A new de-enabling thread

Aerin

The images look very stylised. Solandia only gives it a mediocre rating.

Last time I had a deck with very stylised images (Rune Tarot, also had the Moon Oracle) I liked the pictures but the deck read very badly. Nothing of depth to go off. This deck seems to me like it may well have the same effect. No real character - maybe nice wallpaper or fabric but that's it.

Aerin

Starshower

I came upon Liz Dean's Golden Tarot in a shop today (I wasn't looking, honest). On the few scans on here they look all strange & gentle & LOVELY! Sort of mock - medieval / modern / melancholy / Visconti-Sforza-ish melange ... but the gold box looked nice, and I can cope with pretty, pictureless pips, and, and, and ...
Help???????????

magpie9

Golden--Really thin crummy cardstock.

Starshower

Oh dear, what a shame. :(
But the pics look so lovely .... Maybe if I were v careful with them?
[I sense a 'should I, shouldn't I' spread coming on.]
Thanks.

Le Fanu

Starshower said:
I came upon Liz Dean's Golden Tarot in a shop today (I wasn't looking, honest). On the few scans on here they look all strange & gentle & LOVELY! Sort of mock - medieval / modern / melancholy / Visconti-Sforza-ish melange ... but the gold box looked nice, and I can cope with pretty, pictureless pips, and, and, and ...
Help???????????

O, please, I urge you, stop in your tracks!

I hardly ever trade decks, and this was a deck which was in my collection for less than 48 hours. I didn´t even add it to my profile/deck list through sheer shame. I traded it so fast. Before you could utter the words "shoddy cr*p" it had vanished forever from my collection.

And I fumigated and vigorously salted the part of my desk where it had briefly lain.

It is nasty, cheap, with appalling "bus-pass" lamination. Flimsy, insubstantial symbolism that you can´t get your teeth in. Lots of two-dimensional figures doing not very much.

O but lots and lots of special effort put into the box. And then it is shrink wrapped so you can´t see what you´re getting. References on the box to "gold", "sumptuous", "golden", "Visconti-Sforza."(I can feel from your post that the box has already worked its insidious magic with you too.)

And no mention whatsoever on the box of the words "rip-off" or "tat".

Gross misleading of the consumer.

Starshower

Successfully de-enabled.

Gulp!!! Splutter!!!
Fumigation-bad, eh?
Oh dear. And I'd set my heart on it - was going to buy it tomorrow instead of food for the week.
But if it's "all fur coat & no knickers" (as the saying goes), then perhaps I'll bow to your better wisdom & resist.
SO disappointed. But you're right, Le Fanu - I did fall for all that silly talk, & the wistful, melancholy, apparent beauty.

[I feel like Gollum arguing with himself here!]

But flimsy in symbolism besides cardstock? Only 2-D? I like my Tarot sets to have AT LEAST the 4 dimensions!
Plastic-coated?

OK, you win. At least I get to eat!
Cheers for the help.

Le Fanu

Starshower said:
But if it's "all fur coat & no knickers" (as the saying goes), then perhaps I'll bow to your better wisdom & resist

There´s an Irish expression I like; "all gong and no dinner"...

That just about sums it up!

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
O, please, I urge you, stop in your tracks!

I hardly ever trade decks, and this was a deck which was in my collection for less than 48 hours. I didn´t even add it to my profile/deck list through sheer shame. I traded it so fast. Before you could utter the words "shoddy cr*p" it had vanished forever from my collection.

And I fumigated and vigorously salted the part of my desk where it had briefly lain.

It is nasty, cheap, with appalling "bus-pass" lamination. Flimsy, insubstantial symbolism that you can´t get your teeth in. Lots of two-dimensional figures doing not very much.

O but lots and lots of special effort put into the box. And then it is shrink wrapped so you can´t see what you´re getting. References on the box to "gold", "sumptuous", "golden", "Visconti-Sforza."(I can feel from your post that the box has already worked its insidious magic with you too.)

And no mention whatsoever on the box of the words "rip-off" or "tat".

Gross misleading of the consumer.
Sravana stands and applauds.

If I'd ever considered buying that deck (heck, I don't even know what it looks like!) I would scratch it off my list so fast that your head would spin!

Brilliant, Le Fanu!! Brilliant, I say!!