Books in French on the Marseille

tmgrl2

Rusty Neon said:
tmgrl ... The Kléa book is quite unconventional but fun to own. If you want something closer to a more conventional 20th century post-Marteau French tarotist approach to the 78 cards of the TdM, you may also wish to check out Sédillot's _Ombres_ book (see details in one of my earlier posts), available through amazon.ca.

ty, I will ...I ordered Claude Darche's book...hope I can get my French back...I have a very old Cassell's Dictionary, 1951, ...I studied French in hschool and minored in French /French lit in undergraduate...so this will be fun....terri

tmgrl2

Rusty Neon said:
tmgrl ... The Kléa book is quite unconventional but fun to own. If you want something closer to a more conventional 20th century post-Marteau French tarotist approach to the 78 cards of the TdM, you may also wish to check out Sédillot's _Ombres_ book (see details in one of my earlier posts), available through amazon.ca.

done...they had it at Amazon.ca

I now have at least 3 books to start with including the one that will be coming with the Camoin deck....ty terri

Rusty Neon

wow. tmgrl ... that's a lot of books to buy in one fell swoop. :)

On the other hand, here I am with 2 books in the amazon.ca online shopping basket, 40 cents short of the $40 required for free shipping, and not wanting to make a third book purchase so soon. Anyone know anything I can buy on amazon for 50 cents? :)

tmgrl2

Rusty Neon said:
wow. tmgrl ... that's a lot of books to buy in one fell swoop. :)

On the other hand, here I am with 2 books in the amazon.ca online shopping basket, 40 cents short of the $40 required for free shipping, and not wanting to make a third book purchase so soon. Anyone know anything I can buy on amazon for 50 cents? :)

LOL...the books I ordered from Amazaon.us were all from different places, so no free shipping. Blech! And not from
Canada to U.S. either....I really did it this week. Growing library for retirement...
50cents? an old comic book...or no, not too old, or it would be expensive...I usually wind up buying another book to get free shipping!

ty tmgrl

Kissa

i'm bumping this thread because i'd like to hear more about Klea's book.

i only own Sédillot's book and one pocket book about interpreting TdM but this one is just as bad as any RWS book or lwb :p : stuffed with arbitrary divinatory meanings, keywords... Carole Sédillot's book, on the opposite, is really thought provocating, deep and yet very informative and useful for a beginner like me.

kissa

tmgrl2

Klea's book, Au Fil d'Arcane, is well worth ordering...

I have just scratched the surface...what I do is use it to explore elements of a card when I do an online reading.

Mine is getting tattered and torn. I don't go through everything she has on a card...just parts that strike my
"intuitive fancy" in the moment.

I also have Les Lettres-Nombres by Klea. Most of it has material that is WAY beyond my ken, but for a good in-depth examination of the "numbers" and how they can be used, I find it quite good. Again, not a read-through book like Carol Sedillot's. Klea's book is quite well organized, with each section not too long, yet she spends a bit of time on various elements in the cards.

Claude Darche...bit too cursory for me, but need to re-examine it in time.

I also have Hadar's book Mon Premier Livre de Tarot[.

I haven't gone through it enough, but found that I have to "sift through" Kris coming through very powerfully about meanings and on some, so far, I don't find the meanings to resonate well with me. I just got this book a couple of months ago.

Also, Jodorowsky's book La Voie du Tarot. I have quoted some parts. Again, very quick look through, but his style and content do not pull me in as Klea's and Sedillot's do.

I look forward to the Robert O'Neill reprint, as I believe the iconology work is of great import in the study of the Tarot.

....and it's in English!

Just some quick impressions. I am a great one for buying a book, skimming parts and making decisions about whether I want to explore in-depth sooner, later or never.

I do revisit some that I have set aside, when someone here finds some tidbit that I find very interesting.

terri

One day, with more time, I will hopefully be studying more in-depth, but also reading "live." (No books to look in then!)

Sophie

Rusty Neon said:
(9) Marie-Thérèse des Longchamps: _Les 78 lames du Tarot de Marseille_ (Detail-by-detail coverage of the pictorial details of the major and minor arcana of the Grimaud deck). My third favourite post-Marteau book on the TdM. Because of its excruciating detail, I venture inside this book only when I have tons of energy.)

What are your first two favourite?

ps- thanks for your info on the Spanish version of La Voie du Tarot. I imagine that more people in the US learn Spanish than French so it will be useful to some to know they don't have to plough through Jodorowski in French.

Rusty Neon

Corinne Morel: volume 1: Les Arcanes mineurs

A tarotist on a yahoo tarot group (TarotL) was asking about the system used in Morel's book on the minor arcana from her three-volume set:

Volume 1: Les Arcanes mineurs.

The was my response (albeit a bit too quickly drafted for the precision of ATF). I thought I'd cross-post it here, in case anybody is interested.

For the pip cards of the Marseille deck, Morel's approach is number and suit; but the number + suit combined meaning is often tempered by reference to very basic design features of the cards. She's not a "count the number of petals on the flowers" kind of gal. She combines it into a useful working system of divinatory meanings for the Marseille minors.

I didn't like Morel's book at first, preferring books by other Francophone authors that employ a more detailed analysis and breakdown of the card details such as the flowers (à la the quintessential Paul Marteau and more recent authors Carole Sédillot and Marie-Thérèse des Longchamps).

However, in recent months, I'm preferring a more relaxed approach to the Marseille minors (although I would have preferred _a bit more_ reference by Morel to basic design features of the cards). I've rediscovered Morel's book off my bookshelf and it has become my bedside tarot book. I find that too much fixation on microscopic details (e.g., botanical differences between the flora in the 3 of Batons versus the 5 of Batons) isn't a very relaxing hobby for me. :) As well, it's no use spending too much effort in analysing micoscopic details or colours that aren't the same between the various Marseille and Marseille-cousin patterns: e.g., Conver Marseille, Dodal Marseille, Viéville, etc. With the basic card meanings in mind as a basis, one can certainly look at the card details for elaboration on the basic card meaning and/or for intuitive in-the-moment meanings.

On the other hand, when it comes to the court cards, she does pay a lot of attention to the card design.

Hope this helps.