View Single Post
Citizen

Huck 

I've read meanwhile, that a red cross on white, when it reaches till the border, is called the St. Georgs-cross (Wikipedia). Sforza, so I've been told, was very fond of St. Georg, as were other militarists out of understanable reasons but the cross is not red on white, but white on red.
Then I've read, that red-white crosses in both variants were used by mercenaries in Czechia, one version was prefered, but when at two sides mercenaries were fighting, the alternative was used.

Sforza was a mercenary, but not in Czechia. The cross at the Baldachin in white on red and reaches till the border.

This mercenary-variant is a logical solution for a practical problem - the mercenaries hadn't money to pay each time a new design, when they changed the commissioner. This was probably not only practical in Czechia. My information is from the observator of a conflict in Polonia. Perhaps it was so, that in Polonia the custom was unknown, so it is ascribed to the Czechian who used it in Polonia, but in reality it was possibly general use in southern countries.
Top   #18