Le Tarot Divinatoire (1909) Gérard Encausse

Le Fanu

Bumping this thread;

Are the illustrations in this book of the complete deck in full colour or are they just black and white? How is the quality of the illustrations?

I love the images for the Divinatory Tarot but it has never been published as a historical deck, right? Only the U.S Games Papus tarot....

rif

They are black and white; each card illustration has a full page to itself. I think they look good. I have the book on loan from the library. :)

Abrac

I used to have the Adamant Media paperback (ISBN 054378603X). The whole deck is illustrated in black & white, but honestly I thought the quality of the images in that edition stunk.

Dusserre has published a really nice historical deck in color. Coredil posted a picture from it back in post #4 of this thread. I'd like to find a copy myself but they don't come around very often.

Teheuti

The Dusserre edition is quite nice though, I believe, hard to find.

Mary

coredil

In order to compare here are scans of three editions from my collection of several editions of Gabriel Goulinat pictures.

On the left is the picture as seen in Papus (Gérard Encausse) Book "Le Tarot Divinatoire" (Reprint from 1981, Editions Dangles)

In the middle is the Dusserre Edition of the deck.
I dont remember when it was printed. I vaguely remembered that I once searched but cannot find it again.

On the right is the picture of the US Games edition from 1982.

The size difference between the scans is the original difference.

Best regards

PS. Oops! I now realize that I had already posted some scans to compare in this thread!
Sorry for the double uploading!
I let the scans as they are easier to compare now.

Attachments

• GoulinatFou.jpg
    GoulinatFou.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 420
  • GoulinatDameDeBatons.jpg
    GoulinatDameDeBatons.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 376
  • GoulinatAsDeDeniers.jpg
    GoulinatAsDeDeniers.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 360

Le Fanu

Thank you everybody! Does the Aeon Books edition have the black and white illustrations, or are they now coloured?

I was going to buy the book, but if the illustrations are only B&W, I don't think I'll bother. They are not unlike the Portuguese edition of the Tarot Advinhatorio which I have, though I would LOVE a Dusserre edition of the Divinatory Tarot to use (just when I thought my wishlist was empty). I assume that is the edition which is on the cover of Dekker's &co Occult Origins book...

gregory

Bookdepository has it cheaper.... :D (I LOVE THAT PLACE....!)

rif

Just to clarify, my comments were about the Aeon books edition, and yes they are black and white illustrations.

Teheuti

The Aeon translation reproduces the Major and Minor cards in different sizes. If you'd like to make your own copy of the deck to color for yourself, then I recommend photocopying (on good paper and reduced to a handy size) the cards out of the French edition, Le Tarot Divinatoire from Editions Dangles.

The examples from the Tarot Advinhatorio show how the coloring doesn't have to be extensive.

Mary

Le Fanu

Thank you! Will check it out...