Counting The Crows-sharing my divination method

Chronata

Maybe it's the Crows themselves (they being my feathered totem messengers!)
...but something has been proding me to share this form of divination with the world...or at least the world of AT. :D

Technically, this is an oracle that I have devised. Although I thought it might be better in here, than in the Oracle forum...simply because it is not a deck, and the images are really secondary, to the way that it works.

I have made this particular oracle out of flat irredescent glass marbles, that I have painted with numbers and a simple image.

I call this method CROWSTONES.

And it is based on many of the old ryhmes and folklore surrounding the counting of crows (in the US) and Magpies(in Europe) to herald omens and give messages.
Many superstitions surround these black feathered fortune tellers, and I have been facinated by this since I was very small!

I originally developed this for use with children. When I would do readings for public gatherings, I often see a lot of children intertested in "fortune telling". Sometimes the tarot didn't seem appropriate, or was a little too complex.

And children love being the fortune tellers themselves! Once they know the rhyme, they can make thier own Crowstones out of virtually anything...as long as the pieces are numbered or they can remember which number goes with which piece.

I have considered making this into a deck of cards, but the stones seem so much more correct. They way they feel, the tactile aspect, and the fact that crows like to collect and hoard shiny treasures...it just makes sense!

so...take 20 objects...like stones or shells, or shiny glass marbles. Number them 1-20, or have them be different enough, that you can recall which goes with which number.

Put them in a bag, and choose 1-3 for a question...or choose 5 stones and drop them to see what kind of pattern they create.
Or alternately...devise a spread.

This is a very simplistic divination method...but with intuition, I have found that it can be very accurate...and as complex as I want it to be.

So...now that you have your stones...recall the following rhyme to determine your future, make sense of your past, or deal with the heart of the present matter....

ONE is a message
TWO is for mirth!
THREE is a marriage,
FOUR is a birth.
FIVE is for riches
SIX is a thief
SEVEN is a journey
EIGHT is a grief.
NINE is a secret
TEN is a sorrow
ELEVEN is for love,
TWELVE is for joy tomorrow.
THIRTEEN is bad luck
FOURTEEN is danger,
FIFTEEN is a change of luck
SIXTEEN is a stranger.
SEVENTEEN is for adventure
EIGHTEEN is a love that's new,
NINETEEN is fame and honor,
TWENTY is a wish that comes true!

~Of course, you can always use this method the old fashioned way, and count the crows that are cawing to you! (and if you happen to see more than twenty...than you are witness to a crow convention, and no messages are available at that time!)

Thanks for letting me share this! Happy counting!

Le_Corsair

Outstanding, Chronata! I love the very idea of it. Well done!

You know who will probably like this? Umbrae. Watch and see.

Bob :THERM

skytwig

Crow conventions are fantabulous, aren't they? I also like crow rivers.... when they fly in thousands from their hang out to hang out.... they seem to love cemetaries!!

Crow is Spirit Bird to me and, yes, I count them!! :laugh:

What a grand idea for children!!! We have so many Crystal Children making their appearance now; I am not surprised that you are meeting them! Wuhoooooo! :)

13thFaeChylde

I love this! Crows regularly convene at my house...I live in a clearing in the woods surrounded on 2 sides by fields. They are very special to me..these crows.

Can't wait to try this!

poivre

I will try this also!

I have crows around the house also.

HudsonGray

Chronata, have you thought about doing up sets to sell? Complete with instruction booklet? It sounds like something that could be a really good idea & not just for the kids.

I'd made up 30 sets of runes with those little flattened marbles, and sold all 30 at one craft show for $5 each (they didn't take that much time to make).

skytwig

HudsonGray said:
I'd made up 30 sets of runes with those little flattened marbles, and sold all 30 at one craft show for $5 each (they didn't take that much time to make).
Yes, I agree, Chronata..... you know we would buy some..... :D

And Hudson...... how did you mark them? Great idea, but I wouldn't know how to put the rune on the glass 'tear'......

HudsonGray

It took experimentation. I had a bottle of Modge Podge. The runes were drawn on white paper, cut out into circles that fit on the back, given a layer of modge podge on the paper, the marble set on top of that & turned over to dry. Then a layer of Modge Podge over the back of the paper & up a bit past it by 1/4" onto the glass. That dried, but when two touched, they would stick & one would pull off like a sticker from the back, so what I did was go to the Dollar Store & get a bottle of clear nail polish & OUTSIDE (fumes!!!) put clear nail polish over wherever the Modge Podge was. THAT did the trick.

They could be squished together & not stick at all after that. And heat and humidity didn't affect it either. The marbles were from the Dollar Store, I think the whole thing, even with fabric & cord for pouches, cost me $7 for all 30 sets (not including the jar of Modge Podge which I got on sale at Michaels for half price, I think $1.70).

Just make sure you use the nail polish outdoors. Those fumes will kill brain cells.

skytwig

HudsonGray said:

Just make sure you use the nail polish outdoors. Those fumes will kill brain cells.
:laugh: Thanks Hudson.... great idea!!!!

Chronata

Actually I do a lot of things with those little flattened marbles! :)

The method I use is glass enamel paint, that can be baked on to make it (mostly) permenant
It works really great on the individual stones that I sell with words on them (like "dream" "Love", etc..)...the trouble with doing a whole oracle is that after a lot of use...the image will begin to wear away...simply from the stones rubbing together in the bag. :(

I have actually sold a few sets of similar oracle stones at Sci Fi Conventions in the art auctions.(for an amazingly weird range of prices)
Mostly...with the Crowstones, I have made them exclusively for gifts.

But hey...if anyone wants a set...just send me a PM.
Don't know what I would charge for them...but I am sure we could work out a nice trade of...something!