Flotsam and Jetsam Divination Kits! Help create one for you and one for me!

Satori

Mi-Shell said:
But using it over the years I find there are a few pieces that are more Powerful in their message-giving than others.
And the ting is, I happen to have several more of these items, very similar in power, that I can not use and that I always wanted to pass on to other SERIOUS diviners.....
For example I have several ancient pottery shards from the ruins of Teotihuacan, collected in the Agave fields behind the “Pyramid of the Magician”.
From the tailings coming from a test dig just across from the Pyramid of the Moon I have quite a few fragments of Obsidian knifes. These rigorously cut to the truth of the matter with a precision like the one from Tezcalipoca, the Smoking Mirror..
I fully realize, that these are not necessarily energies that many of you guys would want to work with -
but - iffff .... Let me know....

LOL, what a tantalizing little minx she is, eh?
Obsidian knives that cut to the truth of the matter. Beautiful.

I have found that the same is true of some of my decks. Certain cards seem to step forward with more power and information for me, while others may never even show their faces. I see this happen with the Faeries Oracle. Some cards never show up. Others carry more weight and I like how you say it, more powerful in their message.

But divination with an assortment of objects, random objects is very intriguing to me. And when you see that most cultures have their own indigenous forms of divining you see that the tradition is part of being human, part of our mystical heritage and birthright.

African Chokwe divination baskets are created in a very special way. First the basket must be woven by a woman who is past her bleeding times. She weaves the basket for the diviner, and even the time of day that the basket is created is important.

As the basket is filled with implements it becomes alive, carrying a soul almost, but the final little bit that makes the basket truly live is the ancestor piece. It sort of sparks the rest of the pieces, sending the energy and magic from itself, the heart I think of the basket. This is my understanding of these baskets anyway, and I only heard of them because I saw that EE wants one. So I researched them and was pretty amazed by the whole creation of the Chokwe basket.

I know that some of the pieces are carved by the diviner, and maybe even the ancestor piece was carved by someone in the family. Once in the basket the 60+ odd items (they also include things like dessicated monkey paws, jaguar teeth, and other animal parts) are tossed toward the edge of the basket. Whatever lands closest to the edge becomes part of the reading. And of course it is more than that...and very much up to the diviner to determine.

For our purposes, for the creation of the flotsam and jetsam oracle, I won't try to ask for a certain piece to come my way. In my normal daily life I always try to influence outcomes, push things a certain way, try to create the most favorable conditions for my kids, myself, my family. Of course it doesn't always work and I expend energy probably for no good reason. So with this exercise, my goal is to trust the process. I need to trust that the items that are supposed to find their way to me will.

So I will wait and see what the tide throws up on my shore, see what little messages in a bottle come my way!

I just keep trying to offer up ideas for everyone so that everyone gets the most out of the experience for themselves.

rhombchick

LOL!
I just found my dried animal collection!
These are creatures that I have found, already dried out, behind a box or under something.
Most are too fragile to use in an oracle (dried butterfly, spider)

But if customs didn't prohibit the sending of bio stuffs someone might have ended up with a dry frog, gecko or bearded dragon!!!

Elven

I have been thinking about what to send and Im a beader, so I have some wonderful beads I think I will be sending. I have stone beads - hematite anks and crosses, and some rose quartz and black pearls, jade amulets and some little angels I made from gold wire and yellow tricone glass that need a new home.

This is exciting getting all this stuff together :D

Cheers
Elven x

Satori

OK. So if no one signs up in the next two days come Monday we'll move to the next phase. No sense dragging this out! We want to get cracking!

What I need from each of you:

-Do you care if you are mailing to USA/Europe/Asia or do you prefer to stay within your own borders, or closer to home.
-Where is everyone, what country. Some of you have no listing for where in the world you are, so I have no idea.

I want to start creating the groups and deciding how to move on to the next phase.

I don't want to do this, but I actually think it makes sense if the groups want to create separate threads and communicate with each other via the thread. This thread can continue to be for general discussion and checking in, and I think we should all feel free to look in on each other's groups and of course,we can all comment in each oher's group theads.

In fact, when I post the groups I'll create the threads and set you up with your list of members. It will be like posting a study group on the wall outside the library door! ;) And then, the groups will act as reading rooms for when we do the reading practice at the end of it all.

When I post the names what will happen is this. Whomever is first on the list is the first to get a kit. The first person will send their address information to everyone else in the group and then those folks will mail out the package for that first person. When everything has arrived the first person posts about her love/dismay of what was in each packet.

Then we move on to the next one. Same process.

Please tell your group members what you have seeded your bag with. Just for the fun of it! ;)

Sound good?

thorhammer

Sounds good to me, Satori :)

I'm in Australia, and if you could wrangle it so the Aussies are in the same group that would help. I think there are three of us - me, Rhombchick and Elven - but I might have missed someone.

But I'm used to sending OS anyway, and five parcels is much better than fifteen! It will probably cost from $5 to $10 for postage OS no matter how small it is, so the smaller groups are a big help!

\m/ Kat

NorthernTigress

I'm in Canada. I'd prefer to send within North America, but I have sent things farther in the past.

I've already started a bag full of misc "stuff", and I think I know which one I'm keeping for myself. I almost forgot about it, and I'm thrilled that still have it. It's a piece of a shell that has been touched/handled so much that it is silky-smooth. Or else it has been polished. :p What do I know?

Hey, that might be my theme. The Textured Oracle (aka the touchy-feely bag).

thorhammer

What a great theme, NT! I sort of wasn't going to go with a theme (and probably still won't) but that really is a top idea.

I've got a couple of things I've been carrying around for years that will go into mine - a broken bit of a china doll's face that I found on a median strip one day, a largish worry doll, an ancient coin that TCO sent me . . .

\m/ Kat

Anam Cara

Satori, this just keeps getting better and better!
Thank you so much for organizing it all! :heart:

I'm in California and would prefer to ship within North America, if possible.

I've got oodles of tiny treasures in nooks and crannies all over the house,
and I'm looking forward to SHARING :D
But two things I'm definitely keeping to seed my own kit: my great grandmother's
(Victorian era) itty bitty (doesn't even fit my pinkie!) sewing thimble and
a lovely sturdy piece of sea glass my own anam cara
picked up for me on the beach when we were still dating :love:

I'm over-the-moon for all things Victorian and
beach related, so I figured these would be a good
start.

:heart:Cara

stefficus

ah, mi-shell! i'd love to work with energies like that... we're a special group, you know. :laugh: i'm just not always sure they wanna work with me.

rhombchick, i think we're alone in being a tad disappointed by only having 5 people per group. heh. most of the stuff i'm finding is so wee, postage wouldn't really be that much BUT if we're allowed more than 3 items, i think i'll live. :D

i prefer north america, please... but i'm flexible if need be.

Wendywu

Mi-Shell said:
Before going to bed -
I read the whole thread.....

I do have a Siberian Drum Oracle, like the ones my people use, but not with sheep knuckles but with small meaningful pieces collected over a few years.
It has to be 41 pieces. It contains a Bear claw and a Wolf’s tooth and a few other rather personal items.
But using it over the years I find there are a few pieces that are more Powerful in their message-giving than others.
And the ting is, I happen to have several more of these items, very similar in power, that I can not use and that I always wanted to pass on to other SERIOUS diviners.....
For example I have several ancient pottery shards from the ruins of Teotihuacan, collected in the Agave fields behind the “Pyramid of the Magician”.
From the tailings coming from a test dig just across from the Pyramid of the Moon I have quite a few fragments of Obsidian knifes. These rigorously cut to the truth of the matter with a precision like the one from Tezcalipoca, the Smoking Mirror..
I fully realize, that these are not necessarily energies that many of you guys would want to work with -
but - iffff .... Let me know....

I got this far reading the thread and the drool threatened to overwhelm my keyboard, so I thought I'd better post while I still can :D

Sorry I've been out of the loop - work has been a crazy place. This sounds sooooo good - I will start to search around - I have some wonderful tiny fossils :) And given that we are packrats I am sure there is other stuff here. If not - well, there is a big beach just down the road, and a wide open moor up the road .....

Oh yes - I'm happy to post worldwide :) I'm in the UK.

I have a lovely little guinea pig skull - it belonged to Dennis, one of the first two guinea pigs born in this house and I loved him dearly. When he died we cremated him but not well enough because his skull survived. I keep it in a special box and remember him with a happy smile. Other than that the only bones I have are the Chicken Bone Oracle - my special toy :)

I like bones and teeth and things .....

I would love a flake of an obsidian knife but if I am not in Mi-Shell's group - I know what whatever is in my Flotsam Oracle will be powerful because I/Spirit will make it so.... and this will be true for each of us provided we work with our Oracles.

Will we set up a reading group with our Oracles????