus,where the mofe fools the better, you can stick too many fools on one card. It becomes depressing. It invokes guilt, because, after all, they're doing it for your benefit, and thy are clearly miserable, and beyond critical mass. I was lucky the deck didn't blow up in my hands, taking nearby innocent decks with it! It would have been worse to read with it, and that wasn't possible either. I couldn't make sense of a card for the day, let alone a 3 card draw. It was a nightmare.. So I traded it away, and a few months later saw that that person was attempting to trade it away herself. She's a nice person, I hope she succeeded.
That damn deck should have a warning label!

magpie9

sravana said:
}) And if that deck is dated, what can you say about the Vieville? :bugeyed:

(
The Soprafino is dated and frou-frou. The Vieville is a timeless classic. tsk tsk. I would never have thought that of you, Sravana. :bugeyed: But surely you were jesting? Yeah. That's it....jesting! :joke:

thorhammer

Guys, thanks for killing the Ship of Fools (I almost typed Whip of Fools - mags, I think your comment about martyrdom got to me :D). I reckon that's a success story, and am off to my wishlist to remove it!

:party:

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

magpie9 said:
The Soprafino is dated and frou-frou. The Vieville is a timeless classic. tsk tsk. I would never have thought that of you, Sravana. :bugeyed: But surely you were jesting? Yeah. That's it....jesting! :joke:
AHEM.
This is a deenabling thread, and if I say that the Vieville (which is hideously expensive and HTF) is dated, then dammit, it's DATED! I mean! Just look at those cards! Someone couldn't color inside the darned lines!!!!1!1!!

(I don't think either deck is dated!)

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
Guys, thanks for killing the Ship of Fools (I almost typed Whip of Fools - mags, I think your comment about martyrdom got to me :D). I reckon that's a success story, and am off to my wishlist to remove it!

:party:

\m/ Kat
YAY!!
Happy happy joy joy

::dances...::