Tarot of the Absurd - 18 - The Moon

GryffinSong

There are two Moon cards in this deck. The author suggests we can choose the one we prefer, but for now I've left both cards in my deck.

The first Moon card is very odd. Disturbing at first, but then deeper meanings came to me. I first saw it as a woman unhinging her mouth so that she could eat a sleeping child. I was repulsed, creeped out, and was absolutely certain that this card would live in the box.

But I couldn't stop thinking about it, and now I see it as a woman who "vomits" up her inner child, bringing it into the light.

I see this as exploring one's inner dreams, desires and fears. Of finding what's most important to us as individuals, so that we can live a life that's authentic for us. To not follow convention, but to listen to our own inner child, our own intuition, our own ethics, our own insights. She holds the inner child quite tenderly, respecting her experiences, whether positive or negative. Owning them, accepting that they happened, and dealing gently with the person she has become. Each of us must find our own voice, our own path, our own guiding light. And we must not be afraid to step into that light, to be vulnerable to our truth, to bravely face whatever life has for us.

This woman, whose simple necklace and dress implies a traditional life, has the courage to explore what it all means. She is barefoot, vulnerable to wherever this inner journey takes her.

---

The other Moon card is much more gentle seeming. At first glance, a child sleeps, curled up with a pair of dogs. The moon is full and smiling, also seemingly asleep. On second look, the "dogs" look like foxes. Is this a dream? A fairy tale? Will those foxes turn out to be "foxes in the hen house?" Or is the child truly as safe as it appears?

I haven't delved into this card yet, and hope that others will add their thoughts on both Moon cards. They certainly seem starkly different from each other.

Rhinemaiden

(my post below is copied from my post in the Tarot of the Absurd thread in Tarot Decks; yes, I'm stealing from myself... ;))

<<Last night I shuffled my new Tarot of the Absurd and asked what it wanted to say to me… one card draw. #18, the moon card (the one in the forest) there is such serenity in that card, a hooded creature curled up with foxes on a natural bridge over what appears to be a small stream, surrounded by bare branched trees with a sleeping moon overhead. In the lower left corner is a tiny crustacean. There is peace, tranquility, safety, security, protection wrapped up in this card. It's a "sleep well, sleep safely, all is well in the world" card. I feel peaceful, happy, secure, just looking at it.

I often hear music when I look at various tarot cards... for this card I hear Stephen Sondheim's "Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd....>>
------------------------------
regarding the other moon card in this deck, at first glance it seemed to me that the woman was "mooning" the moon... then I saw the child... I don't understand this moon card, unless it depicts the supposed insanity brought on by a full moon... who knows? I prefer the "forest" moon card...

Barefoot Fool

which Moon to use?

Pandan asked,

pandan49 said:
Do you leave both Moons in when you use the deck, or just leave in the one you prefer? Might be strange if a person got both Moons in the same spread.

Personally, I leave both Moons in and have never gotten both during a reading, possibly because I generally do readings with fewer cards. I couldn't make a decision as to which moon to keep in the deck in the first place and I still won't admit to the ways in which I deceive myself.

I suppose if I wanted a reading that was really brutally honest I would leave in the first Moon (mom consumes her child) & if I wanted a reading to comfort me I would leave in the second Moon (child in the wild).

It might be confusing with both in one reading, but not necessarily. I think they're different enough to be in there & simply tell two sides of the same story.

GryffinSong

That's so interesting that you describe the first moon as mom consuming her child. Had you ever considered my second interpretation of a woman bringing out her inner child? I'm fascinated by what our different interpretations can be!