The 7 Deadly Sins

JSNYC

I was just pondering, I don't know what got me started thinking about this. But I thought of something that I thought might be interesting to post for comment. I think some of the attributions are not a really good representation of the card, but a valid attribution none-the-less, and they obviously represent a reversed aspect of the card. So feel free to rearrange any attributions (or wording) that you may disagree with (or state the whole thing is hooey! :laugh: ). I obviously thought the attributions were valid enough and interesting enough to post.

Wrath I The Magician (misuse of power)
Envy II The High Priestess (misuse of perception)
Gluttony III The Empress (misuse of abundance)
Sloth IV The Emperor (misuse of discipline)
Pride V The Hierophant (misuse of knowledge)
Lust VI The Lovers (misuse of desire)
Greed VII The Chariot (misuse of ambition)

WyrdRaven

I think you're onto something! Plus you have a nice structure for the deck: Mortal and Venial Sins (trumps and minor arcana).

Thirteen

JSNYC said:
I like the idea. There are, however, a few I'd switch--if I may? ;)

PrideMagician. He isn't about power, he is about inspiration and creation. His glib tongue, however, can turn to boastfulness, his tricks be used to get applause and make him a star. Thus, he can easily mistake himself as the one who makes the magic, rather than being the vessel through which his magic is done. He can make it about himself, about the ego, rather than about the magic.

Wrath Emperor. Who is in control and at his worse DOES throw temper tantrums like a spoiled child, and makes everyone shake and fear his anger or displeasure. No one fears the magician's anger, but they do the Emperor's. The Emperor is not about discipline, but authority. And the worst way to abuse authority is to take out your anger on those who can't fight back. Those under your command and at your service.

Sloth Chariot. This is the card of discipline--control of those horses, a focused destination, energy to get there. So abuse of it would be sloth. And, indeed, there are times when we see the Chariot unmoving, the horses at rest, the wheels still. The opposite of having a drive is having none.

Greed The Hierophant. This has always been the great sin of organized religions, the one criticized most strongly by reformers like Martin Luther, the accusation that they ask people to give them money so they can live richly while their worshipers live poorly. That they promise salvation at a cost. They wear the rich robes, build fantastic palaces of worship. And they're never satisfied; they must always have more people, doing what they say. They will not share with other faiths. Rules of tradition and faith become tyrannous if they get greedy and want all from those they guide, rather than giving all to those they guide.

Golden Moon

JSNYC said:

Fabulous...!!!

Golden Moon

Now, lets think of the 7 Heavenly Virtues...

I got some cards for them.

cardlady22

Are these the correct Virtues:
chastity
temperance
charity
diligence
patience
kindness
humility

And then what would the remaining 7 be associated with? :grin:
The Lights themselves?

Golden Moon

cardlady22 said:
chastity = Hermit
temperance = Temperance
charity = Judgment
diligence = Strength
patience = Star
kindness = Sun
humility = World

This is my take.

Golden Moon

And then there are 3 more...

Extravagance
Acedia
Despair
Vanity

cardlady22

I'm probably all wet but this was fun.

I came across a webpage that associated the 7 Lights/Planets with the pairs of the Vices & Virtues. I divided the majors into groups of seven and played.

chastity - lust (Venus)
~ VI Lovers, IX Hermit, XVII Star
temperance - gluttony (Mercury)
~ III Empress, XIV Temperance, XX Judgment
charity - greed (Sun)
~ V Hierophant, XIII Death, XIX Sun
diligence - sloth (Moon)
~ VII Chariot, VIII Strength, XVIII Moon
patience - wrath (Saturn)
~ IV Emperor, XII Hanged Man, XV Devil
kindness - envy (Mars)
~ II High Priestess, XI Justice, XVI Tower
humility - pride (Jupiter)
~ I Magician, X Wheel, XXI World

If it's too much of a tangent from the original poster's idea, please divide it off or delete it.

hunter

Thanks! I've been meaning to research the pairings of these to use in my journaling for literature analysis. And now I can combine that with my astrology/cartomancy studies.

Can any of you apply Ben Franklin's list to Tarot? I haven't yet looked up the antonyms to this list yet.

The thirteen moral virtues listed by Benjamin Franklin in his Autobiography:

1. Temperance. Eat not to Dulness. Drink not to Elevation.

2. Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling Conversation.

3. Order. Let all your Things have their Places. Let each Part of your Business have its Time.

4. Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.

5. Frugality. Make no Expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. Waste nothing.

6. Industry. Lose no Time. Be always employ'd in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary Actions.

7. Sincerity. Use no hurtful Deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

8. Justice. Wrong none, by doing Injuries or omitting the Benefits that are your Duty.

9. Moderation. Avoid Extreams. Forbear resenting Injuries so much as you think they deserve.

10. Cleanliness. Tolerate no Uncleanness in Body, Cloaths or Habitation.

11. Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at Trifles, or at Accidents common or unavoidable.

12. Chastity. Rarely use Venery but for Health or Offspring; Never to Dulness, Weakness, or the Injury of your own or another's Peace or Reputation.

13. Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

Also...

The Morning Question, What Good shall I do this Day?

The Evening Question, What Good have I done to day?