View Single Post
Citizen

Luminosa 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teheuti View Post
Although I'm sure Lévi was aware of the Kabbalistic connection to Fire, he stresses Shin as the Astral Light, which he also identifies with the Devil Card. It's all there in his text. The Astral Light is the key to his whole occult philosophy. We don't have to make up reasons for him.

There is a French occult deck that is undated but probably from the early 19th century, that has a High Priest card and a High Priestess card. But, there are only 21 cards total - the card numbered 15 and untitled is the Fool (with a lion biting his leg). I now wonder if the deck should be dated later and is meant to make clear the link among Lévi's Devil and Fool and the Astral Light?
I try to understand majors as if they were people and imagine how they would react if they really were. If I were the ignorant Fool what would I do to adequately take my life journey? I would uncover what is occult underneath the Hermit’s robes so that I would have the necessary tools to deal with the unknown (what is down there in the abyss). But why the Hermit? Because he is the wise man who went through 1-8 and completed a full cycle of knowledge with the help of the light in his hands (astral?). And what does the Hermit want? He wants to associate to people who would add to him: successful, famous, rich, daring, with guts to make a lot of achievements, with ability to fight for and keep what has been conquered, and that’s the Devil (Capricorn/Saturn/goat/Baphomet), so double astral lights (Hermit’s lamp) and Baphomet himself. If we consider this chain, the Fool perfectly connects to the Devil, via the Hermit.

As to the Fool untitled and numbered 15, with a lion biting his leg, it may be that this lion is showing the Fool/Devil connection to the Strength card. Strength is similar to the Devil in several ways: sensual, has got pretty knowledge of herself, no prejudices, domineering, possessive, jelous, aggressive, etc

I hope this point of view helps.

Lu
Top   #97