View Single Post
Citizen

MikeH 

Just a point of clarification. Huck wrote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I found "Baumgärtner" ... Etteilla's German connection.
http://www.freundeskreis-stadtarchiv...r_gotthelf.pdf

DDD notes p.13, that one of Etteilla's work was translated 1793. It was published in Leipzig by Baumgärtner and it contained the card-illustrations in hand-colored manner.

It looks to me, as if Baumgärtner had personal reasons to make just this project. He was 29 years in 1788, when he started a journey to Spain. He crossed France, likely twice. He came back 1789 and experimented. Etteilla died 1791 and Baumgärtner opened a book production 1792. Etteilla's work should have belonged to his first business operations (1793). Baumgärtner wrote himself, so his book producer and book merchant role should have been dedication. After 1806 he founded a playing card factory and 1819 a second in Berlin. He's given as a little strange ... but very successful.

The cards of Etteilla were given in the book as copperplate engravings and colored by hand. Similar technology he used for other books.

DDD assume a possible connection to Hisler (a German n Berlin), whom Etteilla called one of his best pupils.
First, the quote in DDD is on p. 113, not 13. This is of course merely a typo.

Second, people might have thought that the "cards of Etteilla" to which Huck refers might be a reference to the Petit Oracle des Dames, since that was the subject under discussion at that point. I am not charging Huck with misinformation, but just to be clear, DDD are quite specific about the "cards of Etteilla" to which Huck refers :
Quote:
the pictures exactly tally with the very first edition published by Etteilla, with no burst of light on card no. 1. These cards are certainly those which accompanied the 1793 Theoretischer und praktischer Unterricht über das Buch Thot.
Top   #224