Flotsam and Jetsam Divination Kits! Help create one for you and one for me!

faunabay

People seem to be concerned about shipping but if the items are going to be small won't shipping be a couple bucks at the most - possibly less. And if we sent to 5 people that would only be $10 (or so).

The things I'm finding are small enough that they might even fit in a regular envelope. So that would be even less than $2 per person.

And I know Satori, you asked that if anyone had any preference to state it up front. So here's mine....I love, love, love tumbled stones. But because I love them so much I have tons and tons already. :D So I truely don't need anymore!

Man....I can NOT believe I'm telling people NOT to send me stones! eek! :p

Mellaenn

Whether the groups or large or small; I'm going to stock up on the smallest of those wee little bags with the bubble-wrap built right in.

But maybe what we can do - and you might already be planning this and I missed the post - is send 2 or 3 items to, say no more than 5 people to cut down on how many packages we send out. Even if we are in a group of 15 people, I would be sending only to 5 of them, selected at random.

Am I making it more confusing? I think maybe yes...:)

Chronata

Ok...five is a great and very doable number!
That works out great for me!

I am going to put each thing in a tiny little plastic bag, and label what it is, and where it came from.

(at least, for the stuff I know!)

franniee

Satori said:
Right now we are one shy of 20 people. I can randomize 4 groups of 5 people each. As new people sign up they will form the remaining groups, each a total of five. I can try to keep the European folks together, or find those of us who don't mind sending to Europe to add to the European group or put other Europeans in with Americans! If we have more than one European group I can make it so that they don't have to send to the USA with a smaller group if necessary.

I think with 5 per group it can work.

You know.... you can do 5 people and we send them a few things each.... so they can get a set of 25-30 things or so....

Mellaenn

Oh! And I forget to ask about size. What is too big, really? I kind of pictured the size of little stones or tiny toy charms - but then I found a really cool thing that is about the size of a large walnut and a it's a little larger than what I pictured...

Satori

Mellaenn said:
Whether the groups or large or small; I'm going to stock up on the smallest of those wee little bags with the bubble-wrap built right in.

But maybe what we can do - and you might already be planning this and I missed the post - is send 2 or 3 items to, say no more than 5 people to cut down on how many packages we send out. Even if we are in a group of 15 people, I would be sending only to 5 of them, selected at random.

Am I making it more confusing? I think maybe yes...:)

Great minds think alike! YES you missed the post but that is A-o.k. Yeah, five per group. I need to go put this in the top of the thread, but great ideas all around.

Fewer people in the groups, but a bit heavier on the item count. Awesome.

kaleanna

Mellaenn said:

That is a great idea Mellaen :)

kaleanna

Mellaenn said:
Oh! And I forget to ask about size. What is too big, really? I kind of pictured the size of little stones or tiny toy charms - but then I found a really cool thing that is about the size of a large walnut and a it's a little larger than what I pictured...

I too would like to know approximate size to keep items too.

kaleanna

Satori

I have one item that I plan to send out that is longish and collapsible-in a way. I have several very cool, very unusual buttons. I have seashells, one is rather long.

Now, in my mind a button is almost too small to count as one, so I'll count my buttons as .25 and may send 4. But these aren't just buttons, each has a symbol or something on it that makes it unique. So I may put 4 buttons in a little zipper bag and say that is one item.

One of my items is a small wooden Christmas ornament that lost the string and the hook...so you see? Most of my items are small enough to fit in my hand, and some are a bit bigger...

Do you want folks to send you only teeny tiny things?
Once you are split into a group you can request that.
You can request that you be sent no plastic.
You may request that you only be given items that are reflective.
You may ask for things that are round. Maybe you are creating a Moon Junk Oracle? So you need round or crescent shaped stuff...

You can determine that the items you send out have to be uber-mini.
You can say all my items are going to be shells.
All my items have to be metal.

You can request from all of us that we follow a theme for you...but this may be challenging. So maybe you request all your items have a blue color to them. And your kit will be called The Blue Junk Oracle.

Maybe you want to be able to hold all your items in your cupped hands. So you need small stuff.

See?

Satori

More on Themed Oracles

I've thought that it might be cool to have a little Lenormand junk kit. So think about what is in a Lenormand deck.

Snake
Book
Bouquet
Bear

The idea here would be to collect representations of these items and create your own physical Lenormand set. You'd need a man and a woman, a bird, a dog and something to stand for a cloud. Maybe a grey crystal or stone?

Now, thinking in terms of symbols, even if you don't ever get all the items for a 36 component junk oracle that is Lenormand themed, you can still have some of them in your kit and use the Lenormand meanings. Same for a tarot kit. Find an object that can be an Empress etc.

When collecting objects the idea is to find things that your mark can use as a symbol for something. Now, they may not use the symbol you were thinking of, but if you can look at a thing and think of a few symbols for it you have a good item.

Looking at old games, say Monopoly. I love the shoe game piece. Maybe you have an old Monopoly that you can pull the pieces out for your kit/or to give away. What about Spaghetti Betty? She has removable hands and feet. I have some of her pieces in my Toy Oracle.

What about Barbie toys? Little purses, microphones, cell phones. If you have kids and you have Barbie accessories you've hit the mother load.

Is this helpful or do you all think I'm being psycho here. LOL.