Books in French on the Marseille

jmd

Believe it or not, I have few books in French which specifically deal with the Marseille, and sometimes take note when Rusty Neon, Diana, ihcoyc and others mention a book which seems like something I would wish to obtain...

Some, of course, make their way into translation, such as various books by Levi, by Wirth, by Papus, by Maxwell, and by the UA and his Méditations sur les arcanes du Tarot.

Others seem good solid books which have just not, as yet, seen the light in English, such as Paul Marteau's Tarot de Marseille.

For those of you who have books in French - and especially if they seem to unveil some aspect of the Marseille, would you please post??? I would really appreciate the resources.

Kaz

i have:

oswald wirth - the english translation of "le tarot des imagiers du moyen-age"
paul marteau - tarot de marseille
alain brêthes - l'interprétation des arcanes mineurs des nombres et des 4 éléments
alain brêthes - l'Inteprétation des arcanes majeurs

all of them i got from ebay vendors, its a pity that a lot of french ebay sellers wont ship outside france and/or dont accept paypal, coz sometimes you can find interesting books there.

i suppose the wirth and marteau book dont need any comment.
the other two books i have to get back to you because i havent read them yet. i will give you an overview what they are about and whats in them.

Diana

1) Tarot et Arbres Alchimiques (Toni Ceron)
http://www.coldufeu.com/tarottoc.html
I don't understand a 20th of it. You will probably understand a bit more. Toni Ceron is..... (there are no words to describe this man. How can one human being know so much?) It is very expensive. Buy it.

2) It's not Marseille based, but Wirth based, but I think the following is a must: Le Tarot initiatique symbolique et ésotérique (Edmond Delcamp).

3) Ombres et Lumières du Tarot (Carole Sédillot)

4) Tarot l'Enchanteur - une nouvelle vision du Tarot de Marseille (Georges Colleuil) (he's the French tarotists' darling. :D ).

5) This one came out in September this year. Au Fil d'Arcane - Arcanes Mineurs Arcanes Majeurs, du Tarot Initiatique à la Pratique du Tarot (Klea). I have probably quoted this guy already in my threads. (Don't always quote my sources - bad, bad, bad Diana - no biscuit!!!)
http://www.alapage.com/mx/?tp=F&type=1&l_isbn=2716311978&donnee_appel=GOOGL

I have a couple more up in my office. I'll get back to you.

Rusty Neon

jmd ... I'll be posting my list shortly.

Diana ... I haven't seen the Klea book at the stores yet, as I haven't been in Montreal too much lately. (I just checked and it's on amazon.ca.) Does this book cover the minor arcana in any great detail? Does Klea list and discuss in detail the pictorial details of the pips? For me, so far, the gold standard in TdM books written after Marteau's book is Sédillot's _Ombres_ book.

Rusty Neon

I've got ... (but not all of which I'd recommend)

(1) Anonymous: _Meditations on the Tarot_ (in English translation)

(2) Elie Alta (a play on Alliette/Etteilla's name): _Le Tarot Égyptien_ (TdM and Etteilla decks)

(3) Paul Marteau: _Le Tarot de Marseille_

(4) Papus: _The Tarot of the Bohemians_ (in English translation)

(5) Oswald Wirth: _Le Tarot des imagiers du Moyen Âge_

Post-Marteau:

Note that some of these books have no or insufficient coverage of the minor arcana.

(6) Alain Bocher: _Les Cahiers du Tarot: Tome I -- Le Cahier des Images_ (Covers major and minor arcana of the Heron deck. Very unique and eclectic approach. Not always too useful for divinatory aspects of tarot, but alway fun to browse. Deals with Initiatory Tarot. This book is very off-beat, so I'm reluctant to give a "recommendation" for this book to anyone. But do check it out, if you see it at the store.). I also purchased Tome II. Tomes II to IV are not the classic that Tome I is.)

(7) Alain Brêthes: _L'interprétation des Arcanes Mineurs: des Nombres et des Quatre Eléments_ (Covers the minor arcana of the Grimaud and Masonic decks, but generally only on the basis of the four elements and (his brand of) numerology, much of that numerology based on the shape of the Arabic number; little coverage of pictorial details, even for the court cards. )

(8) Jean de Bréville: _Les symboles dévoilés du tarot bohémien_ (Covers major and minor arcana of the Grimaud deck, but curiously it's illustrated with the Burdel deck. Pictorial details of the minor arcana not addressed.)

(9) Marie-Thérèse des Longchamps: _Les 78 lames du Tarot de Marseille_ (Detail-by-detail coverage of the pictorial details of the major and minor arcana of the Grimaud deck). My third favourite post-Marteau book on the TdM. Because of its excruciating detail, I venture inside this book only when I have tons of energy.)

(10) Claude Darche: _Pratique du Tarot de Marseille: Spiritualité et divination_ (Covers various details of the Grimaud deck's major arcana. Coverage of the minor arcana is limited to divinatory meanings, which sometimes owe a lot to Golden Dawn (GD)tradition, strange as that may seem. For example, he says that the 10 of Coins "is called the Lord of Riches" -- clear GD inspiration.)

(11) Jacqueline Macou: _Le Tarot psychologique à travers les 22 arcanes/miroirs: Clés et ressources de votre paysage intérieur_ (Not as profound as its title may lead you to believe. Covers the Grimaud major arcana.)

(12) Corinne Morel: _Le Guide du Tarot: Tome I - Les Arcanes mineurs_ (Covers the minor arcana of the Grimaud deck.)

(13) Marcel Picard: _Tarots: Pratiques et interprétations_ (Covers various details of the major arcana of the Grimaud deck. No coverage at all of the minor arcana.)

(14) Carole Sédillot: _Ombres et lumières du tarot_ (Covers various details of the major and minor arcana of the Grimaud deck. A decent all-round post-Marteau book on the TdM.)

(15) Carole Sédillot: Collection B.A. - BA _Tarot_ (Éditions Pardès). (This book is basically an abridged version of _Ombres_ but in parts, there are some differences in content as well. Covers both the major and minor arcana of the Grimaud.)

(16) Sylvie Simon: _Connaître et Pratiquer: Les Tarots_ (Covers various details of the major arcana of the Grimaud deck. Divinatory meanings only, in the case of the minor arcana.)

(17) Guillaume Ugérin: _Nouvelle interprétation du Tarot de Marseille: Voyage en arcanes mineurs_ (Covers details of the court cards of the Heron deck. Doesn't cover the other minor arcana.)

(18) A. E. Thierens: _La Pratique du tarot: Une approche moderne d'une tradition millénaire_ (Papus deck) (translation from Dutch)

(19) A. Jodorowsky: _La Voie du Tarot_.

(20) Colette Silvestre-Haeberle: _ABC de la symbolique du tarot_. Major arcana only. Deals with the Oswald Wirth deck, but the discussion in the book can be useful for the Marseille deck as well.

Diana

Rusty Neon said:
I haven't seen the Klea book at the stores yet (.........) Does this book cover the minor arcana in any great detail? Does Klea list and discuss in detail the pictorial details of the pips?

Rusty Neon: Klea does something rather odd in his book (although he explains why in his preface). He starts with the Minors, and ends with the Majors.

His whole book is strange.... I have never read a book quite like it. It is wonderful though (although sometimes it has had me scratching my head or grimacing a wee bit).

The way he describes the Minors at first made me wonder if I hadn't wasted my money. He describes them in detail. Example, le Valet De Baton, Arcane 26 (he gives numbers to all the Arcana):

"Sa coiffe renfleé vers le bas et coupée par le bord supérieur de la carte, est composée d'une toque au rouge striée, bordée de deux rubans jaune et blanc, qui évoque une transmutation mentale.

Ses cheveux bien coiffés en boucles spiralées d'inégales longueurs, sont de couleur chair et peignés en frange au-dessus de son front. Aucun autre Valet n'a de coiffure semblable.

(...............)

Ses grands yeux sont de la même couleur chair, comme si son visage étiat moulé dans de la cire; ils sont ourlés de paupières épaisses et un de ses sourcils est relevé. Il ne regarde pas son Bâton, mais, au-delà de lui, ceux de la Reyne, du Roy et du Cavalier. Orienté vers l'est et la lumière solaire, il transmet son Feu à la Terre".

And this goes on for a couple of pages for each Minor Arcana.

At first I found this really odd. But when I took out my Grimaud cards (he uses the Grimaud obviously - he's French :D ), and started studying them at the same time as I read his descriptions, suddenly whole new worlds seemed to open up for me. It was very strange, very wonderful and quite unbalancing.

When he gets to the Majors, he goes into more detail as to symbolism. Example, one paragraph from Temperance: (Temperance takes up about 13 pages of interpretation, plus about 6 or 7 pages of Divinatory meanings divided into sections such as Symbolic, Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, Family, Creativity, Social, Concrete, Therapeutic (psychic and physic).)

"C'est ce que raconte le fluide qui transmute la vie terrestre en vie spirituelle en donnant la réponse à l'angoissante question de l'être périssable: "Au-delà de la Mort, que se passe-t-il?" Et l'Ange prépare le nectar et l'ambroiserie qui nourrissent l'âme, offre son aide et sa protection pour la délicate transition, pose l'échelle qui donne accès au monde invisible et montre comment la gravir. Tempérance est cette Lumière qui brillait à l'autre bout de la dure épreuve de l'Arcane XIII, puissante sans être aveuglante et chaude de tout son amour. (.................)"

(This is to give you an idea of his prose.)

It is not what I would call an indispensable book. But I would call it a book that it is a pity not to have.

Kaz

the klea book seems a very interesting one to read, this is one i definately will add to my collection, thanks for referring it diana !

here is a review of it.

Diana

Nice review kaz. Silly that they put a card from the Rider Waite deck, though. :(

Rusty Neon

Klea book and some comparisons with other books

Hi Diana ... Thanks for the background on the Klea book.

Klea's decribe-every-detail approach to the minor arcana reminds me of the approach taken by Des Longchamps (see my book list above). In the card-by-card descriptions, Des Longchamps gives a good taxonomy of what pictorial features are unique to a given pip card and aren't present in other pip cards of the same suit. And she points out analogies with other cards in the major and minor arcana, that I would never have noticed in years. I find that when tarot authors do this it helps me to find things I wouldn't otherwise see or notice, unless I spent years looking at and comparing the cards. And like Diana said, it makes me look carefully at the cards, to make my own observations.

However, Klea does seem a bit more mystical/occult than the more bland Des Longchamps, while remaining practical too. I sense Klea being even more mystical when he goes onto the major arcana. By the way, being mystical isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Oftentimes, however, I feel that Des Longchamps includes so many details about the pictorial features of the pip cards and observations on those features that it makes me wonder. IMHO, not every pictorial detail necessarily has divinatory significance. The forest is lost in the trees.

It's interesting about the title of Klea's book. The title suggests that he will look at the initiatory aspects of the TdM while not neglecting the divinatory applications. In contrast, tarot author Alain Bocher tends to emphasize the initiatory and mystical aspects at the expense of the divinatory.

The Klea book is going onto my wishlist, and maybe I'll buy it over amazon.ca sight unseen. However, I really should begin to more frequently consult the TdM books that I already have. :)

P.S.: I've updated my first post on this thread (See Above) to add one book and to give some background on the various books which I own.

Rusty Neon

I just ordered the book by Kléa from amazon.ca. I'm looking forward to checking out it!