All new de-enabling thread

gregory

Well that was easy. BOTH are USG so go buy chocolate ! (and yes, the copyright marks are right there. They GLOW !!!)

Le Fanu

Deviant Moon

Dead easy. Think slippery, slidey lip-gloss finish. Umbrae said it was like laminated toilet paper.

And, to be honest, you need a real leap of imagination to read with this deck. I just can't make that mental leap to "beings who are not quite human" in their kooky little universe.

Call me old-fashioned but when I read tarot, I do like the images I respond to in the cards to be of the same species as me. I find it helps with the empathising process. But maybe that's just me. BBCats don't count because I identify hugely with cats, but the "beings" in the Deviant Moon are just not really anything. Not human, not animal. I just can't identify with them.

And the real toes and real fingers collaged on unsettle me enormously. Every time I turn over a card, I look at the real toes and real fingers and shudder.

And the lovers card isn't sexy which - for me - is a no no... I mean I don't expect a Lovers card from the 18th century, or even 1909 to be hot and steamy, but if you're going to create a deck in 2008, take advantage of the looser mores and give us something HOT. Otherwise, what's the point?

thorhammer

lizziecat said:
I want a Deviant Moon tarot just because it's one of the absolute best gosh-darn flipping brilliant artwork of any tarot to come out in years.

And of course I want the Commemorative Pamela deck.

If either (or both) are published by US Games that would probably be enough to stop me (I refuse to purchase any US Games deck until they take the copyright notice off the front of each card and put it on the back), but if not.....
Yep, both USG, as greggers says. I've had the DM and it was a raving disappointment. I followed the creation thread and was dazzled, too, by Patrick's work. The fineness of his digital artwork was shredded by cheap, disrespectful production at USG, and the resulting product is grainy with many printing errors such as vivid blue lines through the whole image. The lamination is crazy-slick, and honestly, it's just not that readable a Tarot. It's too weird. Weird-saturation.

As for the commemorative set - I resent that USG are cashing in on the talent of a wonderful artist who has never had a chance to raise so much as a tentative protest against their profiteering. There is a review thread; while most of the reviews are clones and rave about how wonderful the postcards are (postcards??? I though we collected decks?), there is one voice of reason and moderation among them. Go read it and see.

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
There is a review thread; while most of the reviews are clones and rave about how wonderful the postcards are (postcards??? I though we collected decks?), there is one voice of reason and moderation among them. Go read it and see.

\m/ Kat
Darn it, Kat - after reading that thread now *I* want a PCS100! And I still want a Golden Rider!

I know, I'm nuts.

thorhammer

sravana said:
Darn it, Kat - after reading that thread now *I* want a PCS100! And I still want a Golden Rider!

I know, I'm nuts.
Why??? Did you not see the voice of reason pouring oil on the churned-up waters of frothy Tarot fervour? That's all it is, you know - froth. It's the inch of visible air you pay a dollar for on your cappucino. It's a sellout, a cash-in and totally unworthy of Her Pixiness.

And what would you want a Golden Rider for? It looks like a child was given 78 paint-by-numbers pictures and only half the paint colours. The gold on the backs (and the fronts too) shows fingerprints and makes the whole deck look smudged and dirty. It's dingy, old, flat, lifeless and dark. I've lived in flats like that, and they were the most depressing times of my life. Ugh.

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
Why??? Did you not see the voice of reason pouring oil on the churned-up waters of frothy Tarot fervour? That's all it is, you know - froth. It's the inch of visible air you pay a dollar for on your cappucino. It's a sellout, a cash-in and totally unworthy of Her Pixiness.

And what would you want a Golden Rider for? It looks like a child was given 78 paint-by-numbers pictures and only half the paint colours. The gold on the backs (and the fronts too) shows fingerprints and makes the whole deck look smudged and dirty. It's dingy, old, flat, lifeless and dark. I've lived in flats like that, and they were the most depressing times of my life. Ugh.

\m/ Kat
You've lived in flat flats? ;)
Yes, I did see that voice of reason - but the others were so *convincing*!
I mean, even Mary Greer likes it! :bugeyed:

re: Golden Rider :::whimper:::

sapienza

sravana said:
You've lived in flat flats? ;)
Yes, I did see that voice of reason - but the others were so *convincing*!
I mean, even Mary Greer likes it! :bugeyed:

re: Golden Rider :::whimper:::

How many RWS decks can any human being need ?????????????? :mad:

Seriously, this Golden Rider obsession just HAS to end. You DO NOT need this deck. Look at the Star:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#35.jpg

She looks like she has a bloody black eye :bugeyed: And what the hell is going on with the kids face on the sun card?

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#39.jpg

DREADFUL http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#53.jpg
BEYOND DREADFUL http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#81.jpg
WHAT'S WITH THE MULTI COLOURED SKY THING? http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#91.jpg
AND JUST TO ADD TO THE PAIN http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#157.jpg

Look, you and I, and everyone else, knows that the simple fact is that the art in the RWS deck just isn't that flash. Yes, I know, it's not poor Pixie's fault, printing issues bla bla bla, but at the end of the day the thing is pretty ugly. I respect it and it may have great symbolism bla bla bla. BUT, no amount of colouring in is going to make it any more damn interesting.

AND.....no-one who lists the following decks as favourities:

Jacques Vieville Tarot ;Dussere Dodal TdM; Jean Noblet TdM; Hadar TdM; Mystical and Bartschi Lenormand; AGM Deluxe Thoth (older, colorful version)

can possibly want the Golden Rider (it's just too embarrassing)....

You know I'm right :D

ps....Just to avoid any possible enabling I must add that all the decks sravana listed as favourites are crap. ;) But not as crap as the Golden Rider!

thorhammer

A determined and eminently sensible tirade!

Ovation, all of ye! Be upstanding!

\m/ Kat

Welf

nisaba said:
It's good to know that Greggors has done well, saving others from the Terrible Fate that has become her own. Mind you, she's been known to encourage me privately, even goading me into purchases! Never trust a de-enabler who owns many decks - they're up to something.)
Listen here... and listen good.. ' If ' being the operative word..... and please take note of that word in the way it is used in this post together with 'could' and 'would'... okay?

if if if

If I were a collector, I would more than likely collect almost unreadable tacky bizarre decks... Though it would get hard to know where to draw the line between normal and bizarre, so that gives me yet another excellent reason why I wouldn't become a collector... Besides the ones of, where do you store them, and how the dickens do you ever remember what you have and don't have, and stop from doubling and tripling and quadrupling up on decks... duh..

It would be something like that New Toy Tarot as starters... Where the High Priestess is Barbie Doll perched on a broomstick, called The Witch... The Hermit is Kermit the Frog, called The Ermit... The cups are faces of Felix the Cat (He was my favourite when I was a kid, though I can't quite figure how his face can be a cup unless it has something to do with his mouth). Naturally, the King of Cups is called King of Mugs... and the suite of Wands is Lollypops. I mean... come on... get real...

The site that has them, has downloadable versions where you can get all the images and a picture of the back of the card... Plus there is a heap of other strange Tarot decks you can download images of.... Now if, and like I said before...

if if if

If I was inclined to collect... (my youngest sister has long turned me off being a collector of anything after her disaster when she decided to collect anything of Frogs and as a result, she now collects nothing..).. I could if I wanted to, and I have the know how, an art program and a printer good enough to do this... Create my own deck of the cards and print them up on top quality paper... I also have some no longer copyright (here in Australia at least), images for example, all of the the Visconti cards where I could do the same....

But I wouldn't do that, it's a lot of work and no point to it because I am already de-enable, crippled, thus I don't collect usable 3 dimensional Tarot Decks in any shape or form... In this matter, I have been shown, good and proper, how to stop myself before I start... Okay? lol...

Welf

nisaba

<pricks ears>

A collection of frogs? A related disaster? Tell us more ...

Who knows, perhaps it will de-enable me on the Kermit Deck.