The 24 Rune Cast

Umbrae

Do not attempt this with kittens present.

Lay out a cloth, or a tanned (or cured) hide (preferably with fur still on). In a pinch, a nice carpet will do, but you may lose stones in the carpet.

Remove the 24 rune stones from their pouch, while facing north (if reading for yourself, south if reading for others). Concentrate. Utter a prayer to the deities. Drop the Runes onto your cloth/hide. From a distance of about a foot.

You will only read the upright stones.

Look for long lines that tell stories. Look for small perpendicular lines that intersect longer lines foretelling of blockages or hazards.

Small lines, which lead into large lines at angles, are usually beneficial; they are small factors that provide strength to the main progression.

Look for clusters. Pay attention to how the members of the Aetts are interacting with each other (some runes work well together, some do not – Berkano and Isa are not a good combination (understatement). Are the runes touching? How far apart are they?

Time moves from east to west; so, reading for yourself will look one way, and reading for others will be opposite. Do not read backwards!

We are used to left-brain thinking. What does it mean? What does it mean here? In Rachel Pollack’s Seventy-Eight degrees of Wisdom, page276, she states. “The true psychic readers, who are rarer than many people think, can simply take a few cards from anywhere in the deck, lay them out in no particular pattern, and use them as trigger for going into a trance or simply for releasing the information from unconscious sources.”

With runes, you just want to let go. If you think you cannot do it, you are correct. Give yourself a chance and read. Read for others. Read for folks you do not know.

This method takes practice. The first few times it may make no sense. Just relax your brain, and listen to that which speaks without a voice.

zorya

i tried this last night. it went really well, so i will be using this cast often.

should i have left the upside down runes to 'connect the dots'? i removed them and got a much clearer picture. it appeared as three lines all pointing to the same rune. wunjo! yippee!!! i noticed that the runes closest to me, seemed to have the most relevance to my life at this time.

the biggest question i have, is how to read the three sided runes? i had three turn up in this cast. the rune side was up, but on the face of the stones, furthest from me. i was unable to see them from where i was sitting. i took note of them, but didn't give them as much value.

the only runes, right next to each other, were sowilo and dagaz. needless to say, that relationship was clear to me. perhaps we could have some threads about the various relationships and bindrunes?

Umbrae

zorya said:
should i have left the upside down runes to 'connect the dots'? i removed them and got a much clearer picture. it appeared as three lines all pointing to the same rune. wunjo! yippee!!! i noticed that the runes closest to me, seemed to have the most relevance to my life at this time.
Do what feels right at the time. You will find that that changes.

the biggest question i have, is how to read the three sided runes? i had three turn up in this cast. the rune side was up, but on the face of the stones, furthest from me. i was unable to see them from where i was sitting. i took note of them, but didn't give them as much value.
Ask again after about 5 castings.
Each cast will be very different from others. Stones that 'don't' land face up will land face up, stones will clump then they won't...

The more you do, and the more experience you have, the more the questions will answer themselves.

DesertHowler

Umbrae said:
Do not attempt this with kittens present.

You will only read the upright stones.

Look for long lines that tell stories. Look for small perpendicular lines that intersect longer lines foretelling of blockages or hazards.

Small lines, which lead into large lines at angles, are usually beneficial; they are small factors that provide strength to the main progression.

Look for clusters. Pay attention to how the members of the Aetts are interacting with each other (some runes work well together, some do not – Berkano and Isa are not a good combination (understatement). Are the runes touching? How far apart are they?

This method takes practice. The first few times it may make no sense. Just relax your brain, and listen to that which speaks without a voice.
Thanks Umbrae,

This is great! I wondered how to read the runes I made from the fallen limb of a friendly maple tree.

I'm uncomfortable with the standard spreads in books. This seems more like the runes should be read. This is so free-style and intuitive and wild. That's how the Runes feel to me. I'll surely try this.

Again, Great.

DH

Chu'si

Umbrae said:
Lay out a cloth, or a tanned (or cured) hide (preferably with fur still on). In a pinch, a nice carpet will do, but you may lose stones in the carpet.

What purpose does the fur have anyway? I've read books encouraging the use of fur and skins for divination, especially rune castings, but how does fur make casts any more "accurate" than using cloth or mats of plant material?

MiriamArcadiaDove

Fur/hide use

I use a soft cloth for casting my stones and it seems to help things from bouncing about too much and cushioning my stones... Is this what it is for?

Milfoil

This is just my personal musings, I have no proof to offer but . . .

Imagine living in a world without technology or understanding of the mechanics of nature in the way that we have now. Each and every thing in existance has a spirit from mountains, rocks, rivers, water, trees, plants, animals, birds, the winds, Sun, Moon, Stars, directions, Earth - everything. Each sound you make or hear, each thought you have is creative and interactive with all other beings. What you see around you all have meaning and a place withing the order and balance of creation.

A seer, Volva and rune caster would each have a deep connection with their own helping spirits and the fur of a particular spirit helper would form a major part of the connection to that spirit whilst divining with the runes.

This is my own understanding of the reason for the traditional use of an animal skin to runecast on. As I say, I can offer no proof, just throwing in an option for consideration.