Secrets of Lithomancy (stone or crystal divination)

KristyRex

More Than Divination...

I have been doing Lithomancy, and other drop stone divining methods for many years now.
And I think it's about time I spilled.

Ya see....for a long time, I didn't really share the details of this, because it was one of those cool rare skills, that I felt would set me apart from other readers at psychic fairs and such.

But because it is a realitively rare method...I have few people to throw ideas off of, or to spark any sort of innovation...or to grow.

And a stagnant method isn't really good at all!

So..I will begin here with one of the basic lithomancy patterns, and sets that I use. well, it's the main one actually.

And if anyone else has a method or questions, or other ideas to share...please do!

The woman who taught me had an unusual method of teaching. She would gather all the stones, drop them onto a piece of fur and then say..."well, what do you see?"
She did not use crystals, per say...but rather a collection of stones, some river rocks, some bones.

I started with her basic correspondances, added a pattern and a few other stones to make things easier for myself, and did a lot of it just by intuition.

Here are the stones I use:

The first sets represent duality and opposites.

MALE...a large phallic piece of what was probably a spoon handle, made from Mother of Pearl. The Male stone represents all the things that traditionally are male characteristics. Drive, determination, agression, risk taking, competitiveness, action, enthusiasm, dominance.

FEMALE...was found in the same button jar as the male...probably a spoon bowl, also from Mother of Pearl. It is round and tapered at one end. It represents those traits traditionally considered to be feminine....Nurturing, patience, reactive, passiveness, balance and feelings.

SUN...a sparkling cut lead crystal, the kind that you hang in a window to make rainbows. It is round, but with a cut edge, make it sort of sun shaped. The Sun represents leaders, and those outgoing, self confident traits.
It represents fame, and speaking, acting, inspiration, loyalty, willpower, strength.

MOON...I had phenominal luck to find a kind of shell called a cat's eye. It is round, has a subtle coloration, and a spiral on the back.It is so very moonlike. It represents annonymity, intuition, spirituality,emotion, rhythems, cycles, movements and changes.

JOY...is a wedge of dark purple amethyst, that has been tumbled. Joy is of course...joy! happiness, hope, laughter, mirth, luck and optimism

SORROW...is a smokey quartz crystal point, that is shaped a lot like the amethyst above. It represents pessimism, loss, misfortune and sadness.

I will have to continue this post tomorrow when I have more time to write it all out.... but right now, I need sleep.

I may even be able to post a photo of my stones.

....Next come the Sets....

You have such a well developed system, and it truly fascinates me. I admire your courage in sharing your techniques with the world. So far, I've only given rather vague descriptions on what I do. I'm finding it difficult to verbalize my methods for two reasons; one being that they are so personal and intuitively driven, that I've never actually thought of how to describe it. The second being my fear of people misinterpreting what I say. Here, in my hands, I have my very own personalized way of communication with our Great Mother, and I love using it to help others; but at the same time, how do you trust people with something so close to you as your way of life, when you've seen how the ways of others have been tainted?

I know I may sound a little dramatic here....well, really dramatic =] but I couldn't help myself. You can only hold something in for so long...

Chronata

I totally understand KristyRex!

The cool thing is that you don't really need to break it down and explain it...you only need to communicate the messages that they give at the time of the reading!

I am like that with some of my other oracles (like my coin oracle and my copper ingots)
They might mean completely different things from one client to the next!

KristyRex

I totally understand KristyRex!

The cool thing is that you don't really need to break it down and explain it...you only need to communicate the messages that they give at the time of the reading!

I am like that with some of my other oracles (like my coin oracle and my copper ingots)
They might mean completely different things from one client to the next!

Exactly! There are just some methods that are never truly set in stone. Those are the ones I favor, because they give more leeway regarding intuitivity.

linnie

wow - What a great thread and combination of philosophies and ideas. I will have to save this and read through it again.

I believe a lithomancy set is something you create and collect as you find stones you sense respond to your or you feel power from. If these are discovered all gifted all the better. It is a set that begins of slow but gradually builds and as it does it holds a greater meaning and connection to you.
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, A-C. I only just found this thread... I have long picked up pebbles, bones, sea urchin and echidna quills, cat's eye operculums,wonderful seedpods and etc because they individually say something to me... and I have received beautiful gifts of same, too... they certainly determine their association rather than me rationally considering it...

Yes to what you said, too, KristyRex :) I rely almost entirely on intuition, as it is stronger in myself than clear cut memory is :-O

Thank you all for reigniting my passion re this method of divination :) :heart:

ETA: Goodness, i only just glanced at the dates on these posts, but this is worthy of a bump anyway... :)

GotH

And thanks for bumping this linnie. I haven't read through the whole thread but so far this is like reading literary gold.

linnie

And thanks for bumping this linnie. I haven't read through the whole thread but so far this is like reading literary gold.
Yes, it's lovely to discover all but lost gems, literally speaking! :)

Mabell7398

I love this thread and felt like it needed bumped again. I needed to re read it for inspiration and thought it might inspire a new group of people.

linnie

Just bumping again because my stones are being very present lately... I realised I do little actual reading 'cast' stones... i tend to read each individual stone... it's lines and scratchings, its 'spirit', its texture... so i don't really do a 'reading', i do a 'listening' or a more focused 'reading' :D