Hellenistic Astrology

Ronia

The new sequence from Cancer runs for the rest of the Level 2 periods until a new major period begins with Aquarius. Delphic Oracle deals with it slightly differently. It declares this new Cancer period not only a Level 2 period but also a new Level 1 period, seeing out the remainder of what would have been the Capricorn period. Whilst the same subsequent L2, L3 and L4 periods occur in exactly the same order, the new L1 period has the effect of emphasising Cancer, as now you got married in a double Cancer period (L1 & L2). Loosing the Bond is something special, it creates important circumstances in your life - in this case marriage.

I'm sorry, I totally don't understand this. Is this about the past again? You told me once I was entering a Cancer major period in four years, is it this? I'm not sure if I understand all this "Loosing the bond" either. What exactly is called "Loosing the Bond"? Is it an event or else?

Minderwiz

Minderwiz, I'm not sure I get it since we are still at past events and I'm not sure about predictions but I took from your previous post my Lots of Marriage:

3 of the in Sagittarius
1 in Gemini
1 in Aries
1 in Libra

and I get the impression I should look at Jupiter, Mercury, Mars and Venus for possible romantic development. However, it seems a bit too much for me because chances are at least one of these planets will be in aspect to a natal related to romance/marriage, if not more. For example, Jupiter is now transiting my sixth whole house but it's my fifth in Placidus and I've felt it as fifith, so I'm not sure how much the whole house aplies... By the way, to answer your questions, the Jupiter period that started in 1998 didn't feel like 12 house at all and it was a good one, overall, there were setbacks and failures but overall it was good. Some of the happiest events in my life happened during this time. And no, I had no problem balancing career and personal life.[/quote

Yes I agree with your point about getting too many 'sensitive' points, so that one or other will be 'hit' almost continuously. It's the same issue as including more planets, asteroids, centaurs, etc/ The more you have the more likely it is that something will be 'hit'

I think that means that it will be necessary to reduce the number of 'allowable' points. Taking the ones you mentioned:

The three Sagittarius ones are:

4, 35, 39 (uses AC + Saturn - Venus day and night but no reversal for time of day
4, 35, 39 (uses AC + Saturn - Venus for day but does reverse for night.
23, 39, 16 (uses AC + Mars - Moon day and night.

The Aries one uses AC + Venus - Mars (reverses at night)

The Gemini one uses AC + Venus -Jupiter (reverses at night)

The Libra one uses AC + Moon - Sun (both day and night)

All of the use a masculine and feminine planet.

I would discount the Libra one to start with, as it will be either Fortune or Spirit, depending on whether you were born by day or night and I don't see any necessary connection here with marriage.

I'm also loathe to go with the one using Moon and Mars. Valens rationale is that Scorpio, Mars' nocutural sign is the Fall of the Moon - this is giving yourself to the point where you are taking a big risk of heartbreak. Joseph Crane sees it as Marriage as downfall. For the Marriage to be succesful the woman's Lot has to agree with her Lot of Fortune. (Which yours actually does).

That leaves the ones that use Venus. There are three pairings here, one with Saturn, one with Jupiter and one with Mars. Joseph Crane argues that the first one is a more formal, institutional version of marriage.

The Lot using Jupiter applies to both men and women and Crane argues it is more likely to be concerned with marital happiness.

The Lot using Venus and Mars, is arguably one wholly concerned with passion (though Crane argues that this would also be the case with the Libra Lot). This Lot only shows up in Firmicus. So again, I'd be tempted to put it to one side, unless that is how you feel the Lot should be.

Cranes general argument is that given the differing nature of the Lots of Marriage, we can tease out something of the nature of the relationships. The Sagittarius ones which I used, are geared to the institution of marriage and you have only had one of those relationships. You might argue that for less formal relationships one of the other Lots should be used.

Ronia said:
So... I noticed I am now in double Saturn - Capricorn and Aquarius, these are 1 and 2 house. Me and income. But it may be me and values which includes relationships. And my last romantic development happened in namely this double Saturn period and I see the end of August has been Leo (Saturn is in Leo and it was a very 8th house experience, smittening) and Virgo (not only the man is Virgo but Venus is there too and he is foreigner). I take this to mean that Saturn can also play a role which makes the whole story even more complicated. I'm currently in Cancer L3 and my natal Moon is aspected by transit by Mars, will be by Mercury and Venus but this happens every year two for Mars), again not sure how significant it could be.

I'm currently in Capricorn L4, to be replaced by Aquarius on March 10th, just a day before a New Moon in my 8/2nd house (Placidus). I'll play the lottery, juct in case. :) But romantically, I don't know how to predict. May be towards the end of the month, starting from 22nd when the L4 will be Taurus...

Yes you are in a double Saturn period as far as the Lot of Fortune goes. Personally I'm not sure that ZR from Fortune should work. Unless you see marriage/relationships as something that befall you from the outside world and that your only hope of a relationship comes from hoping an opportunity comes along. I think I'd prefer to use the Lot of Marriage, which is still in a Cancer period till into next year.

That keeps us to the Sagittarius, Lots (the ones using Venus and Saturn) but if you feel one of the others is a more appropriate one for you, then try Aries or Gemini as the start point.

My feeling would be that unless you want to distinguish between possible forms of relationship - from the institutional to just the passionate, you should keep to one of the Lot definitions.

I'm sorry, I totally don't understand this. Is this about the past again? You told me once I was entering a Cancer major period in four years, is it this? I'm not sure if I understand all this "Loosing the bond" either. What exactly is called "Loosing the Bond"? Is it an event or else?

Yes I used your marriage to test ZR and my feeling is that the Lot of Marriage worked better. Assuming you are looking for another formal arrangement then you can look to future periods based on releasing from Sagittarius.

I'm not surprised by your comment on Loosing the Bond. We only have the example from Valens and he does it but doesn't explain why he does it. Now he is clearly a practicing Astrologer, rather than a compiler of past works, so we know he used it.

The procedure doesn't arise in Jupiter or Venus periods, as these last 12 and 8 periods respectively but in all the other planetary periods it basically limits the sequence to 12 periods and then switches to a new series beginning in the opposite sign.

So if you have a Moon level 4 period, it would start from Cancer, and continue through 12 signs to Gemini. Instead of starting a second round from Cancer, the sequence would shift to Capricorn. Valens uses this for Level 2, 3 and 4 periods, but says nothing about doing it for Level 1 periods but he doesn't say you can't so most modern practitioners also use if for Level 1.

As it produces a clear break in the cycle, it's argued that something significant or special should occur around that break or during the coming period. So the Loosing of the bond at Level 3 in 2005, to Cancer, contains your marriage.

On the Cancer period I mentioned previously that's a Releasing from Spirit period beginning in 5 years time. The Lot of Spirit is concerned with how we try to influence the outside world and the main way we try to do that is through our actions - a tenth place activity. This has led modern practitioners to use Releasing from Spirit to identify changes in career.

Your point about finding something somewhere that could fit any situation crops up again. It's important that you focus on one or two Lots per topic area. That is you shouldn't see a Cancer Spirit period as meaning Romance, it is more likely to mean you taking action with other people, or if you are in a relationship, you and your partner setting up in business,

As Cancer is ruled by the Moon, there's also a connotation of the general populace, so this might be a real opportunity in PR. Incidentally before you get to it, there's a Loosing of the Bond in the current Gemini L1 period on your birthday in 2015. That switches to a Sagittarius L1/L2 and as you reported a good experience of a Sagittarius period that might be a good opportunity coming your way.

On that day Jupiter is transiting your ninth house and believe it or not it's the day of your Venus return, just one minute off at the time that the new period begins. That doesn't necessarily have romantic connotations, but Venus does rule your tenth House! So it will be interesting to see what happens then.

Minderwiz

I love your analysis!

I wonder, though, if it is possible to analyse a disclosed date, so I can have the chart in front of me to look at. I am extremely new to astrology, and I cannot follow a discussion without a graph. Just a thought...

Yes it is possible and that's what I was doing, with Ronia's Wedding. Some of the participants here have asked for their natal details not to be made public, which is why I haven't posted any charts in the thread (they already have a copy of their own chart).

I certainly agree with your point about it being a little easier to follow, as an 'outsider', if you have a chart to consult.

I'm willing to post a chart if I have the permission of the person concerned but I do not want to put anyone off participating by disclosing that which they don't want disclosing and I certainly won't do that without explicit and willing permission.

If you want to join in and are willing to have your chart posted, then I'd be happy to post charts for your readings at the various stages, without any prejudice to those who are already participating.

Minderwiz

Stage 3 Reading for Spiraling

I was wondering if I could have a career/life direction reading for my Stage 3, also.

I'll do this along the same lines as the one I did for Kalliope. For a full explanation of the rationale, have a look at the first part of her Stage 3 reading, but in summary it is predicated on the Ascendant/Descendant axis dividing the chart between the physical and the spiritual. The two key Lots involved ar the Lot of Fortune, which is concerned with the physical world, and therefore your body and its health, plus the external influences, which are outside your control, yet affect your life. The Lot of Spirit is more concerned with your mind, intellect and soul. It also indicates how well you can influence the world around you by your own actions. It's that part of life that is within your control.

You were born about 9 hours before the Full Moon. This puts both your Lot of Fortune and Lot of Spirit very near the Descendant' Fortune is in the Seventh House (where it conjoins Venus), which is ruled by Mars (Scorpio) and your Lot of Spirit is just in the sixth House ruled by Venus (Libra). At New Moon and Full Moon these two Lots are in exactly the same place, being on either your Ascendant or Descendant, respectively.

Mars as ruler of Fortune is sextile to it by sign (though there is a wide separation by degree) being in the fifth where it is under the Sun's beams. Venus conjunct the Lot is a sign of good fortune, though the extent of this is limited by the tight sextile from Saturn, in Capricorn. In an other sign, I'd say it reduced it considerably but I think here, it is a limitation rather than a removal. The balance will still be in the favour of positive luck, despite Venus being in its Detriment. Indeed the favourable outcome is more than likely because Jupiter trines Venus and Fortune, from Cancer.

The eleventh place or house from Fortune was called the Place of Accomplishment by Vettius Valens. In your case this is your natal fifth House (Virgo) and that of course contains the ruler of Fortune, Mars. It also contains your Sun and was the sign of your prenatal lunation (New Moon in Virgo).

According to Valens, the Sun here brings,

'gold, silver, jewellery, and very great property, as well as gifts from the great and from kings.'

But Mars'

'takes away what was gained and possessed, causing reductions,'

So we have two opposite effects. Mars is in its own Bounds and is therefore shielded from the Sun's rays, so again we have diminution. This might work out such that you have initial success but later lose some or all of your gains or you have initial losses but later make up these with gains. Looking at your Level 2 reading, none of your three periods are terrible and indeed the middle period is very good. So I'd guess that you do very well in the middle period but have some losses in the third but not serious losses - simply a diminution from the heights of the second period.

The ruler of Accomplishment is Mercury. Mercury is in your sixth place (Libra) and conjunct Spirit by sign. It's not configured to the Ascendant or Fortune or indeed to Accomplishment, so this might indicate some difficulties in achievement. Remember that the promise of achievement is there, so it means you have to work hard to get it.

There are two further Lots that Valens uses to see how distinguished and successful the nativity will be. These are the Lot of Exaltation and the Lot of Basis. The Lot of Exaltation is calculated by taking the Light of the Sect and measuring the distance to it's Exaltation and then projecting this from the Ascendant.

In your case the Light of the Sect, is the Moon and its Exaltation is at 3 degrees Taurus. At your birth is was half way through Pisces, so it had just sextiled its Exaltation. This puts the Lot in the Second House of the Chart, about half way through.

The second House is not a particularly strong House, being averse to the Ascendant, so it looks like you aren't going to be a major player in the world :(

For Day births, the calculation is fron the Sun to it's Exaltation at 19 Aries.

In general, if the Light of Sect is in its Exaltation, then the Lot of Exaltation is in your Ascendant and you have a great deal of promise Assuming that other placements support that promise it will materialise.

The Second Lot used is the Lot of Basis, which measures the shortest distance between the Lots of Fortune and Spirit and projects that from the Ascendant. For those born at or neat the New or Full Moon, it puts the Lot of Basis in the First House - which is where yours is.

Valens is not so muc concerned with where it lies in the chart but where its ruler lies, and how the rulers of Fortune, Spirit and Basis interact. In your case Mars rules both Fortune and Basis. Venus rules Spirit. but is in the place of the Lot of Fortune. This is the only interaction but it is a positive one.

It looks like you will be reasonably successful at what you will do. Not a soar away success, but a clear success nevertheless.

Mercury is in the Sign of the Lot of Spirit (Libra) and has a close square for Jupiter. Valens says,

'If Mercury is found in Daimon (Spirit), rising, and with benefics in aspect in the places of the Moon, the native will gain fortune from letters and education; he will have many friends and be renowned, be thought worthy of honours, gifts, and high rank, and will be called blessed by many. '

Well we have Mercury rising, though he is Retrograde, and there is Jupiter in aspect (though an awkward one) but Mercury is not in any dignity of the Moon. So I would take it that you will not get the high rank and the gifts or honours but you will do well from 'letters and education' . In general you should look towards a Mercury profession.

Your tenth place/house is ruled by Saturn (Aquarius). Saturn is in the ninth House (Capricorn) where it is dignified in it's own Sign. Saturn is in a tight sextile to Fortune and also in a square to Mercury (within three degrees), it also exaclty opposes Jupiter, ruler of the eleventh House of Good Spirit. This triangle of Jupiter/Saturn/Venus+Fortune is likely to be the key determining feature in your chart, as far as life purpose and career are concerned. This is likely to be particularly true because the Moon, the Light of Sect lies in the House of Good Spirit and is therefore ruled by Jupiter.

The Moon trines both Jupiter and Venus within her 13 degree orb and sextiles Saturn. Only one malefic is involved here, so I think the outcome is going to be well on the positive side but not wonderfully well.

Traditional Astrology used three planets to indicate career - Mars, Venus and Mercury. As your Place of Accomplishment is ruled by Mercury, that would be a major contender to use as your career base . The other contender would be Venus which is angular and conjunct Fortune.

Mercury careers have the nature of Mercury. They are concerned with writing and talking and hence communications and teaching. Through Virgo they have links to accounts. office organisation and management, banking and the Law (especially if aspected by Jupiter, which it is). Mercury is also connected to the Arts of Divination and Astrology in particular. In general, Mercury careers involve writing and giving and receiving (the latter would open up modern communications through TV and the Internet).

Venus rules occupations concerned with fashion, clothing, jewelery, entertainment, catering and food for leisure use, though I think that could be extended into commerical catering and function management. The wine trade, perfumes and through that, the beauty industry are Venus careers. If aspected by Saturn (which in your case it is) it could include selling jewellery and other items for personal adornment. Jupiter in aspect (which it is) opens up careers in the music industry. In general, Venus is connected to business and trading.

Mars has obvious connections with the military, with the police but also connections with surgery (with Mercury in aspect - which in your case it is not)., and also stone cutting and carving.

Which should you choose?

Rhetorius says that the operative houses are the Ascendant, MC, IC and the houses succedent to those (2nd, 11th and 5th) but also the Lot of Fortuen (in your case the Seventh) and indeed the sixth (which had associations with slavery and slaves did quite important functions and roles in subordinate positions)

All three planets of action and career are therefore operative and you can choose freely. My guess is that you would choose between Mercury and Venus. As Venus is the better positioned and conjunct Fortune, I'd say it edges the choice but remember, Mercury rules your Place of Accomplishiment, so if you feel more strongly drawn to those occupations then go for it.

daphne

Yes it is possible and that's what I was doing, with Ronia's Wedding. Some of the participants here have asked for their natal details not to be made public, which is why I haven't posted any charts in the thread (they already have a copy of their own chart).

I certainly agree with your point about it being a little easier to follow, as an 'outsider', if you have a chart to consult.

I'm willing to post a chart if I have the permission of the person concerned but I do not want to put anyone off participating by disclosing that which they don't want disclosing and I certainly won't do that without explicit and willing permission.

If you want to join in and are willing to have your chart posted, then I'd be happy to post charts for your readings at the various stages, without any prejudice to those who are already participating.

Of course you do not post any data without permission, I dont want to produce any prejudice. I am 100% with you here. I dont know my time birth, unfortunately. I am trying to learn astrology, maybe in time I will figure out somehow what is my ascendant and so I`ll know my planets in houses.

I am reading your thread and I find your words with knowledge and your enthusiasm delightful. I admire what you do. Thank you so much!

Minderwiz

I dont know my time birth, unfortunately. I am trying to learn astrology, maybe in time I will figure out somehow what is my ascendant and so I`ll know my planets in houses.

I am reading your thread and I find your words with knowledge and your enthusiasm delightful. I admire what you do. Thank you so much!

One of the things that I've seen argued is that Whole Sign houses are better for rectification, because all that really matters is getting the Ascending sign right. I must admit that I've not tried to do a rectification using it, but if you are willing I'll have a go, as it would help me test that theory.

If you've got any clues to the time that would help a lot. For example if you know you were born in the morning, or afternoon, of a relative remembers it was before breakfast

oddtarot

One of the things that I've seen argued is that Whole Sign houses are better for rectification, because all that really matters is getting the Ascending sign right. I must admit that I've not tried to do a rectification using it, but if you are willing I'll have a go, as it would help me test that theory.

Is the ascending sign the most important sign?

Minderwiz

Is the ascending sign the most important sign?

Yes by far the most important as without knowing it it is not possible to draw up a chart with any degree of accuracy. Indeed if it is completely unknown then any chart cast is of little real value. We would know the planetary positions, except for the Moon but we wouldn't know where they fall in terms of houses, nor would we know which are likely to be the most influential (for good or ill) because we would have no idea which were angular.

The usual 'solution' is to draw up a chart timed either for Sunrise, or Noon' as the 'best' approximation. though any reading from it is limited and a detailed reading is really out of the question. Indeed most professional Astrology bodies would frown on any member who claimed to make detailed descriptions and predictions based on such a chart.

There are techniques for trying to narrow down the time of birth, but they tend to work best when the area for error is small - an hour or two at most.

The argument for Whole Signs, here, is that even if you can't get the degree acurately, if you can get the sign right, the houses fall into place and therefore it's easier to read the chart.

Personally I'm not so sure but it's something I'd like to try out.

kalliope

Your birth is still a nocturnal one, even though I've assigned Ultimate Rulership to the Sun, because it's nearly rising and the Moon has set. Mars is the Nocturnal Trigon Lord for the Water Triplicity So he has a dignity in Pisces. Jupiter is in the Bounds of Mars, so there is a low level mutual reception. Of course both are in their own Signs as well, so both are well dignified.

I'm using the Dorothean Triplicities and the Egyptian Bounds or Terms, because all the Hellenistic Astrologers except Ptolemy, seemed to use those. Oddly because of a historical accident, it was Ptolemy's revised system that made it through into medieval Europe and hence to Lilly.

I was overlooking something, as I feared. I'd checked my dignities chart (a nice color version of the one from the Avelar & Ribeiro book - too bad their English website seems to be gone), and somehow didn't see that Mars was one of the Triplicity rulers for Pisces. I thought then that the Hellenistic dignities were different. Sorry! Thanks for setting me straight, though.

And I didn't know that about Ptolemy's system getting to Lilly through happenstance. The Zoller/Arab medievalists all use the Egyptian, too, don't they? So it's just the European medieval astrologers (who would be an example, if you know one off the top of your head?), Lilly, and of course Ptolemy himself who use his dignities? Not important, just curious.

Yes, the Lot of Fortune is not well placed so there's always as issue with spotting the opportunity or avoiding the risks. The first two parts of your life (the Jupiter and Solar periods) are likely to be reasonable but the last part (according to Valens) is the weaker part. I just drew the conclusion that that was the time during which you should be especially careful of risks, so that you don't do anything to make it a self fulfilling prediction.

Hopefully you're right that a mindful and cautious attitude will mitigate some of the potential problems for me in the last third of my life!

Annoyingly pernickety is alright (I'm a secret masochist LOL)

Seriously, this is the first time I've tried the methods and I don't have any experience to fallback on, so your feedback is most welcome.

I'm glad I haven't annoyed you with the detailed questions, then. :)

kalliope

Rather than reinvent the wheel, here's a link to Skyscript which has a convenient table in the article.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig3.html

Here's a link to a very interesting article covering the Trigons
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/triplicities.html

Thanks for these -- especially the article about the Trigon/Triplicities. I hadn't paid much attention to them before.

In essence this focuses attention on the signs and therefore the houses. The affairs of each day are derived from the house of the sign whose day it is. Aspects would relate to the sign ruler both natally and by transit. Similarly transits of the sign might well be important, and something not met in modern Astrology, if the sign/house is empty, it could still be transited by aspect. That means that even if you had no planets in Pisces, during the second month of the year, any transiting planet that cast an aspect into Pisces, could still have an impact. So if Saturn were transiting Virgo, it would cast it's opposition into Pisces, and the affairs of your fifth House would be affected by that aspect (during that month).

At any one time, you could have three houses affected, the annual one in which the profected Ascendant had move, the monthly one and even a daily one. Indeed As the rulers of those three houses would themselves be active, this could double the number of active houses, either by sign or by transit. It is something of a mistake to believe that the Hellenisitic Astrologers, only allowed one house to be active at any one time. But remember the transits would directly related to the house being considered.

The part about empty houses being able to accept transits by sign is very unusual! That's something fun I look forward to examining with my own chart.

Ah, Life, the Universe and Everything then - I think the answer is still 42 :D

I know, easy, right? But :laugh: at the 42...

I've just finished reading Chris Brennan's latest paper
http://www.hellenisticastrology.com/the-planetary-joys.pdf

In which he argues that the earliest Hellenistic Astrologers used the horizon as a dividing line between the soul/psyche/mind/spiritual dimension and the physical body/world/physical incarnation. The latter is associated with fortune - things that befall us the former is associated with our expression of who we are, our mind, spirit and intellect.

The connection between the two 'worlds' is the horizon, and that runs through the first Whole Sign House. Thus the first House brings together our mind and spirit and our body too. It's our whole self. Each 'world' has its own Lot. For the Earthly world (and Brennan tries to demonstrate that the houses from 2 to 6 are linked to the Earth through Triplicity) it is the Lot of Fortune and for the World of Mind/Intellect/Spirit (houses 12 to 8) it is the Lot of Spirit.

Wow, your summary of this is very interesting! I haven't read his paper yet, but I downloaded it, and the idea of the divide at the horizon between the Earth and the Mind/Spirit is pretty neat.

Your Lot of Fortune lies in Gemini, in the eighth Place - this was called 'Idle' by the early Hellenistic Astrologers because it does not connect to the Ascendant. It lies above the horizon in the world of 'Spirit' It's ruler is Mercury, who is in Scorpio - the first Place, or Ascendant. This is where Mercury is best - it's his 'Joy'.

Your Lot of Spirit is the reciprocal of the Lot of Fortune. That is for a night chart, it is
Ascendant + Moon - Sun

It goes from the out of sect Light to the in sect Light - the Light of the Time - it should therefore illuminate your mind and spirit. Your Lot of Spirit is placed in the fifth House. Although this is below the horizon, it is the House called 'Good Fortune' associated with Venus and it is in Pisces, her Exaltation and even better it is with Jupiter, it's ruler, who is in dignity. Jupiter is the planet that was associated with the eleventh Place, 'Good Spirit'. Both the Lot and Jupiter are in opposition to Good Spirit and the Lot of Spirit is square by sign to the Lot of Fortune.

There's something of a struggle here, which I think actually describes the question you asked - how do you express your soul and spirit, when it is not harmoniously placed, either with the hemisphere of the soul, and is in something of a conflict with the the Lot that expresses how things happen to you.

I find your description of the square between the Lots to be fascinating. I agree that it seems to summarize my trouble with these issues very accurately. So my life tends to unfold (LoF) in ways that cause obstacles (square and in wrong hemispheres) for what my mind or spirit would like to express (LoS). Huh!

The good thing, is that if you turned the chart so that Gemini was on the horizon, you'd see the Lot of Spirit in the midheaven. Spirit dominates Fortune.

The two rulers, Jupiter and Mercury are in Trine Ithough Mercury is with Mars). According to Firmicus, this trine makes you clever, talented, supported by keen intelligence and able to bring your activities to a favourable conclusion. You should earn advancement by merit and get reward. You might also learn the secrets of the stars (Mercury is the ruler of Astrology). Firmicus does qualify this by saying the trine must come from good houses, but the first and the fifth certainly qualify for that.

Well, I'm heartened that Spirit dominates Fortune, and that the rulers appear to be in a position to work for me. Especially considering some of the negatives outlined later on. I just need to try to get my Mercury working for me through to completion so that I can actually accomplish these things and not just think about them a lot...

Your problem is therefore not lack of ability but lack of a clear pupose to use that ability for.

Possible things that you could use your talents for:

The place of Good Fortune was originally associated with doing good works - that is in the physical world. So charity work might well be one option. This could be through administration/managerial roles (mentioned by Firmicus for the trine) or it could be through fundraising. Jupiter rules the second place, through Sagittarius. Remembering that Pisces is the tenth place from th Lot of Fortune, you could well make a career in a welfare related organisation

Charities are not the only means of doing good works but it's a start.

I have to admit, direct charity work isn't something I've seriously considered before, but I have always been drawn to the "helping professions." My degree is in psychology, and I'm considering going back to school for my masters in counseling. I think the same desire to help and counsel (others, in addition to myself) drives much of my interest in astrology and related esoteric subjects. I often fantasize about being a hybrid astrologer/counselor (secretly, though, since I'm married to a research scientist and live a land filled with hard-nosed academics in general!) I'm also very interested in holistic health/nutrition counseling, and get passionate about the educational system, too. I suppose these areas could be considered "good works."

The administrative work I've done has mostly been in higher education settings (universities), but perhaps I should think about expanding my options to other organizations: community outreach and counseling, educational reform, other charitable organizations, etc. This is definitely something to think on and brainstorm about.

Now returning to that trine - Mercury also rules the eleventh place 'Good Spirit' and Mercury is configured to the house by sextile. The eleventh came to be associated with friends, possibly because friends were seen as people who we contact at the level of the soul - true friends. It's also associated with 'hopes' You don't have any direct release for these, as there are no planets in the eleventh, so hopes must rest with Mercury and mercurial activities - your intellect and mind.

The tenth place is Leo, again there are no planets placed in it but its ruler the Sun is in the second place, and as such is trine to it. So just as Mercury tines Good Spirit, the Sun trines the House of Action - the Culminating Pivot. Whilst there are no planets in the tenth, there is the Lot of Eros = now that is the Lot of Venus and has connections to relationships - voluntary associations and friendships. In modern terms Voluntary Associations tend to be involved in 'good works' so we are back to that placement of the Lot of Spirit.

Which equation are you using for the Lot of Eros? I think my copy of Morinus has that file you gave us a while back with a few handfuls of defined Lots. That one shows my Lot of Eros at 28Aqu31, House 4 (AC+VE-R2). Do you have an updated Lots file with those you're currently using?

But basically, you're saying here that hopes and true friends won't be of much help through the house of Good Spirit, and the house of Action (MC) doesn't have direct support either, since I don't have any placements in those areas. Maybe Eros in the 10th points to some helpful relationships, but through Venus points back to the Lot of Spirit in the 5th, and therefore Good Works again.

The Last seemingly positive place in the World of the Spirit is the ninth House - the House of God. Yours is in Cancer, and contains Saturn in Detriment and Retrograde and is ruled by the Moon, which square Saturn. This is not a good aspect at all, and shows some risk to your health, possibly from overdoing things. Because it's above the horizon, the risk is probably to what we would now describe as your mental health - stress, depression, possibly fears or phobias. A good health regime, should keep them at bay and I would think the greatest risk would only occur if you moved abroad. Remember that the Moon is in the dominating position - put Saturn on the Ascendant, and the Moon would be tenth house - so the Moon should 'overcome' Saturn's influence. Also Jupiter from the Left and Mercury from the right cast their trines around Saturn, helping to insulate it from the Moon.

Once thing that would concern me, is that Venus rules the place of the 'Bad Spirit' this is the twelfth house and is the Joy of Saturn. Natal Venus is in the second place but under the beams of the Sun and is not at home in a Fire Sign. She is also in partile conjunction with the Lot of Nemesis (the Lot of Saturn). The negative side of Venus is rather like modern Neptune's connotations, or at least the less attractive connotations. I think that shows the outcome if you end up overdoing things and damage your health. It is not something you should ever treat as determined - it's a risk associated with not taking care of your health and the chart shows that you should be able to do just that. Indeed if you do it well, the risk will seem absurd.

Interestingly, I had lots of fears, phobias, and stress about my recent travel abroad! I'm glad that the Moon appears to have some control over Saturn here. Would the Moon's placement in the 6th house of Health/Illness have any relevance here? As I mentioned above, I'm very interested in health and wellness, am concerned about avoiding poor health, and actually spend a lot of my spare time reading in that area. Especially how our choices surrounding food and habits can affect our health, and how we can exert more control over our health than conventional medicine suggests, especially over time. I'm always experimenting with our diet to find our optimum feelings of wellness (from veganism to primal to "traditional foods" over the years.) I've also come to realize that I'm secretly more anxious than I ever thought, and that regular exercise, mindfulness, and yoga are really helpful. Perhaps I've always subconsciously known that a lot of my attention needs to go here in order to avoid problems down the road.

Spiritually you have real potential to do positive things in the world, if you are motivated. You can do that through career, or through some form of voluntary work. Given that Spirit is ruled by Jupiter, you may well be tempted to overdo things, with a consequent risk to your health. So a good healthy regime should offset those those risks but don't lose sight of it. The Mercury/Jupiter trine offers much and the possibility to 'make a difference'. Mercury rules your Lot of Fortune, and in turn your health - make sure Mercury is not overwhelmed by Jupiter (it should not be, as Jupiter lies to its right and it is in the dominating position) and you manage your involvement in whatever you choose to do.

I'm not sure whether any of that comes near the mark or is useful but you did ask :)

Well, I hope that your prognosis for successfully "making a difference" is correct! It reinforces my general interest areas, and you've also given me some additional avenues to explore. I realize these were big questions, but you tackled them well, thank you!

Since the end of last week, one of my wife's relatives has been hospitalised with a suspected minor stroke. She's now well on the road to recovery but we are still visiting and that is eating into my time for readings.

I'll carry on as best I can but I can't promised any quick progress at the moment.

I hope your wife's relative is doing better, and also that you don't feel any pressure from us. Take your time. The thread (and all of us) will still be here later!