A new de-enabling thread

BrightEye

Hilarious! I have to get them now, just to see which Tarot deck will pick the first fight!

magpie9 said:
It's not easy to keep playing card decks happy. They Need to be used, and grow fat and whiny and slothful if not exercised regularly.
You will have to learn to play cards.
If you already know how to play cards, you will have to actually start playing cards regularly, like once a week for an evening. You will have to come up with 2-3 other people willing to do this with you. Then you will have to pick a game (bridge, hearts, spades, poker, double deck pinnacle, whatever..) and agree on the rules. You will have to get snacks, and beer or soda, and placate your mate and children (if any) if they're not interested in doing this, or even being around it. Not to mention the terrible guilt involved in spending one precious evening a week of Family Time on this activity while your family languishes without your attention. Your children's grades will slide down hill, and your mate will start flirting with the water cooler at work, as he develops a little paunch.
All this trouble and expense and general brouhaha in order to exercise a deck of cards you bought because they are "pretty."
And no, playing solitaire with them is not the same thing. It's like running on the treadmill in bad weather instead of on the road. Pretty soon you aren't running at all, and are fat and slothful rotting in your cupboard getting dusty.
You want to be a good card mama, don't you? You want your decks to be happy and healthy, and really, you shouldn't adopt something unless you can take care of it properly.Think clearly before you make this huge investment of time, money, energy, and emotion, and inconvenience your family and other decks. It would be better really, and considerably less work and expense, when you think of it, to just adopt another child from a third world country, perhaps with disabilities.
Not to mention the feelings of your tarots and oracles about this. I hope you aren't planning to put these paying cards in the same cupboard as your other cards. Results of time together behind a closed door could be fatal.
Perhaps you shouldn't get these playing cards, after all?

magpie9

BrightEye said:
Hilarious! I have to get them now, just to see which Tarot deck will pick the first fight!
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!It's a DE-ENABLE, NOT an ENABLE!!!!!!!!!

<magpie looks around for an innocent deck of playing cards to destroy, in her Anguish at Utter Failure> :(

Debra

Give her time, Magpie. What you say will sink in slowly.

Here's another reason not to buy playing card decks...it leaves you more money for the few tarot decks you really really really want. ;)

nisaba

Debra said:
Here's another reason not to buy playing card decks...
"Playing card decks?

What strange new thing is this ... ?

Starshower

Help, this is catching.

Are round playing cards any good? (To read tarotically, of course;) )

They come in ever such a pretty little round tin ...

BrightEye

Debra said:
Give her time, Magpie. What you say will sink in slowly.

Here's another reason not to buy playing card decks...it leaves you more money for the few tarot decks you really really really want. ;)
But I want.... playing cards, too. Those nice ones with Grandeville's illustrations. And Gulliver's Travels. And hot air baloons.

SolSionnach

BE, trust me - you'll get them, be disappointed at how small they are, as well as the sameness factor, you'll put them away and rarely if ever look at them again. Total waste of tarot card purchasing money!

cardlady22

Re: Help this is catching

Starshower said:
Are round playing cards any good? (To read tarotically, of course;) )

They come in ever such a pretty little round tin ...

Not sure if this particular area belongs in the Tarot de-enabling thread; the playing cards are an oracle in my estimation.

Tins are always good BUT round cards are absolutely annoying! Since the PC pip arrangements are not adjusted, there is a lot of white space surrounding them . . . not to mention the fact that they just won't lay out and stay put! They can't excape their "inner Frisbee"!

I am insanely addicted to decks and cuteness, but these strange shapes are a mere sales gimmick. I mean, the first place I saw these types of decks was in the Oriental Trading Company catalog. Absolutely not the same class we are used to here on AT!

Chronata

Well...we don't have an oracle de-enabling thread...but gods I really wish we did! It would have saved me from getting involved in oracles that break my heart, and never even call the morning after.

Playing card decks are like a virus. Or like wild rabbits...

Believe me...before you know it, they will have bred and insidiously taken over what little space you have to collect tarot and pretty artwork.

And really...just how many decks of playing cards do you need?

You may think that a new shiny one, with flowers instead of hearts, or interesting pirates on the court cards is gonna enhance your playing card readings...but really, it doesn't. It merely becomes a distraction.

And using a transformation deck, or a pretty little playing card deck to actually play card games with is nearly impossible.

Do yourself a favor...don't even look at them! They look all little and innocent, until you start bringing them into your home.
Then they grow and multiply and you have to shove them all into a large piece of furniture that takes up too much space in the middle of your living room.

And then you never even take them out to see the light of day, or lovingly pet them...because you already have that ONE playing card deck that you use all the time anyway.

Trust me on this one....

gregory

Someone GAVE me some playing card decks. Really classy collectors ones. They were pretty. Nice tins. Appear on ebay at silly prices too....

I sold them on. ME, I, the collecting NUT. :eek:

That tells you everything you need to know about the need to buy THOSE things !

Not to mention after reading this thread I thank my lucky stars I didn't keep them. Think of the cross breeding possibilities... :bugeyed:

You MIGHT need two small plain decks, kept safely away from the tarots, JUST for Solitaire when the power goes down... Available in any dollar store ! (best to buy cheap ones; as you only NEED them when the power goes down, you might be playing in crap lighting conditions and spill things on them !!)