Rune Study: Kenaz

Kiama

Malachite said:
I can see this rune as the fire of freyja, but i've never found room for that in an interpretation anywhere.

I suppose it all depends on how you view sexuality, creativity, and healing... For me, the three are practically symbiotic!

Kiama *Still getting her head round the Boil thing....*

Malachite

Kiama...

Thats boil as in hot water, not as in A Boil...

I hope...

Kiama

Malachite said:
Kiama...

Thats boil as in hot water, not as in A Boil...

I hope...

I think its a boil, as in 'sore', swelling, etc....

Kiama

Umbrae

Boil

as in festering sore (ugh, gross).

MystiqueMoonlight

I thought in conjunction with this study group I would begin to draw a single rune for each day and as Umbrae suggested keep my runes with me as often as possible.

Yesterday (8/6/02) I drew this rune, I call Kano, in the upright position. I am a little confused about your interpretations of it though. I interpret it as opening up, new beginnings, a protection sign indicating an upcoming respite from worries, a time of good things to come, a birth of new ideas.

Anyway I started a new contract with a business two weeks ago and have been concerned that the contractor would not pay me when I provided my invoice to him which was due yesterday. Well he asked for my invoice yesterday and paid me on the spot, no problems. Thus my concerns about this were over and I now feel comfortable that our partnership is secure. We also discussed my starting a school at the studio and developing some ideas for the christmas holidays.

Later that day a person called me to express her interest in being a contractor with my business. So I took her to dinner and we discussed this further....

Any comments here would be nice.

Umbrae

Kenaz is about new beginnings, sort of…
Think of it in this light; I discussed earlier how it had to do with breaking things down to their component parts, figuring them out, putting them back together and making them work.
This is applicable in art (think of theatre, acting, making a scene work [What was Richard of Gloucester really discussing in his opening monologue?]), technology (what makes this clock tick, why does it not?), and human relationships (management issues and motivating others).
I personally think of it as digging beneath the malarkey, finding the root issues, bringing them to the surface, and making them work. Revealing the refuse, and discarding it.
In a reading, you will be looking at the adjacent runes to determine what it is directed towards.
You obviously dug through the Bovine fecal material with this person, and displayed what was needed for a continued working enterprise.

MystiqueMoonlight

Umbrae,

To further explain this day...I am a freelance makeup artist and the contract is at a photographic studio which is still in it's embrionic stage. I was cautious with regards to payment of my services because I thought I would get the old excuse that business needed to "pick up" a little more. The previous makeup artist apparently wasn't any good according to the photographer and he needed my help to not only perform well but to escalate business. Over the past two weeks I have been out and about motivating the promotional staff to bring in more business and we have had a good stream of clientele.

I see what you mean....

Thank you :)

Rhiannon

LOL I thought this was too funny not to share! I drew this rune at the end of the day (I forgot this morning) and this is what I have done today: Raked all the leaves out of my front yard, cleaned and totally reorganized my kitchen. We're talking emptying cabinets, throwing things away and redoing the whole sha-bang. :D

Funny thing happened: I pulled 2 runes from my little bag (they both ended up between my fingers, so I figured there was a reason for it, I didn't pull 2 on purpose). The rune that came out with this was was Eihwaz. I'm just wondering if anyone can see how these 2 fit together?

R :)

Umbrae

Yeah…it’s about death and rebirth – a new Greenman for a new year – and a cleaning out of the rubbish to make way for the new (and a clean house to boot).

einhverfr

Kenaz analysis

The Old Norse term for boil (generally associated with the equivalent rune in the Younger Futhark) is Kaun (derived from Proto-Germanic *Kaunaz (meaning a sore or boil). *Kenaz (from which we get the derivative mentioned in the OERP) means torch. It is certainly possible that both roots were associated with this rune in the Elder Futhark.. Current convention, however, is to refer to the rune by the root of the rune name in the Old English Futhorc because it is generally assumed that this system represented an expansion of the Elder Futhark and might preserve more of the original structure when compared to the Younger Futhark. Personally I find very little evidence of this assumption's validity, however.

I have generally associated carbuncles/red garnets with this rune because cut en cabochon, they visually resemble a sore, and when facetted, they display particularly well by firelight (in the middle ages, they were thought to contain hidden embers, hence the name carbuncle). However this is somewhat subjective, and should not be taken as traditional.

I think the association between an infected sore or boil and a torch exists because both have a burning appearance and appear to generate warmth or heat. There is also a lightening effect of grief mentioned in the ONRR.

The ONRR is downright pessimistic about this rune. As always you have two images: children dying of sores, and people becoming pale with grief.

The OIRP presents three images of an ulcerous sore: That of children dying of them. The painful spots that they manifest, and the abode of mortification (perhaps the open barrow alluded to above by others in this thread).

The OERP presents the image of torches lighting a hall.

Now, the Younger Futhark has no direct equivalent to Elhaz/Algiz. The lore of this rune seems to have been divided among As (from Anzuz for sovereingty aspects), Kaun (from Kenaz for the effect on children), and Mannaz (battle aspects). So I am inclined to focus instead on this rune as the burning rune and largely disregard the "fatal to children" images (better seen under Elhaz/Algiz). If people ask I will write more in why I make this case. But it distracts too much from this discussion to put it inline.

So instead, I would argue that you have two aspects: The burning aspect-- heat, burns, fire.... And the lightening aspect. These both could be associated with the inspiration/frenzy aspects of Odhr. It could be seen as the fire of the forge. It could be seen as illuminating knowledge provided that the fiery inspiration accompanies it.

This is (in my opinion) what is seen in the 4th part of Havamal (the Runattals Thatr Odhinns) where (as I paraphrase):

Word followed word,
I found words
Work (or song? or incantation?) followed work,
I made works.

(this is where the 9 incantations he learns doubles to 18).