Does any one recognize this Rider Waite clone?

Intyale

Hey everybody.

I came across this deck on eBay, and even though it only has a picture of the Queen of Pents, I fell in love with a colouring and just HAD to have it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=310150903703

I took a look around, and couldn't find anything like it. I found it a bit strange that on the box itself the border is a bit likened to Ciro's Gilded Tarot. Did I find something unique? Or is a rip off of another, redrawn RWS that I am unawares of.

If the ebay listing isn't enough, I can post pictures once I get it in the mail.

rwcarter

Intyale said:
Or is a rip off of another, redrawn RWS that I am unawares of.
Precisely. I have it too (also bought off eBay). The box is flimsy. The cardstock is pretty thin. But the images are lovely. They look like they were redrawn on the computer, but they seem to have a depth and a glow to them.

Rodney

Intyale

A bit disappointed to hear about the cardstock, however, it's good to hear of the art quality. I never quite liked the colours for the RWS, a felt they were too garish. Judging by the QoPs, they have a painted feel about them.

Freddie

I have seen these on eBay and thought the colouring was very good as well.

Well Done!!! You never know you might like the cardstock as this is subjective to taste. Some of my cheaper decks are ones that I really like so you never know until you try...

I like the backs as well.

Freddie

midniteeye

keywords from the product description. no publisher and printed in china.

Welf

midniteeye said:
keywords from the product description. no publisher and printed in china.
I noticed that. There's another similar one floating about the place here in Australia... For $10 Australian (abt $8 American)... The Box has no pictures on it and all just says is, Economy Pack of Tarot Cards and something about having 78 cards in it. Can't quite read it all properly. It's also has Rider Waite pictures and looks similar in colouring to the Radiant Waite (or Universal?).

But a little different to the one posted here in that there is a picture of the cards fanned out and it has the orginal type fonts printed on the cards and not the computer fonts. But it doesn't show what the back looks like.... I suspect it's also yet another China, no publisher import too.

I'm thinking of buying a deck out of interest... All up it would cost me about $15 (Am $12) including the postage. I suspect in the next year or so if Tarot becomes more popular in Asia that more such decks will come out from China and who knows what decks they would be printing... ?

Welf

Cerulean

This one reminds me in coloring of the Energy Tarot/Cheryl Shen

link below for pictures only (I've never bought from the sellers)

http://miracletarot.com/buy.php?Title=Energy Tarot

Just as a comparison to the 'glowing' colors mentioned--I remember liking the Energy Tarot kit for it's pretty digital illustrations, decorative English titles, and the inclusion of full-page illustrations of the majors in a color book. No English translation in the book, but the pretty, 'glowing' illustrations and the really nice cards with English titles made it nice for my manga/anime tastes.

For fans of Taiwanese/manga styles, the second version of the Mage by White Wolf publishing in English or perhaps the Energy Tarot might work better...but my thanks here to those for letting us know about this pretty Waite-Smith style deck! It looks like a nice summer bargain, shipping and deck included--as equal to something you buy at a chain bookstore.

Best,

Cerulean

Pagan X

Radiant Tarot?

I don't have either deck, but it appears similar to the scans of the Radiant Tarot online.

Intyale

Pagan X said:
I don't have either deck, but it appears similar to the scans of the Radiant Tarot online.

Similar, but not the same. I searched for a scan of the Queen of Pents from the radiant before I bid, and the Radiant has a lot of garish yellow like the original. This deck, however, has a softer colouring.

Does anyone have any particular requests for card scan once I get the deck?

rwcarter

I already have the deck and would be happy to post scans of a few cards that people want to see. I can even pair them with the same card from a different RW/RW clone deck.

Rodney