Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot by Katz & Goodwin?

Eeviee

Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot: The True Story of the World's Most Popular Tarot by Marcus Katz and Tali Goodwin

To Be Released: April 8th, 2015

From Amazon US:
Uncover the secrets of tarot with never-before-seen material from Waite's own hand, an exploration of the worlds and environments that shaped both Waite and Smith, and a practical guide to interpreting the cards. Drawing on Waite's own words, examples, unpublished materials, and more, this groundbreaking book unlocks the symbols and intentions of the cards.

Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot explores the fascinating origins of the most popular tarot system in the world. Explore the comparisons between the Court cards and the stage characters that influenced Smith. You'll also learn about Smith's intuitive understanding of the Tree of Life and how that wisdom is reflected in her Minors. This exciting guide will introduce you to a new understanding of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Waite...F8&qid=1404195115&sr=1-1&keywords=katz+marcus

Additional info? Thoughts, Opinions et Cetera?

I was excited when I heard they were creating a book on Mlle Lenormand, but that didn't end up with good reviews, so I don't know about this one... Looks like it'll be clocking in at 480 pages. That seems quite impressive.

Richard

I hate when words like secret, lost, hidden, etc., are used in nonfiction book (or tarot) titles. It stimulates my sales resistance big time. I know it is not necessarily the fault of the author(s), but still......

ravenest

" never-before-seen material from Waite's own hand .... comparisons between the Court cards and the stage characters that influenced Smith."

If thats accurate (and the source is too) it sounds very interesting.

Richard

" never-before-seen material from Waite's own hand .... comparisons between the Court cards and the stage characters that influenced Smith."

If thats accurate (and the source is too) it sounds very interesting.
I've seen Waite's handwritten material clairvoyantly with my third eye.

EXORDIUMATICALLY, deponent precateth otity orient exaudient, dole basilical's assumpt. Pragmatics, ex Ventro Genesiaco ad umbilicum Apocalypticum, determinated logomachoepy's nodal puncts, genethliacally benedict, eschatologically — kakoglaphyrotopical! Ergmoiraetic, apert parthenorhododactylical, colophoned thanatoskianko-morphic

Zephyros

Katz and Goodwin have a good reputation and seem to have been working on Waite for several years now. Should be interesting, if it lives up to its promotional blurb. Despite agreeing with LRichard on names like "ultimate," etc., I'll pronounce final judgement until after it's out.

All in all, though, Smith's influences interest me far less than Waite's, but I doubt it will hold a card by card breakdown of each card, complete with occult and Masonic ideas, in favor of a "practical" guide. I'm actually tired of Tarot books being practical, and I think there are more than enough of them, but that's just me.

Doesn't sound like the Waite answer to the Book of Thoth, but should be interesting nonetheless.

Richard

It could be a good book, but I wish editors would get the message that the usual promotional hype (especially when it is incorporated into the title) can turn people off. How about New Discoveries Concerning the Waite-Smith Tarot? Seriously, that would tend to make me want to buy it.

Zephyros

It could be a good book, but I wish editors would get the message that the usual promotional hype (especially when it is incorporated into the title) can turn people off. How about New Discoveries Concerning the Waite-Smith Tarot? Seriously, that would tend to make me want to buy it.

What would make me buy it is if it really held the "secrets." My comparison to the Book of Thoth was intentional, as the it is the most complete treatise on occult Tarot available, going far beyond mere explanations of cards, or even their Thelemic modifications. When it comes to Tarot, even Regardie's Golden Dawn doesn't hold a candle to it. The RWS deserves a book like that. Such an ambitious undertaking could have huge repercussions on the Tarot world, and after a 100+ years, it's about time such a book existed.

But is this it?

Richard

What would make me buy it is if it really held the "secrets." My comparison to the Book of Thoth was intentional, as the it is the most complete treatise on occult Tarot available, going far beyond mere explanations of cards, or even their Thelemic modifications. When it comes to Tarot, even Regardie's Golden Dawn doesn't hold a candle to it. The RWS deserves a book like that. Such an ambitious undertaking could have huge repercussions on the Tarot world, and after a 100+ years, it's about time such a book existed.

But is this it?
It is a different situation, since Waite was not as explicit as Crowley. A researcher would have to wade through all of Waite's voluminous (seemingly turgid) prose in order to ferret out his tarot philosophy. According to Waite, PKT is basically just an introductory handbook, and the divinatory sections most people read do not necessarily reflect his own opinions of card meanings. He is particularly vituperative about the divinatory use of the trumps; yet he includes material relating thereto.

There are a few so called blinds in Waite that Crowley did not need to bother about. (I love black cats, but I despise the use of a black cat in the Queen of Wands. It should be a leopard, but even a couger or black panther would have been almost acceptable.)

I would be tempted to read this book in order to see if it clears up some of these issues, but past experience with Rider-Waite books prompts me to be cautious.

Ace of Stars

I've been following Marcus and Tali's research for this book, and it sounds really interesting. They've put previews up in the Tarot Professionals group on Facebook. They learned a lot about P.C. Smith's private life and her inspiration for the cards -- like which of her friends she painted for the 9 of Pentacles and stuff. I think it will be really unique!

They're Lenormand book is not well received, but I think that Tarot is their strong point.

Alpha-Omega

Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot: The True Story of the World's Most Popular Tarot by Marcus Katz and Tali Goodwin

To Be Released: April 8th, 2015

From Amazon US:
Uncover the secrets of tarot with never-before-seen material from Waite's own hand, an exploration of the worlds and environments that shaped both Waite and Smith, and a practical guide to interpreting the cards. Drawing on Waite's own words, examples, unpublished materials, and more, this groundbreaking book unlocks the symbols and intentions of the cards.

Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot explores the fascinating origins of the most popular tarot system in the world. Explore the comparisons between the Court cards and the stage characters that influenced Smith. You'll also learn about Smith's intuitive understanding of the Tree of Life and how that wisdom is reflected in her Minors. This exciting guide will introduce you to a new understanding of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Waite...F8&qid=1404195115&sr=1-1&keywords=katz+marcus

Additional info? Thoughts, Opinions et Cetera?

I was excited when I heard they were creating a book on Mlle Lenormand, but that didn't end up with good reviews, so I don't know about this one... Looks like it'll be clocking in at 480 pages. That seems quite impressive.

I have seen just a small bit of what can be expected in the book and it is fantastic! I am falling in love with the Rider Waite all over again.