Looking for I Ching cards

Pagan X

I have many editions/translations of the I Ching(s) as a book. They drive me nutty because, as the translators themselves are wont to emphasize, written Chinese is more visual than is English. That is, the actual characters of the I Ching text evoke divinatory meaning much as does our Tarot images.

This quality is lost in translation. You'd think that they'd include illustrations, but then, the books would be as big as telephone directories, were it character by character.

To me, this all seems to beg for as many pictoral I Ching decks as there are Tarot decks. I think there are three currently in print in the US., and two of them are called "Tarots"!

Two questions: are there others? And why is this the situation? Surely the "Sixty-Four Major Arcana of Change" would provide artists with wonderful opportunities?

Logiatrix

These are the decks I am aware of...

>Visual I-Ching
>I-Ching Tarot
>I-Ching Cards (Holitzka)
>I-Ching Cards (US Games)
>Tao Oracle

The Tao Oracle is my favorite.
It is illustrated by the same artist who is responsible for the beautiful artwork of the Osho Zen Tarot.
The cards are big and vibrantly colored with a nice matte finish.
Each card has a clear representation of the hexagram with several keywords and phrases under the picture.
The I-Ching Cards by US Games are not actually illustrated; they are basically the Legge translation of the 64 hexagrams in card form.
I found this deck to work especially well with Brian Browne Walker's translation.
I'll come back if I recall others...
:D

Logiatrix

But wait, there's MORE!!!

...well, a couple more... ;)
I forgot to mention Richard Craze's I-Ching Book and Card set.
Like the US Games deck, it's not illustrated, per say, but it is very nicely set up with the image and brief meanings on each card.
The cards are slightly oversized.
Another one is the I-Ching Pack (Clark and Gill) with very nice illustrations on the 64 untitled (in English) cards.
Each card has only the full picture and the hexagram--no words; the softcover book is quite substantial, however.
A warning... :eek:
Barbara Walker has an I-Ching deck out, as well.
I liked the illustrations better than her tarot deck, but it is still heavily feminist, and well...scary--as is her general approach, IMHO. :rolleyes:
She also uses a different I-Ching system than most of the texts I have studied.
I have a feeling she had to find another translation for her ultra-feminist agenda to be maintained--but that's just a suspicion, not to prejudice my tarot-kindred here...just beware. })
Okay, that's all!
:cool:

Pagan X

We may want to wander off on another tangent re:Barbara Walker...

Ultra-feminism is ok with me. Intellectual dishonesty is not, and that's my bone with her. In the history of the I Ching, breaking the hexagrams into trigrams and analysing the image in terms of the trigrams is a *later* development, not an early one.

Her version of the Changes, like the Visual I Ching, emphasizes the trigram composition aspect. It doesn't work for me.

I also get annoyed by the "it's binary mathematics! just like computers! how modern and space age" blah blah that some authors get into. Spare me.

I've ordered a used copy of Clark and Gill's "I-Ching Pack".

Pagan X

Criminy jeepers, who do these people pay to design their boxes?

I've walked past the Tao Oracle on shelves, I know it. Doesn't say I Ching on it anywhere.

Hmm, hmmm, hmmm...not going to fly for me. I lived in Portland during the height of Rajneeshi Invasion.

Interview with Tao Oracle's creator

"Did Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh participate in the creation of this deck?

It is impossible to separate him from the creation of that deck. I lived for so many years in his community, my rooms were in his house. His presence throughout that creative time permeated the making of the deck.

Did he give it his seal of approval?

Yes. He was still alive when a marvelous tarot reader and German disciple, Ma Jivan Upasika, asked Osho about creating a tarot deck. He said she should do it and then she came to me. So I sent some drawings in for Osho to consider and his response was that I was to create the cards. Little did I know that within a year or so Upasika would leave the commune and I would eventually carry the bulk of that project (for 5 years in total). So the creation of what we now have as the Osho Zen Tarot, all the paintings, including the design of the cards, the commentaries for the book and finally selecting the quotes from Osho's Zen discourses was an ongoing work that I kept steadily at while other projects and community functions were also tended to. My studio was in the house where the master lived for many years. His presence never left, even after his body died. SO often I felt him smiling as though in the room with me as I painted late into many a night.

While he was alive he always supported my creative expression and creating the Osho Zen Deck was a personally transforming and profound work between master and devoted disciple. For years I had literally prayed in the early years of my disciplehood that my creative abilities would one day support his teachings. It wasn't too far into the project that I was certain this work would be just that. It was clear to me way before anyone really saw what I was doing that it would be used, loved and respected by hundreds of thousands of people the world over. That has all come to pass. And if I'm not mistaken it is the most popular Osho title at present and is in 14 or 15 foreign translations.

What were his views on tarot, if any?

As I recall he was never big on esoteric secrecy or practices, his way was to open the mysteries so that humanity could grow into a new species with greater presence, responsibility and intelligence, what he referred to as The New Man. Aquarian vision to the max!

Were/are you a disciple of Osho and did you ever live at his community in Oregon?

I lived there from its start until its collapse.

What made you decide to add the Master card as an additional Major Arcana card?

It was not my decision. I can't say whether it was Ma Jivan Upasika's idea or whether in those early days Osho had requested she include him in the deck. I never questioned it as it made total sense to me that a card for The Master should be there."

Logiatrix

Well...

Indeed, I could not get past the so-called "Master" card of the Osho deck, so I never used it, and haven't owned the set for several years now.
I admit that I chose to tread carefully when considering the Tao Oracle, just because of that infamous connection.
I decided to go ahead and buy the set; the cards are so beautiful, I just had to give it a chance!
I scoured the book and cards of the Tao Oracle as soon as I purchased it, prepared to return it if I found anything objectionable.
I found no direct signs of Osho in the deck, most importantly.
The book still sounds somewhat 'Osho-esque' in places, but I knew I wouldn't wind up using it anyway, as I already have several other I-Ching translations that I have favored for years, regardless of how I cast my hexagram.
So I decided it is a keeper, 'cuz I love the cards, and it's working very well with my Thomas Cleary translation of Cheng Yi's interpretation of the Oracle.
:cool:

EDITED to add...what I originally came here to post!
I wanted to give fair mention to another deck, The I-Ching of Love.
It's a fully illustrated deck with keywords directed to affairs of the heart, but I found it quite usable for more general concerns as well.
:)

Pagan X

Tauni, rest assured I will not think ill of you if you enjoy a deck with Osho cooties!

I'm just being a poop today.

This one looks interesting:

"I Ging Orakel
Designer(s), Artist(s): Alois Hanslian
Country of Publication: Germany
Number of Cards: 64
Publication Status: Out-of-Print
Reference: Manteia issue #11, p. 10

Description: Cartomantic cards with cards designed to correspond to one of the 64 hexagrams of the I-Ching. 64 cards and softcover book in lidded cardboard box. "

Sample images here

Logiatrix

*GASP*
Those are stunning!
Seeing "OOP" kind of yanked at my tarot-heart-strings...ahh, those days of yore, when I would not rest until I found that elusive OOP at the top of my very long list of "Decks To Find" (more like "Decks To Hunt Down And Capture LIke The Prey That They Are")...
*sigh*
But NO--I shall be strong!
Tauni smooths down her hair and dabs the perspiration from her delicate brow (yea, right)...standing up straight and tall (yea, right), she says in a firm voice...
Thank you, Pagan X, those cards certainly are beautiful.
I enjoyed looking at them, with no intention of ever having them for my collection...*squeak*
AGHHHHH!!!
Tauni runs screaming from the room...
:D