Your Altar

Milfoil

What about growing it in a vine or red creeper which would change colour with the seasons? The craft (no pun intended) of making a wicker framework to train the plant around and the tending of the plant would make this living symbol quite wonderful.

Just a thought.

sharpchick

How creative. . . I could make a frame of sorts, perhaps of grapevine and tack it up, allowing a vine planted next spring to cling to it.

What a marvelous idea. . . I'll ponder on this one.

ravenest

sharpchick said:
Here's a photo of my garden altar, which faces east. You can't tell it in the photo, but directly over the altar is a clearing in the pine trees, which are 30' to 40' tall. When the moon is full, there is about a 20 minute period of time when a shaft of moonlight cascades down on the altar.

I like that, it reminds me of one here, although much larger (built for a festival) We put in wood uprights like your quarters but put large polished slabs of marble and granite on top (got them as off cuts from kitchen bench place - about $20 each).

I LOVE pine trees, the shape, noise, smell ! I can imagine looking up and seeing the moon thru the pine shadows.

ravenest

Milfoil said:
What about growing it in a vine or red creeper which would change colour with the seasons? The craft (no pun intended) of making a wicker framework to train the plant around and the tending of the plant would make this living symbol quite wonderful.

Just a thought.

A great thought!

The connection to nature, the colour in the rite, the natural incense of the bloom. I am imagining some amazing weaving of special shapes in that frame.

Several years ago in our large outdoor circle we made a central mound, this was devided into the four quarters and plants were planted with a flower the color of that elemental quarter. In the very centre was a raised flat part planted with lawn camomile and devided from the four quarters with upright river stones like a min-stonehenge.

Milfoil

All this has made me start to think more carefully about my own little outside space.

Hmmmm . . . ;)

AJ

Milfoil, do you still use your little slope desk as an altar? It is beautiful.

Milfoil

Yes, it has pride of place on my altar and holds all those special things which come to me. It can be taken with me if I need to and always reminds me of those first steps towards making the sacred visible in my home.

Bhavana

What is a little "slope" desk? I have a Queen Anne desk that has the wood front that drops down for writing on, behind it all the little slots and crevices, I guess for storing writing supplies...

Carla

This is my altar. :)

Attachments

• altar.JPG
    altar.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 147