View Single Post
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie9
Her husband does not speak to her, or treat her as an equal, and his only real interest in her is in her fertility. He blames her for not conceiving; she wonders if he is the one who cannot make a child.
She is lonely, and aimlessly wanders into the closed off or unused rooms of this huge house. In this one the candles are lit and the picture shows her the future she fears emotionally alone and sad. Perhaps blaming herself for not having resisted this marriage that brings profit to her family and misery to herself. There is a statue of a Knight on the table next to her. Will she notice it? Will it remind her of men her own age and class, will it tempt her to find someone who will give her the love and attention she misses so much?
That's a pretty elaborate story, and if that's what you see, it's what you see...but I don't think it fits the picture, or relates to the Queen/Pents as we know her. You might want to take a look at the "Queens" thread we started. There an interesting point there that while this thread focuses on marriage and Mary the prostitute, there is much to be said about the tasteful and elaborate decor of the room and the Queen's outfit--which I think tells us far more than things that don't appear in the picture.

What we see would indicate to me that we are very much underestimating her as the Queen/Pents if we cast her in a story which puts her entirely at the mercy of her husband (who is where? what evidence do we have of him being...anything? Even alive?). To my mind, this card isn't at all like some other cards in the deck where there is a threatening male in foreground or background to help us formulate this woman's story as sad and victimized.

To the contary, from the evidence that I *see* in this card, this is a very confident, elegant, and generally satisfied woman. A Queen in her castle, and for the Queen/Pents that is a most beautiful and domestic home. The only story we have beyond the richness and taste of her furnishings and clothes is the picture of Mary that she clearly dislikes. Again, that picture isn't about marriage or children or romance of any kind. She's not looking at a picture of cupid or happy lovers or a wife with husband and kids, is she?

What that picture of Mary M. is about, ultimately, is a woman giving up pleasures and wealth to be spiritual. I think what bothers this woman is that the painting uncomfortably reminds her that being rich, tasteful, surrounded by beautiful things, and admired does not mean she's going to get to heaven. In fact, given the evidence, she could well have it all. The perfect (to her) husband with money, good looks; beautiful children who are seen but not heard, the admiration of neighbors and friends. She could be the Queen of Society, dictating who is in and who is out, the richest woman in the neighborhood. There could be not one thing in her life that she is not satisfied with.

And yet she knows that unlike Mary M. she does not and never will be willing to surrender it all in order to be on the side of light rather than darkness.
Top   #9