Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

Kissa

Brilliant, beautiful! Gorgeous!

Kissa ("the cat" in finnish)
adding her own purring to the choir of already numerous delighted purrings

ncefafn

I'd seen a couple of pics, but I went through this entire thread last night and today, and I WANT IT!

Note from Kim: Please help me, my cat Maeve is forcing me to type thisWAAHAHHGHHHH!!!!

Seriously, I saw the Knight of Swords and I heard a feline voice in my head say, "Let slip the WHATS of war???" :D

Kim

Alta

ncefafn said:
Seriously, I saw the Knight of Swords and I heard a feline voice in my head say, "Let slip the WHATS of war???" :D
hahaha
I have always figured cats would be better warriors. More subtle and without mercy. Dogs are wands (batons), cats are swords.

HudsonGray

Yes, 18 swords plus 4 daggers!

baba-prague

Oh yes, cats as warriors. Definitely. They can be so domestic and cuddly one minute, then they go into hunting or fighting mode and just change! I have the scratches to prove it! (our smaller one is just mad about those feathers on sticks right now - and gets carried away totally, claws and teeth everywhere - when I play with her with one of those).

I do think cats will like these Knights cards!

More cards to come when we have time to finish more. We seem to have got stuck with several at 90% there stage.

M-Press. Thanks for the comments. The cats on the stage are staring at something above them (fate?), and one is half-praying. Yes, the pic is much too small.

With The Fool comments I disagree in visual terms, but I think that's only because I can see the card printed, and it looks quite different. Somehow these little digital pics are really doing nothing for the cards. They really will be a lot better in print. Frustrating!
edited to add. I took a look, and yes, at this size everything merges in. In fact, it won't - honest! The roof and coat are quite different colours. The angel is a weather vane and looks gorgeous but ridiculous in detail (she is from an original Baroque fountain here, and always makes me laugh - a kind of foolish angel?)

The story about the mouse? This is an odd one. I was very surprised to get Lark's suggestion, because we did a "dressed cat" Christmas card in 2002 - our first (rather crude) attempt at this kind of thing. It had a little mouse, in the lefthand corner, staring up at the cat... very much as she describes.
I will try to find it and post up that detail. Very odd that she "saw" this so clearly. Coincidence maybe - but I was surprised!

Demonesse

I think the take on the Death card is very original, with the ToP-ish skeleton in front and what seems to be like a gigantic figure grasping a human in the back - but I didn't quite warm to it, after gazing at it for some time. I was hoping for a slightly darker and less cluttered card, hopefully something to do with a fallen mouse. ;)

Edited to add - Hmm. I have taken a liking to the border, after all. :)

baba-prague

Oh Demonesse. I know you like dark, but you can't ask for too much dark in this deck - not with kitties! LOL
and here was me wondering if it was too dark!? These poor cats are on their knees and look scared - although we know from the setting that they are only acting...

The figure in the background is a renaissance Grim Reaper about to chop the head off the little man he is holding (am I winning you around?)
The figure on the front is a more classical Death ringing a little bell (as in "time's up") Here he is. I think he is pretty grisly.

Yes, it's kind of full of stuff going on - this is true. It's partly our style (though we try to lay out with care to keep things distinct and elegant) but also it's partly out of deference to Baroque - the most cluttered, funny, over-the-top and outrageously graphic era ever.

But we are working on The Devil and I will think what you say and make sure it is at least darkish (we do have a very severe tapestry of the devil which we want to use).

Now I bet someone says this card is too dark :)

Attachments

• c_death_crop.jpg
    c_death_crop.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 121

Demonesse

I know, I know! Perhaps I will come to appreciate it in time, as with the border. ;)

A suggestion: could one of the cats, perhaps the white, hold a curled-up mouse in one paw? It would add focus as well as a bit of ambiguity to the card - since we know the cats are play-acting, is the mouse *really* dead?

baba-prague

For Demonesse - the VERY Grim Reaper ;-/

Attachments

• c_death_crop2.jpg
    c_death_crop2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 114

baba-prague

MICE!?

I am very suspicious of this sudden lobbying to put mice in this deck. I strongly suspect that some of these postings have not been done by people at all - but by their cats! (secretly logging in at night?)

Okay, okay, we will find some mice - just to keep our feline audience happy (but NO tins of catfood - they didn't have them in the Baroque - right?)