Just bought the Navigators of the Mystic SEA

6 Haunted Days

Thanks Debra! It's like Amazon's "look inside" feature, trouble is not all books have it. They should though, people are much more likely to buy a book when they can see how it reads and looks, I know I am.

Le Fanu

I bought this deck a couple of weeks ago. I'd been half-heartedly looking for it for a while. I walked into an esoteric shop here which I'd never noticed before and saw it on the shelf and so took it home with me.

I absolutely loved it as soon as I took it out of the shrink-wrap. It literally took my breath away, reminds me in certain moments of Max Ernst or Chagall. An unnerving tension in some of the images. Two weeks on and I still can't put it down. This for me in tarot terms means a lot. Two weeks with a new decks and not feeling the urge to put it to one side and go back to familiar favourites or shop more.

I'm quite taken aback at how much this deck captivates me. The vivid colours, the size of the cards (so wonderful to shuffle), and I look at the images so replete with symbolism and they don't feel at all bogged down to me. I just find the whole composition and movement of each and every card so intoxicating. I love the androgyny and psychedelic colours. Each card is a little hot-house of atmosphere. Rodney's thoughts have really helped me to make in-roads into the symbolism of this deck, but I find it such a vivid deck for reading (the few times I've used it for proper readings, most of the time I just pore over the images like I would an art book.) It really is in a category of its own.

The review here at AT says that it has gone OOP but a new edition is planned. Any more info on this??

Anyone else use this deck as a favourite?

hunter

Debra mailed me a copy of this deck and I love it! I have played with it quite a bit, but have not been able to give it the attention yet it deserves.

I have been bogged down in researching treatment options for a problem I am having right now. I have been really triggered and need some nostalgia right now, and don't really have study time for a new deck right now, so I have mostly put the navigators aside right now, for my standard RWS and Medicine Cards, but I pick up the navigators every day and just look at it for a few minutes.

I too love the androgynous people and bright colors. The book is excellent too. I want to trim the deck, but want to wait a bit to do that. I feel like I need to get a little sturdier, and a little bored, before I can really sink my teeth into this gem of a deck.

Le Fanu

I have seen complaints here about the borders and the keywords and weirdly -for once - neither of these things bother me. Maybe because the keywords really do help me with this one, and really seem in tune with the deck and what it is saying.

It is a very comforting deck to just go through, card by card and - like the OP says - you really do enter into another world. At the end of an exhausting day, I just float free in these images before I go to sleep!

hunter

Yeah, I like the keywords too.

The pictures do magically pull you in, don't they?

When I first got the deck, I was a bit sturdier than I am now and being pulled into a magical world was enjoyable...but right now...that profound shift...feels scary, kind of :-0

This deck is STRONG. I feel like I need to get stronger to us it. Like I will get lost in it :-0

Owl Song

I have been looking at this set for a long time and finally purchased a copy of the deck (new) and a copy of the book (used.) The prices seem to be going up so I figured I had better snag one now while I can. I do hope they reprint as stated earlier. There are so few really excellent Thoth "clones."

Anyway, I am very excited; I'm going to study this one.

hunter

I'm drowning in cartomancy, astrology, and temperament study right now, but I'm so glad I have this deck and the book (I got mine used too) tucked away, to study when the time is right. It is very special.

Le Fanu

I have had this deck for 6 weeks or so now and it still has my attention. I really, really like this deck. I get it out and go through it or read with it every day. I cannot profess to know what the artist meant with every single symbol, but I never seem to get tired of looking at it and I find it reads quite effortlessly as the attention is always drawn to some tiny details which 100 other readings could easily have overlooked. I love the colours, the genderless feel to it, the juxtaposition of odd images. I dunno, I just look at the cards and they make sense. I don't even feel I'm in the Thoth universe to be honest!

I ordered a 2nd copy but it seems to be taking ages to arrive!

Owl Song

Le Fanu, I wrote to US Games Systems to see if they would confirm the reprint; I will let you know what I hear.

I can't wait to see the cards close up; you can only see so much from the computer scans. I absolutely love the Emperor and Empress cards. The colors are so rich and vivid. From what I've seen, the deck seems like it is both mystical (with plenty to think about) and accessible.

I've been searching for a deck that would stretch my intellect and imagination, that would feel new and innovative. Except for a small dabbling with the Liber T, I have always used strict RWS decks or clones.

I'll update once my deck arrives. Can't wait!