Book recommendations?

alice_addams

Minor Arcana book recommendations?

I recently read a couple of books that helped tremendously in my understanding of the Major Arcana and the symbolism of Tarot. Sallie Nichols' Jung and Tarot and Robert Place's Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination provided a great jumping-off point, but now I'm looking for any books that can help me with the Minor Arcana. I have heard references to 'Sacred Geometry' in interpreting the pips. Anyone have recommendations for books on understanding Minor cards?

cardlady22

I've seen the term 'projective geometry' used to refer to the Thoth illustrations.

Most of what I've seen about the pips is more along the lines of numerology- although there are different takes on the symbolism.

Tarot Decoded by Elizabeth Hazel has a section called Numeric Dignities

Numerology and the Divine Triangle by Faith Javane and Dusty Bunker sets up each card from the Rider Waite deck to cover the numbers 1 thru 78. It orders the suits like so:
wands
cups
swords
pentacles

I'm really enjoying Melanchollic's thread under the Marseilles section
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112327

It might help to Edit your post title and include the word geometry or numerology, depending on which you are looking to find.

Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice by Robert Lawlor (don't know if it has any tarot-related info)

minrice

I will recommend Mary Greer's 21 ways to read a Tarot card. Because she doesn't just list "book meanings", rather she challenges you to find your own meanings in the cards by working with the deck and going through little exercises. Creating stories, characters, putting the cards into groups, choosing keywords. This book really helped me turn THE corner with Tarot to hone my intuition and deepen the card's meanings for me!

coyoteblack

The book that comes with the DruidCraft is great for understanding the minors.

I loved The complete tarot reader by teresa michelsen

the really hard part is finding a way to look at the minors then expanding on it. I started with number and element then worked my way to golden dawn references.

alice_addams

Looks like 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card is next on my book list! I've seen a lot of discussion about it.
Thanks cardlady, I have bookmarked Melanchollic's thread. I am open to any new ways of interpreting pips, because I haven't found a system that works for me consistently yet. Most decks I can read into the picture, but I just got Tarot of the Dead, which only shows suit symbols. Attempting to read that will be new territory for me!
Thank you all for your recommendations & advice!

metal_romantic

I like "Choice Centered Tarot" by Gail Fairfield. It's numerology based. I think it has a different title now, "Everyday Tarot" or similar, but if you look for it you could search for the author. :)

wulfshado

Books for Pips

minrice said:
I will recommend Mary Greer's 21 ways to read a Tarot card. Because she doesn't just list "book meanings", rather she challenges you to find your own meanings in the cards by working with the deck and going through little exercises. Creating stories, characters, putting the cards into groups, choosing keywords. This book really helped me turn THE corner with Tarot to hone my intuition and deepen the card's meanings for me!

Hi, I found a copy of this book over at scribd.com that you can download for free as a pdf file. There are a lot of tarot books there, though it's a bit of a hassle using the search feature. If you scroll through what comes up you do find some good ones like this.

cardlady22

wulfshado said:
Hi, I found a copy of this book over at scribd.com
I don't think this is allowed, since the book is not old enough to be public domain.

metal_romantic

cardlady22 said:
I don't think this is allowed, since the book is not old enough to be public domain.

No, it's not legal. Thanks wulfshadow, as I know you were trying to be helpful :)
Buy the book if you want it- it's not too expensive, it's the right thing to do, and it's much better to have a hard copy anyway ;)

Soothsayer

One of my favourite Tarot books is Tarot: Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis. Well worth getting.