The bonefire has landed

wooden-eye

Shadowdancer,
.......I am deeply honored. To see Bonefire like this; displayed. You have made me cry. I have read your words perhaps 10 times and find no reason to berate myself...Such a relief, and a recognition the deck is now free of me in every way and deserved of a fresh and varied existence.
Thank you, give my regards to Bonefire and l wish you well together.xx

strings of life

I can't wait for this to arrive. My most expected Tarot purchase of the summer :).

shadowdancer

Shadowdancer,
.......I am deeply honored. To see Bonefire like this; displayed. You have made me cry. I have read your words perhaps 10 times and find no reason to berate myself...Such a relief, and a recognition the deck is now free of me in every way and deserved of a fresh and varied existence.
Thank you, give my regards to Bonefire and l wish you well together.xx

bless you and thank you for that. But thank YOU for creating a deck which I believe is pretty awesome. My dad is an artist (very different style) but it has led me to respect and appreciate the work that goes into painted decks such as these. The style you have just oozes energy. Good vibes.

shadowdancer

Was not called in for work today so spent some time with the deck. The deck leads more to a sense of feeling, and it is hard to explain how. Usually I am very visual. I see something and can dive in and visualise a story. Not so with this deck. I may find I work on a different sensory level, one I am not really used to.

Top 10 favs so far part 1:

Queen of swords - Love how you get the idea she has a gentle side and may be the mistress of tough love. That sword looks a bit scarey but the dove still feels safe approaching her.

Judgement - time is a-ticking here. Are you going to face up to what you have done in your life and the affect you have had on others? Is what others are seeing the real you?
This card has a bit of hard hitting raw edge, and I like how it is not linked to any Biblical portrayal of Judgement and answering a calling etc.

The Devil - The gentle and seductive embrace. How it makes us feel safe and gives the impression of loving us. You need to see this next to the Lovers card to see the difference and realise it is illusion, but I love the look of resignation and defeat on the face of the girl. As if she knows she may have reached the point of having relinquished any sense of control. To have both sides shown so clearly in one image makes this one of the most powerful in the deck IMO.

6 of Swords - I like how on this image she is in control of how and where she moves on. Yet you sense it has been far from straight forward, and the waters are still muddied. Are the balloons lifting the swords away or are they still hovering? Ohh.... who knows, but the vulnerability of the character shines through.

Page of Cups - you just know emotions are still likely to be exploding and goin in every direction possible with this youngster. Her heart is very much on show. What you see is what you get when she gets emotional. I like how this card shows how this page will be, and in very real terms. Anyone with a hormonal teenager will get it, as opposed to how they are often depicted in more traditional decks.

Part 2 to follow.

Attachments

• swords queen bonefire.jpg
    swords queen bonefire.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 189
  • bonefire judgement.jpg
    bonefire judgement.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 181
  • devil bonefire.jpg
    devil bonefire.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 181
  • bonefire swords 6.jpg
    bonefire swords 6.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 176
  • bonefire cups page.jpg
    bonefire cups page.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 179

shadowdancer

Part 2 of my favs from the Bonefire.

4 of swords - The presence of one shoe grabbed my attention. Either she is not quite as relaxed as she could be, or she is ready to leap into action should the need arise. Adds a nice touch to the idea of taking a time out.

3 of wands - Like the idea of comparing a map to what is really in front of you. What do you do if they are markedly different?

Page of swords - Another court card that you get the 'feel' of, as opposed to read through visual presentation alone. Again you sense the lack of real control you would associate with the page. She seems to be flying higher than the kites and is not looking too comfortable with that. A great sense of thoughts and ideas needing to be grounded a little.

10 of swords - a regular depiction, but what can you make of the vultures gathering. May add a nice angle to consider in a reading if you actually focus on the birds for the interpretation. This isn't massively different to some depictions, but I think it has subconscious layers. For example, I had the "how the mighty have fallen" saying come to mind when I saw how muscular and strong that guy looked.

9 of cups - Again a semblence of a recognisable scene when compared to RWS but you get more of a feeling of self isolation here. I tend to read this card more often than not as being happy in their own skin without the need to have someone else in their life to make them feel fulfilled. However, the skull is giving me more food for thought. That it may lead to a sense of being unfulfilled or empty on occasion, particularly on a mental level. Again, nothing really earth shattering but when I look at this card I feel a shift in what I usually see.

I hope others see something in this deck that may cause them to give it due consideration. Gabi has created something with this deck that I am finding hard to explain. Yes - me who is usually the master of 500 words when 50 will suffice :D :D It is certainly going to stretch me to work in a different way other than straight forward visual springboarding. It has a raw edge to it, mainly because of the style of artwork which I find refreshing.

Attachments

• bonefire swords 4.jpg
    bonefire swords 4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 158
  • bonefire wands 3.jpg
    bonefire wands 3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 162
  • swords page bonefire.jpg
    swords page bonefire.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 165
  • bonefire swords 10.jpg
    bonefire swords 10.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 155
  • bonefire cups 9.jpg
    bonefire cups 9.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 165

Nina*

Why have I never even HEARD of this deck before?

It looks fabulous!!! Where can I see/read more please and where can it be ordered?

xxx

shadowdancer

Nina, you can contact wooden-eye via PM to arrange a purchase. There is some info in the creation forum about this deck, and this thread here. It is a wee gem

Davina

SarahJoy

9 of cups - Again a semblence of a recognisable scene when compared to RWS but you get more of a feeling of self isolation here. I tend to read this card more often than not as being happy in their own skin without the need to have someone else in their life to make them feel fulfilled. However, the skull is giving me more food for thought. That it may lead to a sense of being unfulfilled or empty on occasion, particularly on a mental level. Again, nothing really earth shattering but when I look at this card I feel a shift in what I usually see.

Thank you for posting scans and your reactions, especially of this card. I already know it's going to be one of my favorites, too.

I was absolutely delighted to see the 9 of Cups; I love vanitas paintings*. wooden-eye's decision to depict a Vanitas for this card is an interesting choice that definitely approaches the traditional RWS meaning from a new perspective. It certainly changes how I'll see this card in relation to other cards in the deck. Death immediately comes to mind.

Now I'm even more excited for my copy to arrive! I'm trying to be patient as it travels 'round the world.

* Vanitas paintings are still life paintings that reached the height of their popularity in the Netherlands in the 17th century. Each of the objects chosen for the still life represented the fragility and ephemeral nature of life and earthly pleasures. All of the objects in the Bonefire 9 of Cups are traditional Vanitas objects.

wooden-eye

Shadowdancer,
Thank you for your reactions to the cards, It beyond fascinating for me to read them and then read them again. Also I am extremely happy that you have picked up almost my exact interpretations of the cards. And you say it so much more succinctly than I can.
For as long as I have been painting, speaking about my work has been almost impossible for me, I become quickly tongue- tied, this is not a great thing for a person to make a living from their art, yet one of the main reasons I was drawn to symbolism and allegory and then to Tarot was the means by which I could express myself visually. It is not that I am an introvert, I most certainly am not, but not a self promotor.
The images for the cards I have made pretty much all came to me in an instant, I researched the cards, wrote copious notes and then settled back an waited; sometimes for a while and I got a bit frustrated and moved on to another card, but more often the image was conjoured in my head, the elements swirled into place , I sometimes use my hands to physically move (them like in that movie Minority report where The Tom cruise character moves pictures of suspects and victims around on an visible screen). The sketch was them made and the painting after. I feel some of my favourite cards evolved when this was firing really well for me.
Some cards, particularly the faces are real people who I know or have experienced and I feel embody the essence I have from the card. many are amazing characters and I hope to somehow bring their actual life force in to the deck in some way. I do not how ever really want to name check them as that is not really relevant or helpful in a reading, But then I am in intuitive reader, perhaps others would feel differently about this.
Sarahjoy, thank you so much. For the Vanitas explanation, again you said it so well. there is so much I could say about the deck, it really could use a book, but I am not sure that I have the strength of the skills to write it. I realise this sounds like a cop out, but I do really need to paint and read Tarot, not write, I wrote a terrible novel a couple of years ago and it damned nearly killed me.
At the moment I just wish the flaming post would hurry up and deliver more Bonefires around the world, It seems to be taking so long that I feel like I have posted them all wrong or something and they will never turn up.
patience....

MoonGypsy

At the moment I just wish the flaming post would hurry up and deliver more Bonefires around the world, It seems to be taking so long that I feel like I have posted them all wrong or something and they will never turn up.
patience....

No worries, dear Gabi! :love: i am sure more will start arriving next week...
It can take quite a while, sometimes...especially overseas.
i will certainly let you know ASAP when mine has arrived. :love:

Hugs and Blessings,
MoonGypsy xox