Victorian Flower Oracle, any interest in a study group?

.traveller.

Get the book if you can, you don't need it to read the cards but it is a good introduction to the language of flowers.

Onyx

I had ordered the deck only and was regretting it when I posted my question. I had a minor issue with my order so I took it as a sign. I was able to cancell the order and got the full kit.

It won't ship for a couple of days but I am getting very excited about it.

Thanks for the encouragement to get the book.

Onyx.

Jewel

Onyx, glad you could get the book. I am learning that the cards can really be read intuitively, and that one does not need to know anything about flowers to read with the deck either, but the book is very nice and I have found it to be a very useful resource, if nothing else to confirm to me that I am on the right track. I really like this deck a lot. I need to get back to posting the work I have done for this study group. I am about 1/2 way through the deck and really enjoying it.

.traveller.

I think I missed adding some threads to the directory. If you see one or three that I've missed, let me know and I'll add it in.

I feel bereft. My climbing rose died. :(

Onyx

I got the Deck and book about a week ago. It took forever. I got it along with the Fantastic Menagire deck. I have not had a lot of time to work with the Flower Oracle much but I am planning on giving it a good bit of work this weekend. I need a break from "Tarot" and this deck just looks so promising.

Any hints or advice on how I should start a study of this deck that is different from Tarot?

I want to practice reading with it but I get the feeling that it will perform differently than that I am used to seeing.

Are there any questions that it answers better?

All in all, how is this different and what should I do to get the feel for it.

*** I haven't read a lot of the threads yet. I am going to read the introduction in the book to the Langauge of Flower and play with the deck before I start reading meanings other than what is on the card.

Onyx.

.traveller.

Onyx, these are cards that reward repeated use. The more you use them, the more they open up. Personally, they've seemed to work well for me no matter what question I have thrown at them. I've also used them successfully in conjunction with the Fantastic Menagerie. If you want to see them in action, they were used quite a bit in the Oracle games threads (One Card and Three Card). It will be a bit of a slog to find them, and if memory serves right, the questions were mostly about love/relationships. Us girls enjoy our relationship readings :p :D

Just use them, that's how you learn them. If you get stuck with an interpretation I would be glad to give assistance. Just ask. :)

...and I've been wondering if there would be any interest in getting an informal reading circle going? I was thinking something simple, one to three cards, or one card from the VFO and one from a tarot or another oracle, just to see different ways of working with the cards.

Onyx

.traveller. said:
...and I've been wondering if there would be any interest in getting an informal reading circle going? I was thinking something simple, one to three cards, or one card from the VFO and one from a tarot or another oracle, just to see different ways of working with the cards.

I may be up for it if there are a couple of people who are interested. No better discovery than use.

Onyx.

Jewel

Onyx said:
Any hints or advice on how I should start a study of this deck that is different from Tarot?

I want to practice reading with it but I get the feeling that it will perform differently than that I am used to seeing.

Are there any questions that it answers better?

All in all, how is this different and what should I do to get the feel for it.
From the perspective of someone who really likes this deck and knows nothing about flowers I am happy to share my approach with you. I would also like to add that I used to me much more of a "tarot person" than an "oracle person" so it might be helpful to you.

Knowing that I would never master all the flowers, I chose to really focus on the overall imagery of the card. If you read any of the posts I have made on some of the threads you will see my approach. First I describe the image on the card literally, then I look at what emotions the card elicits in me, the overall atmosphere of the card, what I get from the image alone. THEN I go read the book description.

What I have learned after having done this with half the deck is that I do not need to know the flowers (though that would add another dimension). The imagery on the card itself really does tell the tale. Read intuitively with it. Having learned this I think this deck would work pretty well for any kind of reading you would like to use with it. Traveller has used the deck a lot more than I have, but I can say that I have been very pleased with the readings I have done with it.

I also have and love the Fantastic Menagerie, that was a deck that actually surpased my expectations. Excellent for getting non-emotional answers to questions, very matter of fact, to the point, and sarcastic at times. I really like the tone the readings take when using this deck. Excellent for career readings and for making decisions by the way.

DaisyDragonfly

Hi, guys!

I just bought this deck and, having just used it in a second reading for myself, had to dash over!

I'm not sure I can commit to a study group (I'm currently IDSing with the Victorian Romantic *points down at sig*) but I am loving this Oracle. I have to say, I've been able to 'read' it since the moment I opened the box: I just turn over the card and describe the picture. From the process of describing the picture comes the card's message (or so it seems). The flower and the keywords are only another element which may or may not be useful for clarification. (Bear in mind, this observation is based on two usages. It might change as I use the cards more!)

But I find this easier to read than tarot; I've found the message to be completely direct and to-the-point, too. I'd love to drop in and out of the Study Group, if that's all right?

And I'd also be interested in a reading circle if one appears!