Goddess Book &/or vs. Workbook

tatsi

Goddess Book and/or vs. Workbook

I plan to get Kris Waldherr's the Goddess Tarot deck. Even though I've read the LWB that comes with it is quite substantial, I want to get the book that goes with the deck. In GT's case there seems to be two types of companion books to consider, a book and a workbook.

After checking out the author's website, I get the feeling the workbook is the original intended companion book. It's possible that USG, the publisher, wanted a regular book to include in its deck and book set, so the non-workbook version was created for that purpose. When comparing the two choices, it seems the book is a rehashing of what is in the workbook. However, the workbook has slightly more information, so it seems to be the better value.

Here is the link that raises this book vs. workbook issue and a few other comments worth thinking about: http://www.tarotpassages.com/goddesstarbookrevs.htm

I think I will only get the workbook, but would like to hear what people think, especially those who have both books.

On a side note: I've read that this deck (in keeping with its feminine-based approach) switches the meanings for the Kings and Queens, and also for the Princes and Princesses. Is this true?

I appreciate any comments you have on the issues I've brought up.

tatsi

rexenne2003

Hey there!

The Workbook is quite a bit larger than the companion book. The book that is supposed to come with the deck also has a different border around the title and image on front. I dunno if it will help, but the ISBN# is 1-57281-129-3 for the companion book. The workbook has each card one one page, and the facing page is blank with questions about how you feel about the card, first impressions, etc. In the back of the workbook is a very large section devoted to recording your readings for several different layouts.

rexenne2003

On a side note: I've read that this deck does meaning reversals for the Kings & Queens, and Princes & Princesses. Is this true?

tatsi

I missed this the first time reading the msg. Yes it is true. But as I have always read them, reversed cards are just saying that the energies of the cards meanings for the position they are in are blocked...there-fore the meaning is reversed from the upright meaning. Does that makes sense? But you can always ask the readee (if in person or on a net camera) to turn it upside right, if they want to, as an act of unblocking those energies. Sympathetic magic so to speak.

Lurea

I bought this just as a deck about a month ago, and have been trying to decide which book to buy, too. :) I've looked at the companion book at the bookstore, and it was nice, but I am wondering if the workbook would be a better buy. The companion book is also quite small-about paperback size, which I don't like much.

So far this has been a great deck--accurate, but gently so. I felt a real connection with the first card I pulled, in fact. I have used this deck for emotional and relationship questions, past-life questions, and work questions, and had my readings very well received. When I first looked at the deck, I thought it would be too 'fluffy' for me to use, but that did not turn out to be the case at all! It went right to the heart of several readings and left me stunned. It does not pussyfoot around, either--it 'speaks' to me quite plainly, but in a concerned way. (Sorta like your loving but no-nonsense aunt or grandma might. :D )

Probably you've put your finger on the only criticism I have of this deck, tatsi-the re-ordering of the Courts. It's only really noticeable on the Princes/Princesses, with messages given as a meaning for the Princes and action/movement given as a meaning for the Princess. I'm working with the set definitions for now, but I've considered just saying the heck with it, and going with standard meanings.

Still for me, this is a deck that immediately 'clicked' and set against that, any criticisms are minor, indeed.

rexenne2003

It's a really good deck for spiritual questions.

tatsi

Which book to get debate

Lurea_aure said:
I bought this just as a deck about a month ago, and have been trying to decide which book to buy, too. :) I've looked at the companion book at the bookstore, and it was nice, but I am wondering if the workbook would be a better buy. The companion book is also quite small-about paperback size, which I don't like much.

Rexie,

I got your PM and replied back.

It's interesting that you don't find the workbook useful, since most people seem to. Do you think the regular book is worth getting or is the LWB good enough?

Lurea_aure,

I had that same question about the small size of the regular book. The workbook is much larger in size, which I prefer. Have you gotten either of the books? Or do you solely use the deck's booklet, which for a LWB is quite substantial?

I don't want to waste my money for a near-duplicate text, so I'm inquiring which version is the best to get.

tatsi

rexenne2003

I'm a thrifty person when it comes to these things. I actually think, IMHO, that anyone can <I>make</I> a tarot workbook by drawing a card daily and writing in a journal your impressions of the card itself, colors you like or don't like, initial impressions brought about by the graphics, etc, etc, etc. I don't see a reason to spend the extra money.
But then again, the book would be useful to those who are still fairly new to the tarot and the system of symbolizm, numorology, or divination. Like if it were your first or second deck. The one thing I really liked about the book was that in the back there were at least 20 if not more pages for journaling results of curtain tarot spreads (Celtic Cross, and another one that I could not find the name of...had an arch of about 7 cards and then a row of about 9 cards down the middle from the arch). But again, a tarot journal can do the same thing (When you can find journals on sale for nearly free, stock up cause yah never know when you will want to start journaling. I have 8 blank ones that are handy whenever I may need them. Got them all on sale too.) My tarot journal has come in handy as I can look back on past readings, notes, layouts, what-have-you.
Both the Companion book and the Workbook have the meanings of the cards and a short history of the Goddesses featured on each in them, just the workbook has a lot of extra space for journaling and questions that help with that. Find it on sale or used...that way if you happen to be dissapointed with it, you will not have paid full price. No guilt shopping! :D

rexenne2003

Unrelated, but how do you turn the HTML on??

Jeanette

I have the Goddess Tarot, and really liked it initially. But then, after working with it for a while, I started disliking the men in the deck. They look like women to me. I want my men to be manly looking! I haven't had it out in a long time, which is a shame, because I liked the Goddesses and learning about all the different aspects. But the men in the deck just don't cut it for me. But I think the LWB that came with it gave a lot of info., but of course there's always more to learn and explore! I like the idea of doing your own workbook, that would be so personalized! Best wishes with your decision!

ambermoon

I have both the workbook and the companion book, which turned out to be redundant, because the workbook contains all the information in the companion book, plus the journal prompts.

The paper is slightly better quality in the journal.

ambermoon