Runes: The Elder Futhark - Table of Contents

hunter

I just got my first set of runes today with a 40% off coupon at Borders. Just want to bump this up, so I can find it.

I'd really like to talk about the individual runes.

I have Blum's Relationship Runes and Bob Oswald's The Rune Reminder. I'm going to check the library for books tomorrow.

MiriamArcadiaDove

Making my own rune set...

Questions:
I have some scrap poplar wood which was square but carved down to look more organic, is this OK to use? I think it will look beautiful once it has been sanded down, carved, stained then polished...

Also, is there a 25th rune? If so, what does it mean? It it optional?

I have been reading the posts about casting the runes, and the 24 rune drop seems to be more in tune with well... me. Is this normal, to have a definite preference ahead of time, prior to casting the runes?

Emily

I'm bumping this up - I've just started to learn how to use the Runes again. I've just found this thread in a search, I didn't realise there was a study thread. I'm looking forward to reading through this. :)

SilverClaw

MiriamArcadiaDove said:
Questions:
I have some scrap poplar wood which was square but carved down to look more organic, is this OK to use? I think it will look beautiful once it has been sanded down, carved, stained then polished...
Yes that is ok to use . It is really up to you and what you feel intuitively drawn to. I have sets made out of wood, glass, crystal, stones, and many other things :)

Eowyn

I'm bumping this thread just to comment that Runes have their own song lol

"Uthark Runa", by Therion.

And they sing the uthark!!

fairybugg

Bumping this very sleepy thread

I am being sucked into the world of Runes so I wanted to bump this very tired thread so I can find it a little easier. :)

Lunnita

I started studying runes few days ago. Bought that Ralph Blum set and honestly there is something wrong about it. I found the answers so cruel. Sometimes they don't even match the answers I get from tarot. I read tarot for many years and it never failed for me. Maybe me and runes are not compatible... Sometimes it gives me right answers but in such a cruel way. :(

BelovedK

I just got some rather direct answers when I consulted the Runes today. Not at all gentle, painful even. I am giving them a good chance, I think I may just have to get to know my set :)

Lunnita

BelovedK said:
I just got some rather direct answers when I consulted the Runes today. Not at all gentle, painful even. I am giving them a good chance, I think I may just have to get to know my set :)

Thats what I think about myself. They are kinda cruel but maybe I shall give them another chance...

fairybugg

Lunnita said:
They are kinda cruel but maybe I shall give them another chance...

Hi Lunnita,
The thing about the runes is they are very direct. They don't mess around. No holding back with them...
One thing that I notice about most Tarot decks is that they are either too indirect or their meanings are too diluted for me to understand. You won't get that with the runes. They will tell you the truth in all ways. That might seem cruel but for me it is refreshing. I don't want to be lied to. Most of the time the absolute truth is going to sting a little.
I hope you learn to like them. Perhaps try a different book until you can learn their meanings.
Good luck
fairybugg