Hellenistic Astrology

Ronia

There's rarely anything we do that is not in part dependent on outside circumstances, even it's crossing the road or getting out of bed (preferably the latter before the former :) ) However I think what is important is the initiating of the 'event'. If you apply for a job there's someone out there who either interviews you or reads your CV/application and decides whether you've got it. However it's you who start the process rolling by deciding to apply, filling out the application and selling yourself to the appointment panel/person. That's primarily a matter for Spirit and I think we use it rather than Fortune.

If on the other hand you are head hunted by a company who have heard about you and offer you the job, then it's Fortune.

In this case you have initiated the move and it's you doing the negotiations and planning.

I get it now, Minderwiz, thank you for the explanation! I'll keep working on the move and accommodation. :) Something must come my way! I'll release from Spirit to see how things will be going.

So, it's a Gemini L1 and Pisces L2... Interesting, because by progressions I'm already having a trine between Mercury and Jupiter, they are in the same degree. More so Mercury is in the 9th progressed house. Definitely a pattern.

By the way, is always the Loose of bong bringing something that is felt as an event? I keep my eye on the dates when there is a Loose of Bond but honestly, not much to report...

LOLOLOL

Moon and Mercury are the two most changeable planets and they seem to dominate here with support from Venus. It's a good job you have Saturn as an Ascendant ruler or you'd board a plane for Canada and end up in Australia :) :)

That would be very much me indeed. More so, I'd gladly embrace the new land, unexplored and unseen yet. :D Saturn is my anchor, thankfully. LOL

PS

As with all things, just because the 'stars' indicate a successful outcome, it doesn't mean that you sit back and let it happen - so it's good to see you doing that negotiating and I'm sure that wandering Mercury won't let you down. :)

Sure, I'm applying for accommodation every day, persistently and stubbornly. Saturn speaking. :D

One more question: where do I release from in terms of relationships? LOve, romance, such stuff? :D

Ronia

To predict you'd be pushing your profections forward in time and looking for likely active periods - that seems to be periods which are related to Cancer (your seventh), Gemini and Virgo (Lot of Marriage and Venus) (Scorpio and Aries- natal Mars in the seventh) and possibly Taurus (your natal fifth house) In all cases you would be looking for supporting transits.

I've been also following the Profections, sadly without any result regardless the supporting transits, so I'm not very sure they work, to be honest. Anyways, I'm finishing a Virgo month today, I hoped it would activate Venus as romance, more so she transited my 7th house, thus aspecting Mars and Sun, etc. On the 22nd which was a Scorpio day, Mars activated, I got an invitation, one that I didn't want, so in terms of development - there was some, not the one I wanted. That was all.

I'm starting a Libra month tomorrow. Based on the Lots analyses, not the most romantic period but Libra contains natal Mercury while he is browsing my 7th house forth and back now. We'll see how it will play out, if at all. Of course, Jupiter also entered my 7th and in the natal he is opposing Mercury while by progressions they are alredy trining each other. (on top of that my progressed Asc is Pisces and both Neptune and Jupiter are aspected by progressions; if I take Jupiter as Asc ruler then I have a trine between the rulers of the 1st and 7th :D in addition to a progressed applying trine between Venus and Mars)

Marius Cojoc

Greetings to all,

I have found two distinct sources with the description of the Oikodespotes. The two sources are Firmicus Maternus and Rhetorius the Egyptian. It's more than certain that both are referring to the same ruler of the chart (Oikodespotes) but it's also certain, that they use different techniques to find it.

Firmicus give us a description of how the native should look like if Mercury is the Oikodespotes of the chart: "28.Mercury as ruler of the chart makes the body of medium size and graceful, the face slender and pale, the eyes truly beautiful. The natives take little food and drink and gain their whole livelihood from literature; because of their writing or their learned speech they are chosen ambassadors.".

Now, if we search Saturn, the description as Oikodespotes goes like this: "These men are of moderate size, pale, sluggish; they will have stomach trouble and vomit easily, be attacked by malignant humors, and constantly a prey to internal pains. They will be malevolent, anxious, hard-working, troubled in mind; always making a living in connection with water."

I'm not quoting Rethorius for the moment. Both description are linked to proffesion. It's seems that mercurial issues are more similar with Obama surroundings. Obama is a former lawyer, civil right activist and was elected president of US through his political democratic faction. I think that Obama eyes are indeed beautiful.

Reading Firmicus, I also think that I find an important key. Firmicus tell us what could bring the Sun in conjunction with the Oikodespotes. This is a very important issue that Firmicus bother to tell us. I'm not gonna quote what Firmicus is saying but for me it will be marked as a new thread.

I found some concrete information with the aid of circumambulation through bounds, firadria and zodiacal aphesis. I shall present them when I should have more time available.

It's not yet a 180 degree twist, but I found solid arguments that favors the Moon as Epikratetor, but for this to happen, we must take a single line (author) to folow. The co-mixture of knowledge will not bring much help.

Ronia

Minderwiz, probably you're enjoying a beach somewhere but in any case I, being stubborn with Aphesis and profections LOL, wanted to ask: I'm in a Saggitarius month activating natal Jupiter. He is natally opposing Mercury + by transit he is applying for a square + by progressions they are in a trine already. Is this enough to take the profection into consideration?

Minderwiz

Minderwiz, probably you're enjoying a beach somewhere but in any case I, being stubborn with Aphesis and profections LOL, wanted to ask: I'm in a Saggitarius month activating natal Jupiter. He is natally opposing Mercury + by transit he is applying for a square + by progressions they are in a trine already. Is this enough to take the profection into consideration?

Sorry for the delay - we've just been helping our daughter and son-in-law move back into their refurbished home.

Yes I'd think that should be enough to taken the profection into consideration :)

Ronia

Sorry for the delay - we've just been helping our daughter and son-in-law move back into their refurbished home.

Yes I'd think that should be enough to taken the profection into consideration :)

OK, thank you. :)

Minderwiz

I've let this topic slide over the last couple of months, but Chris Brennan has just posted a 13 hour (YES 13 HOURS) lecture on the course home page. I've just worked through the first 25 of 132 slides and I'm already beginning to get a clearer picture.

So when I've finished the full Monty, I'll come back and revisit a couple of charts just to test whether I've absorbed any of the more detailed material :)

Ronia

I've let this topic slide over the last couple of months, but Chris Brennan has just posted a 13 hour (YES 13 HOURS) lecture on the course home page. I've just worked through the first 25 of 132 slides and I'm already beginning to get a clearer picture.

So when I've finished the full Monty, I'll come back and revisit a couple of charts just to test whether I've absorbed any of the more detailed material :)

That sounds nice! There were some topics causing quite a bit of discussion, I think. I haven't found the answers for myself yet, although I've read this thread about four times already.

Minderwiz

Tecchnical issues :(

I'm going to have to rearrange my plan a little. The previous lectures were flash based powerpoint presentations, so Icpould use my Galaxy S4 phone and Nexus 7 tablet as well as the laptop. That meant Icould study in a variety of environments and my wife could use the laptop when she wanted.

For some time there's been a slow exit from flash, so my Android browsers no longer support it and now Chris has switched to Adobe Presenterbut his version seems too old for the latest Android and iPad Adobe Presenter apps. Which effectively means that I'm about halfway through the new materialrather than having completed it.

So I'm going to restart here by going over some of the established concepts but adding in some of the new material in the process. I'll also use a couple of the existing charts for illustration where necessary.

That should enable me toset the foundations for a later revision of some of the chart analysis. So I'll start that fairly quickly, when I get back to the laptop :)

Minderwiz

Some Preliminaries

Hellenistic Astrology has three branches:

Universal, that is concerning large groups of peopl, This might refer to their traditional political unit was the city state, such as Athens or Sparta. The Greeks referred to a city state as a Polis - from which we get out derivative words such as political and police. Universal Astrology could be appied to other groupings, such as the egyptians or babylonians or persians. This form of Astrology was directly borrowed from the babylonian omen Astrology but was modified by the Greeks. As it was borrowed before the inception of the horoscopic chart, I don't think that the Hellenistic Astrologers would use it in the same way as we use Mundane Astrology today. Universal Astrology also covered natural Astrology such as predicting the weather or the annual flood of the Nile.

Natal Astrology - this is clearly the type that we've been dealing with up to now, and no doubt will continue in this thread, so I'm not saying any more about it at this stage.

Katarchic Astrology - this is concerned with events and their outcomes. It can be used to examine events that have already happened - just as we do today and it can be used to choose or elect propitious times to carry out certain work or tasks. I've not looked at Katarchic Astrology in this thread, yet. It is something that I intend to do. having arranged with my daughter to buy me the text by Hephaistio of Thebes, as a Christmas present :) So it's likely to come after Christmas in the main LOL

The fourth branch of Astrology that I practice on this site is Horary. There's some debate as to whether Horary existed in Hellenistic times but the dominant answer at the moment is that it did not and it's probably an eighth century development by the persians.

The next thing I want to mention here is the use of Greek terms. I deliberately left them out of the early part of this thread because I didn't want to confuse people too much. It's bad enough introducing ideas which seem alien to modern astrologers without changing all the accepted technical terms. Robert Schmidt who I referred to earlier on and whose approach I tried to use does not use modern terminilogy in his translations. So for example instead of Mercury, he refers to the direct translation, the star of Hermes. Instead of the Sun and the Moon there's Helios and Selene. I'm thinking about that but I'm not sure yet. Exactly the same issue comes up with the Signs. Do I refer to Aries or to the Ram?

However there are some terms which I think I really do need to adopt. The term 'Sign' has replaced the Greek word that translates as 'house' So when a Hellenistic Astrologer refers to the House of the Star of Ares, he's not referring to something like Mars ruling the fifth house. What he means is either the modern sign of Aries or the modern sign of Scorpio - that is the sign of the zodiac that Mars rules. Chris Brennan suggests substituting the word 'domicile' instead of house, so one of the domiciles of Mars is Scorpio. I'm used to this way of referring to signs because it's terminology that Lilly uses from time to time. So from now on I'll use 'domicile' instead of 'sign'.

The 12 houses of modern and indeed medieval Astrology were referred to as 'topos' or place. It's the Greek word from which we derive the English words 'topic' and 'topical' and that's important. The Hellenistic houses were used to examine the 'topics' in a person's life, such as relationships or children or career. So I'll start to use the word 'place' instead of 'house'.

Lastly on terminology, one thing that threw me about Schmidt's work was the use of terms such as 'goaded' when examining the fitness of a planet. It's one of the translations of the Greek word Kentron, which also translates as 'pivot'. The word kentron is used to describe a 'place' that we would term angular - first, fourth, seventh tenth 'place'. the translation of kentron as 'goad' is in the sense of a cattle prod or prodding something or someone with a stick in order to get them to do something. So Angular houses are both pivotal - the direction of celestial rotation changes at them, but also planets there are impelled to act. I think that connection with action is one a modern astrologer would recognise but perhaps the would not realise it derives from the word used to descibe an angular house - it's been essential property from the start.

The seven traditional planets were descibed as 'planetes asteres' (literally wandering stars). There seems to have been debate from fairly early on as to whether planets were 'signs' in the sense of simply signifying something or causes ', a much stronger association of planet with event. I've seen a lot of scientists criticise Astrology by saying that it's preposterous that a planet through its actions can cause something to happen. You need to realise that whilst Ptolemy did talk in those terms many of the other did not. For Valens the planets are significators or 'omens' of the event or nativity. There's no causal relationship whatsoever, except that they both might share a common cause, the will of God.

The last point I'll make in this post is about the zodiac used. There's quite a bit of debate about whether the Hellenistic Astrologers used the tropical zodiac based on the seasons (as used in modern Western Astrology) or the Sidereal Zodiac based on the position of fixed stars, as is the case in Jyotish (or Vedic Astrology). These are important distinctions because of the phenomenon of precession - if you consult an Astrologer who uses Jyotish, he's tell you that the Sun is currently in the sign of Scorpio, not Sagittarius. The difference is about 24 degrees offset - i'e. only the last six degrees of the tropical sign of Scorpio is in the sidereal sign of Scorpio (where it forms the first six degrees).

The Hellenistic Astrologers were aware of precession but 2,000 years ago the two zodiacs were virtually in synch, that is tropical Scorpio and sidereal Scorpio were largely co-incident. Therefore to them it was not a problem that they needed to deal with. However their descriptions of the zodiac 'domiciles' used both tropical and sidereal references. They clearly did use the quadruplicities/modalities of Tropical (Cardinal). Solid (Fixed) and Double bodies (Mutable) to describe the domiciles. That division only makes sense in the context of reference to the Tropical Zodiac (incidentally the word Tropical comes from the Greek Tropos meaning a turning point - the Tropical domiciles were where the season turned from one to another.

However they also refer to fixed stars or constellations in the domiciles and can give those significance. That's clearly a sidereal reference. Earlier this week I did a horary reading in which the fixed star Castor came into use - for the siderea zodiac it's in Gemini, as I think most of you know. However in the Tropical zodiac it lies in Cancer. An Astrologer might want to use that link betwen one of the Gemini Twins and the sign of Gemini - whilst it can be done using the tropical zodiac the double emphasis on Gemini (pardon the play on words) is lost and the interpretation of Castor and Cancer just doesn't have that certainty to it.

It was Ptolemy who started the trend towards the Tropical Zodiac becoming the Western norm but it's not clear how widely he was followed until the issue of precession really became important after the Hellenistic period.