A new de-enabling thread

Cat*

Manda said:
Well, the man has promised a deck in return for my cheerful acceptance of being at a Warhammer tournament all weekend. I am thinking the Ananda. Any words of de-enabling for this?
Huge titles. Very limited color-scale, so all cards look similar. The Emperor looks as if he's really extremely bored with his job. The Empress would like to leave Earth as soon as possible. Neither she nor the High Priestess not the Star even want to look at the world around them. Strength is showing you her slides from the zoo on an old crumply blanket. And what about all those blankets, anyway? And about all those planets, spheres, and the general swirly action in so many of the cards? What's the link between puzzle pieces and spheres? I think it's very obvious that this deck is out to confuse you, not to enlighten you on anything...

Are you sure this would even come close to reimbursing you for enduring a Warhammer tournament? And if you accepted cheerfully, why do you need reimbursement in the first place? That is, why not just wait for a tarot set in that world?

nisaba

Fear not, the non-Internet so-called "real" world has suddenly de-enabled me on that thing that wasn't a Tarot deck ...

BrightEye

Now, folks, I still haven't been de-enabled. I asked to be talked out of playing card decks. Nobody bothered. Yesterday I went to the shop AGAIN, fingered them, looked longingly at them... I know they are just pretty pictures and useless as reading decks, but but but... I LIKE PRETTY PICTURES!!!

cardlady22

playing card decks . . . pretty pictures
So, these decks you are looking at don't even have some sort of educational value? Pshaw! If the deck isn't even an oracle, then it should at least provide you with new information, or identification of species or something!

jackdaw*

I fell for that once.

A pretty set of Lo Scarabeo playing cards. Pretty zodiac pictures. Pretty attractive. Pretty small pictures. Pretty useless. Pretty dusty in the cupboard.

Buy them only if you play a lot of solitaire. Otherwise, why bother?

SolSionnach

I play a lot of solitare - on the computer! :bugeyed:

I did find a couple of playing card decks that I liked (see my profile) as well as a couple of transformational decks - I like them to look at from time to time. As an oracle? Useless, but playing cards could be used as such... IF you figure out how to read them. I have a hard enough time learning tarot and Lenormand - who has TIME to learn something else!

rif

BrightEye said:
Now, folks, I still haven't been de-enabled. I asked to be talked out of playing card decks. Nobody bothered. Yesterday I went to the shop AGAIN, fingered them, looked longingly at them... I know they are just pretty pictures and useless as reading decks, but but but... I LIKE PRETTY PICTURES!!!

I can help with this one. (My first de-enabling!)

You aren't going to read with them, so that leaves their value in pretty pictures, right?

But how often are you going to look at those pictures? Where are they going to be stored? How often are you going to pull them out? Maybe that space could be taken up by something you're more likely to actually USE at a later date. Otherwise they are just something to clutter up your living space, which you'll probably not look at when you have tarot/oracle decks awaiting your attention more often.

I'm with jackdaw, they sound like they'd be useless in a cupboard unless you're going to have them out several times a week.

magpie9

It's not easy to keep playing card decks happy. They Need to be used, and grow fat and whiny and slothful if not exercised regularly.
You will have to learn to play cards.
If you already know how to play cards, you will have to actually start playing cards regularly, like once a week for an evening. You will have to come up with 2-3 other people willing to do this with you. Then you will have to pick a game (bridge, hearts, spades, poker, double deck pinnacle, whatever..) and agree on the rules. You will have to get snacks, and beer or soda, and placate your mate and children (if any) if they're not interested in doing this, or even being around it. Not to mention the terrible guilt involved in spending one precious evening a week of Family Time on this activity while your family languishes without your attention. Your children's grades will slide down hill, and your mate will start flirting with the water cooler at work, as he develops a little paunch.
All this trouble and expense and general brouhaha in order to exercise a deck of cards you bought because they are "pretty."
And no, playing solitaire with them is not the same thing. It's like running on the treadmill in bad weather instead of on the road. Pretty soon you aren't running at all, and are fat and slothful rotting in your cupboard getting dusty.
You want to be a good card mama, don't you? You want your decks to be happy and healthy, and really, you shouldn't adopt something unless you can take care of it properly.Think clearly before you make this huge investment of time, money, energy, and emotion, and inconvenience your family and other decks. It would be better really, and considerably less work and expense, when you think of it, to just adopt another child from a third world country, perhaps with disabilities.
Not to mention the feelings of your tarots and oracles about this. I hope you aren't planning to put these paying cards in the same cupboard as your other cards. Results of time together behind a closed door could be fatal.
Perhaps you shouldn't get these playing cards, after all?

emmsma

Bravo, magpie9! Excellent de-enabling!

magpie9

emmsma said:
Bravo, magpie9! Excellent de-enabling!
Only if it works, LOL!
So far it's just an Excellent try, but thanks for the compliment ;)