View Single Post
Citizen

MikeH 

Thanks, Cerulean. These descriptions seem to be tailored to the Etteilla III cards, unlike the booklet that goes with the Dusserre Etteilla III (also called Grand Jeu Oracle des Dames). If you compare the two booklets, you'll see that the phrasing is often the same as the Orsini (either c. 1838 or c. 1853), indicating that your de la Rue booklet is a revision of the Orsini to fit the new deck--with some additional variations, some of which are incorporated in the modern Grimaud booklet.

You said "circa 1860." The date you gave in Spanish is "hacia 1865." That agrees with Decker et al (p. 149), who say that the de la Rue was first issued "about 1865." (Added later: Well, I suppose c. 1865 is also "circa 1860." For similar reasons, I now say that the Orsini 2nd edition was c. 1853 rather than c. 1850, as I did at first--because Waite (or is it Levi?) gives 1853 as the publication date in his editions of Tarot of the Bohemians, and that date is also endorsed by Alfred Douglas in his Tarot of 1972. But perhaps he was just copying Waite and hadn't actually read it.)

You might compare your no. 8 card with that posted by Sumada at http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/131# (the card on the right). He calls this deck his "Etteilla IIIB." Since there is a tax stamp, he says, it is 1890-1917. It is considerably prettier than the other version, his "de la Rue" (the card on the left, also on his next page), which also has a tax stamp and is the version reproduced by Dusserre.

If all the cards are that pretty, you have a nice purchase. And the booklet variations are quite fascinating.
Top   #91