A new de-enabling thread

nisaba

deviant moon

Someone else's enablement is my assisted de-enablement, which kinda balance the scales of Justice a little.

Deviant Moon may have been the biggest-selling deck, but when I opened it, it was just bizarre and non-functional.

A friend of mine has a bizarre and non-functional teenage daughter who's interested in Tarot, but won't use copies of the Mythic or Osho Zen because her Mum uses them all the time, and won't use the Sacred Rose because it's got flowers in it, "and only <sneer> girls like flowers".

So I thought, kill two bones with one axe, and in the interests of my own de-enablement I gave her the deck and referred her to the study URL. I'll give her a week, tops, and I'll bet she'll be posting here about how dreadful it is ... <cackle>

And purchases? I've been effectively de-enabled, if temporarily, by a sudden-onset combination of poverty and telephone bills. Not to mention, there's been nothing I'm really hungry for at the moment. Next time someone needs de-enablement, let's just take their plastic off them.

swimming in tarot

Deviant Moon

I did eventually get the Deviant Moon after being temporarily disabled from it (thanks everyone for your efforts!). It's true what I was told: the pictures are grainy and the texture plasticky, kind of like a phone card, which is thinner plastic than a credit card. The blow-ups look fantastic on the artist's website, but they didn't translate into crisp card images. Some of the cards look like the artist may have been short of ideas. The spread sheet is an awkward size relative to the deck, the inner box is flimsy, and keeping the whole kit is awkward and wasteful of space. The deck is kind of weird, so finding your own interpretations is required. They are definitely there to be found, as well a sort of world-view lesson as you go through the deck from Fool to Ace of Pentacles, but it may not be your "thing". Best to see if you can get your hands on a demo copy, or look through someone else's before you take the plunge.

wytchwood

Aha! I knew it! The Deviant Moon is disappointing in all the ways I expected and thank you for making me glad I didn't buy it! Let that be a lesson... for yous lot... wot..nearly....might buy it...or something....

thorhammer

wytchwood said:
Aha! I knew it! The Deviant Moon is disappointing in all the ways I expected and thank you for making me glad I didn't buy it! Let that be a lesson... for yous lot... wot..nearly....might buy it...or something....
Yup . . . flash in the pan. I had it (traded for it) and honestly, I think I read with it once. I was so taken with the Patrick's images when he posted them . . . and USG just destroyed them with their shoddy print quality and hideous lamination. I couldn't believe how grainy the images were; it was such a disappointment.

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

Yes, the artwork (Deviant Moon by the way...) was not really at fault here(although I didn´t like the "real" toes and hands on the figures, photographed arms etc. Put me off straight away...)

However, it is more a case of how US Games managed to keep the reader at arms length via the lamination varnish. You could never "get inside" and meditate on these cards (looking around from left to right and conversing with the people of this strange land, as I believe you´re supposed to do when meditating). Perhaps only with an ice-pick to break through the lamination....

The only deck in my collection I keep forgetting to use. I have it close at hand in a bag. But there are always so many others I think of reading with first...

DreamWalker

I suspect this is where I come when someone needs to talk me out of something...

*hangs head* I am dedicated right now to my Inner Child cards - I said no cheating til I felt I KNEW this deck and we had developed a knowing communication between one another... well, that is happening... and they are wonderfull and the artwork is right up my alley... and they trigger my intuition so much!

but dang it, the Gilded has caught my eye...

I LOVE the Fool and Tower card... and the Tower card is my nemesis otherwise!

tell me those are the only 2 great cards in the deck, right? don't want to buy a deck when you only like 2 cards and the rest are SO SO SO SO SO lame.

right? :D

I appreciate your help... Its more of a sudden urge because I am conversing with 2 people who use Gilded and so its like following me or something.

nisaba

DreamWalker said:

tell me those are the only 2 great cards in the deck, right? don't want to buy a deck when you only like 2 cards
<drapes arm over shoulder kindly> Sweetheart, don't think of it as two good cards. Think of it as 76 bad cards.

There! Now don't you feel better?

gregory

AND - if you care about tarot - even the artist admits he knew nothing about tarot when he created it - and believe me, it shows.....

And the borders are howwid.

wytchwood

DreamWalker said:
I suspect this is where I come when someone needs to talk me out of something...

*hangs head* I am dedicated right now to my Inner Child cards - I said no cheating til I felt I KNEW this deck and we had developed a knowing communication between one another... well, that is happening... and they are wonderfull and the artwork is right up my alley... and they trigger my intuition so much!

but dang it, the Gilded has caught my eye...

tell me those are the only 2 great cards in the deck, right? don't want to buy a deck when you only like 2 cards and the rest are SO SO SO SO SO lame.

right? :D

I appreciate your help... Its more of a sudden urge because I am conversing with 2 people who use Gilded and so its like following me or something.

The Fool in the Gilded? But it looks like George W Bush! I know he says it was not on purpose, but it really does look like him. If that doesn't put you off alongside 76 other bad cards, there's no hope *sob*

gregory

wytchwood said:
The Fool in the Gilded? But it looks like George W Bush! I know he says it was not on purpose, but it really does look like him. If that doesn't put you off alongside 76 other bad cards, there's no hope *sob*
OH GOD; I had forgotten that. :eek: