Ethics on Where to Read Cards

Nevada

levannah60 said:
You can read in public with playing cards, just pretend like you are playing a game or something...many a time I've laid out a game of solitaire....and didn't play, just read....you get the idea....be creative....
Excellent tip! I love to use the solitaire layout when reading playing cards. I used to make it portable and private with my old Palm Pilot's solitaire game.

Seafra

levannah60 said:
You can read in public with playing cards, just pretend like you are playing a game or something...many a time I've laid out a game of solitaire....and didn't play, just read....you get the idea....be creative....

I think the goal spoken of here is to stay away from a 'pretend' situation. Common sense is the best rule of thumb and if that rule is against a personal creed then I'd hope someone who has the enlightened presence to hear the cards would use the same voice reading in public.

Nevada

Seafra said:
I think the goal spoken of here is to stay away from a 'pretend' situation. Common sense is the best rule of thumb and if that rule is against a personal creed then I'd hope someone who has the enlightened presence to hear the cards would use the same voice reading in public.
Reading playing cards isn't by any stretch a "pretend" situation. However, it isn't Tarot -- at least not with a full Tarot deck. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

ETA: I didn't read levannah60's post as meaning that someone should do this in a place where it's not allowed -- Seafra's hotel or elsewhere. I took levannah60's post as referring to another way to read privately (for one's own privacy, which was the topic of the thread) in any public place where one didn't want to break out Tarot cards because either one wanted privacy or the Tarot cards might offend others. I don't see that as "pretense" -- at least not as any unethical form of it, only another alternative, since playing cards are another valid form of oracle -- not Tarot, but every bit as capable of providing a good reading. Of course, only levanna60 can confirm exactly what she meant in that post. I also don't see the solitaire layout as a pretense, but as a convenience, since I started using it because it was available on any computer I used, so it didn't require special Tarot software to do a reading. The cards underneath those showing in the deal often provide the perfect clarification for those cards. It has become my playing card (oracle) layout of choice for that reason -- not to fool anyone, since I never use it in public.

Seafra, I may be wrong, so forgive me if I am, but I think you're taking posts as attacks on your hotel's policy when they're just responding to the topic of the thread. Relax, please? I, for one, don't have a problem with you doing your job, however you have to do it. If I came across earlier as attacking that, it wasn't my intent -- only to discuss such policies and our response to them in a general way. Peace.

Seafra

Nevada said:
Ahem. Reading playing cards isn't by any stretch a "pretend" situation. However, it isn't Tarot -- at least not with a full Tarot deck. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Didn't say it was. I was responding to someone who said "just pretend like you are playing a game or something".

When I use the cards I do not pretend anything.

ETA you quoted the post as a matter of fact. That isn't my personal approach in any way, shape, or form. To each their own. :)

Nevada

Seafra said:
Didn't say it was. I was responding to someone who said "just pretend like you are playing a game or something".

When I use the cards I do not pretend anything.

ETA you quoted the post as a matter of fact. That isn't my personal approach in any way, shape, or form. To each their own. :)
Funny, I didn't even note the use of "pretend" in the post I quoted, since I didn't take it with that meaning -- more as a way to maintain privacy, which I don't consider pretense in the usual sense of the word. It's like closing the blinds at night. When I do that, I'm not pretending not to be home, just shutting out prying eyes, and protecting others from seeing something they may not want to.

Seafra

Nevada said:
Funny, I didn't even note the use of "pretend" in the post I quoted, since I didn't take it with that meaning -- more as a way to maintain privacy, which I don't consider pretense in the usual sense of the word.

Again, this may be a problem with text communication. But to me there is a clear meaning of 'pretend' in the original post. Makes things all messy sometimes though.
The "don't ask, don't tell' could fall into play here ... and not a darned thing wrong with that.

nisaba

Fudugazi said:
As a matter of fact, many Wiccans regard tarot cards as their religious material, sanctified and consecrated on their altars and used for spiritual purposes, which include divination. Wicca is a valid religion, recognised as such.
This is the second time in a few days that I've seen Wicca specifically come up.

Tarot is not limited to Wicca, and in fact did not originate in Wicca. I am a Wiccan, but in the other mention of Wicca and Tarot, it was phrased as an assumption that someone living a spiriutual life would be Wiccan.

I know scads of very deeply spiritual people who are not Wiccans. And as a Wiccan, at the moment I am deeply benefitting by reading Sufi texts and the Torah and related Hebraic texts.

Tarot is not a Wiccan religious practice.

I can be a perfectly devout and complete Wiccan without ever touching a deck.

I can be a perfectly devout and complete any-other-religion and use Tarot all the time.

As a human being, I use Tarot about every day. As a Wiccan, I never use Tarot. As a Wiccan I never use my dowsing pendulum either - I use it as a person whose religion is a moot point. As a Wiccan, I use my four Ritual Objects. They are all that I need - in fact more than I need - to be a good Wiccan. To be a good Wiccan, all I really need is my mind.

Every time I leave my house I wear a rainbow hat. I feel naked and exposed without it. Is it an article of religious faith because it has colours in it that may or may not be used in religious practice and I feel all energetically messed-up without it? I think not. Does it identify me as a Wiccan, or as gay? To some people, maybe. Do I intend that? <shrugs>. Do I care? No. Do I mind if people don't read those meanings into it? Nope. Are they both relevant to me? Yes, but so what?

I use Tarot all the time.

I am a Wiccan all the time.

Tarot and Wicca have nothing at all in common with each other, except that they are involvements of mine. I also like reading Patrick White's novels - they are another involvement. When I'm not between cars, I enjoy driving really, really fast and in fact I've held a CAMS licence in the past. I am a Wiccan. Is fast driving an article of faith? No, but it is as deeply intrinsic to me as an individual as my faith. Is Tarot an article of faith? No, but it is as intrinsic to me as fast driving.

nisaba

Seafra said:
Daughter just came in and is offering me a nice cup of coffeeee. I love coffee and am taking her up on it. Actually she didn't offer but she read this over my shoulder and is laughing now.. :D

BTW she has a degree in Hotel Management Human Resources. She said to quote this line: "Personal hobbies are to be kept personal not public" and that's the official hotel credo -- religious practices fall under hobbies.
Can the rest of us all just settle down and let Seafra obey the law and the company policy, please?

If anyone doesn't like the law of the country they live in, they are free to emigrate, or to embark on a political career to *change* any unfair laws. Until you're prepared to put your actions where your mouths are ... then ...

nisaba

SunChariot said:
I'd rather people don't breast feed in public too. I'm not even a private person that much by nature, but that to me is a very very private stituation.
Do you eat in public? Is the baby less of a person than you?

Alpha-Omega

I only read in public once. At a boarders bookstore. I with someone who I met there who was also into tarot and we wanted to read for someone so we asked some random people in the store and I read for them. it was fun. I normally dont like public places for readings, its more of a private thing.