Book advice

wavebreaker

Hi,

I'm still very new to tarot, I've been working with the cards for only a few months now. I used Joan Bunning's book (the online version) to learn about the cards.

I would now like to go on, to learn more, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on other books? There are so many tarot books available, it's really difficult to choose...

I was thinking about getting Tarot for Your Self by Mary K. Greer, because I've read a lot of good reviews about it from many different people. And also her book about Tarot Reversals, because I don't know anything yet about reversals.

Would these be good choices? What other books would you recommend?

Thanks!

aeonx

Greetings tarotlady_nl and welcome to the forum! :)
I would highly recommend "78 Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachel Pollack. It's the best book on tarot I've read so far, no matter it you're a beginner or not. I think "Tarot for Yourself" is very good too. Actually, I started a thread on these two not long ago, and it seemed like the one is as great as the other. :) Good luck!

~aeonx~

Aerin

I've got Tarot for Yourself and the Tarot Reversals book. I'm finding both really useful: the book on reversals contains lots of detailed 'upright' meanings as well, and I'm glad I have both. It is also useful even if you never use reversals, as it gives you a full spectrum of meaning for a card. I nearly bought the other Mary Greer books as well, but have decided not to as I haven't yet found what else they could give me.

I have some other books mainly on Jung and Tarot. They are great background but didn't help much in learning 'how to'. The Mythic Tarot workbook was good for that, even though I don't have the deck. I have heard that the Idiot's Guide book is good, but I haven't seen it myself.

I'm thinking of getting the Rachel Pollack book, just need to leave a decent gap between Amazon parcels arriving through the door ;). My Motherpeace deck and the Universal R-W are arriving soon (I don't like the colouring on the original R-W).

I shall stop rambling now.

Aerin

Maan

He tarolady_nl

I have the book by M Greer and it is real good. I agry with Aeonx that the 78 degrees of wisdom is the other must have on a tarot readers bookshelf.

And a big plus is that both books are available in Dutch!!!!
( ga eens bij "de Slechte" kijken;) )

Umbrae

Tarot Reversals

Kiama

Well, aswell as the others mentioned, I would highly recommend 'Living The Tarot' by Amber Jayanti.

Kiama

Sargon

You may wish to read 'The Tarot' by Paul Foster Case

Geenius at Wrok

tarotlady_nl said:
I was thinking about getting Tarot for Your Self by Mary K. Greer, because I've read a lot of good reviews about it from many different people.
That's because those of us who think it's awful have been holding our tongues.

I'll second Joan Bunning and Rachel Pollack, though.

wavebreaker

Re: Re: Book advice

Geenius at Wrok said:
That's because those of us who think it's awful have been holding our tongues.

I'll second Joan Bunning and Rachel Pollack, though.

That's a pity, because I would have liked to hear negative opinions as well.
I read your post in the thread about Mary Greer and somehow the book doesn't appeal to me as much now. But I've already ordered it, so I'll see for myself. :)