All new de-enabling thread

gregory

nisaba said:
And yet another de-enablement, provided on the very link you yourself supplied: "Rhiannon Faulkner, owner of Say It With Angels Ltd, has built up her reputation as one of the most genuine clairvoyants in Devon over the past few years, ..." Argh! That de-enabled me so quickly that I never read an other word. And *certainly* didn't get to any pics.

ARE YOU MAD? He's American.

Poor Max would be spinning in his grave right about now.

ARE YOU MAD? He's French.
I am mad, yes. Sorry !

But Angels - it's a fair cop.... :|

sapienza

I think I'd like to get the 1JJ Swiss. I'm really starting to enjoy reading with non-scenic pip decks and this one looks interesting. Can anyone please help to de-enable me? And yes, I KNOW I already have enough decks but that doesn't seem to stop me wanting this one as well :)

conversus

The 1JJ is kinda-sorta a must have deck IMHO. But I would not suggest spending real money on one. Best to get one used on Ebay so you can douse it in Cedar shavings and wonder about its past lives. I haven't seen or handled one of the new printings. I bet they are slick and shiny like Deviant Moon. I don't think that the images would work so well under all that gloss. <Any dissenting opinion gratefully received!>

I love mine, but I can't honestly say that I read with them often. I felt guilty the moment I bid for it, and elated/disappointed when I actually won it, and elated again when I opened the really musty overtly yellow outer box and found the copy of Mr. Kaplan's rather large LWB tucked inside all foxed up. Its most recent digs had been rather low rent, it seems. Down at heel, as it were, like Evita before she threw it all away for the Sun! It has been a rather roller-coaster kind of deck for me.

I'm not so good at this de-enabling thing. But the backs are a bit troubling.

I believe that this was the deck that started Mr. Kaplan's meteoric rise. Does that motivate you one way or another?

It didn't me.

This was the best I could do, honestly!

CED

sapienza

:laugh: Well conversus....that was AWFUL ;) I want it even more now!!! I missed one on ebay the other day unfortunately. Are the new ones super plastic printings? That would de-enable me. Unless of course I could find an old one! Does anyone actually READ with them? Come on.....I need help :)

Debra

How about if I insult some of your other decks, you look at them with new eyes and trade the loser for an IJJ?

sapienza

:laugh: So....it looks like this is a deck I NEED to get then.

teomat

sapienza said:
I think I'd like to get the 1JJ Swiss. I'm really starting to enjoy reading with non-scenic pip decks and this one looks interesting. Can anyone please help to de-enable me? And yes, I KNOW I already have enough decks but that doesn't seem to stop me wanting this one as well :)
It's really nothing special.

Unlike the Ancient Italian which has loads of quirky features, the 1JJ is very bland in comparison. Very little to stimulate your intuition (or brain cells).
The Junon/Jupiter thing is also quite irritating - how would you read them?

The courts are mostly dull too.

gregory

sapienza said:
It was my first deck. And look what it led to. DON'T DO IT !!!!

Your heirs will thank you })

Le Fanu

1JJ Swiss; my first!

OK, you're going have to stop and seriously think about this one and - hopefully - are de-enabled along the way.

For some odd reason, they changed the French titles, which were just so much a part of it and put the titles in English. I don't know if, like me, you get irritated with Anglicised foreign decks. I want my Italians to speak Italian, my Rohrig to speak German, (and of course my RWS and Thoth to speak English) and my Swiss cards to speak French. So even if you do weaken and decide to buy it, you can't rush out this afteroon and buy it; some serious scouting around is needed. Otherwise you'll get a deck with only half the atmosphere.

Plus it such a quintessentially 70s deck. It seems somehow pointless to buy it now. You probably won't really use it (I don't; I just take it out to coo nostalgically over and remember heady 70s days and Tales of the Unexpected). The expression "you had to be there" springs to mind. It just seems pointless to be tracking one down in 2009. Trust me, Im a huge 1JJ fan, but the A.Italian, and some of the other historical reproductions (not necessary to name in this thread), win hands down for graphic/ reproduction quality and also readability...

nisaba

gregory said:
It was my first deck. And look what it led to. DON'T DO IT !!!!
Mine, from memory, was a mini-RWS. Then I went big. Then I realised I didn't actually like the artwork much. Some time after that I got addicted. Aw, crap, I just bought myself a couple of RWS variants, golden and diamond. don't do it, people - I knew full well before I even received them that I don't like the designs! And I bought? How stupid am I. Learn from me and be de-enabled. Don't ever get your first, no matter what it is.