Your Altar

ravenest

A stained glass window may be impressive and show 'glory to God'

but who can make a tree or emulate the beauty of a real sunset ?

celticnoodle

Very nice, Disa. :) Thank you for sharing all that.

Not mine ... but

an altar with a view (Bexhill 'open air cathedral') ;

http://www.bonzle.com/h/4/d/w/6fb0a.jpg

agreed! What a view!!!

A stained glass window may be impressive and show 'glory to God'

but who can make a tree or emulate the beauty of a real sunset ?

so true, ravenest. I can imagine having an early Mass sitting there and watching the sunrise or a later Mass, and watching it set. Either way--beautiful and seeing the Glory of God.

Morwenna

There was, and probably still is though I heard it was up for renovation, the Cathedral of the Pines in New Hampshire. That's a similarly breathtaking view.

I even know of a YMCA camp that has a chapel in a similar setting (though the view is a lot closer in).

UrbanBramble

dredging up a thread from almost a week ago... I finally got my ancestor altar together. There's a mirror behind it so you can kinda see me, don't mind that.

Attachments

• 20141108_142204.jpg
    20141108_142204.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 186

HearthCricket

Heatwaves have been getting to me, so decided to make the most of my cool home and set up my fall/Halloween decorations a bit early. If you know me, you know that is the way I roll! Here is my Halloween altar right now, though a few changes may take place as the season darkens! Hope others continue to share their own altars/sacred spaces. I always found these to be such fun and inspirational threads.

TinySpark

I've been meaning for years to reply to this thread :D

My altar faces east, it is very beautiful when the sun rises. In the middle I have a soapstone oil burner that I burn essential oils, resins, and water. I keep the water for my oil burner in a green happy buddha beer bottle, it just makes me happy every time I see it :D Sometimes I put a flower or two in the belly of the buddha.

On the far left I have a jizu statue (a protector of women and travelers) I love it's peaceful expression and prayerful stance. Then I have an abalone shell with a small bundle of white sage from the hiking trails near where I used to live in California.

Next I have a Chartres Labyrinth candle holder with small sodalite and citrine pebbles surrounding a blue candle. I love the message behind the Chartres and other labyrinths. Unlike the maze with dead ends and tricky passages to choose from. Labyrinths have one winding path leading inwards with the same path leading you back outside.

I also have a small rock I picked up on a beach on a beautiful windy rainy day celebrating with my friends as one of them was about to be married. Then there is a brass colored lotus blossom candle holder with a reddish brown votive on it.. And finally my favorite piece a warm golden clay mother goddess mini taper candle holder. I put in a different colored candle in it depending on what I want to meditate and focus on when I light my altar up. I usually take my altar down the next day after lighting my candles because in the winter time it is too cold not to bring down the shutters which in turn knocks half of my altar off the ledge.

All of this is on the ledge of my bedroom window facing east. I think part of having an altar is the moving meditation of putting the altar up, then packing it away. In roman catholic mass, as an altar server I used to have that as one of my duties. During special masses we even incorporated the putting up and packing up of the altar during the quiet interludes between spoken and unspoken prayer and reflection. First preparing the altar and preparing ourselves for prayer then putting the altar away to prepare ourselves for going out into the world and doing good in both words and deeds. It's what I miss the most about organized religion. The milennia of tradition and ritual perfected and practiced by millions.

Attachments

• altar.jpg
    altar.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 146
  • happy buddha beer bottle.jpg
    happy buddha beer bottle.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Chartres Labyrinth sodalite and citrine.jpg
    Chartres Labyrinth sodalite and citrine.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 134
  • jizu, abalone, and sage.jpg
    jizu, abalone, and sage.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 131
  • mother goddess.jpg
    mother goddess.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 136

Morwenna

Heatwaves have been getting to me, so decided to make the most of my cool home and set up my fall/Halloween decorations a bit early. If you know me, you know that is the way I roll! Here is my Halloween altar right now, though a few changes may take place as the season darkens! Hope others continue to share their own altars/sacred spaces. I always found these to be such fun and inspirational threads.

That is beautiful!

Disa

Tinyspark. Thank you for sharing your images and your description. I think you're right, the putting it up and taking it down are part of the process for me. Part of finding my center and becoming grounded. I didn't really think of it like that, but I do instinctively feel that each time I do it. I change my altar cloth and a few of the items at each of the 8 Sabbats- it helps to remind me whether or not I'm staying grounded and helps me take pause from the hectic world at least 8 times a year if I've been lax in between.

Morwenna

Since I don't have a "set" altar, I should be more mindful of the setting up and taking down. Thank you, TinySpark, for putting the tack on my chair. :)