View Single Post
Student of Astrology

Minderwiz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiifA View Post
Again, Thanks for the reply. You said "Within this thread". Does that mean you do look at it elsewhere? If so, how far apart do they need to be before the aspect is weakened?
I have no present intentions to look at the issue in a fresh thread, though you might find with a search that latitude has come up previously. Most astrological practice makes use of the Ascendant as the zero point of a particular chart and the Ascendant is determined by the Horizon, not so much the Ecliptic, though it is of course the point where the great circle of the Ecliptic cuts the circle of the Horizon which (apart from a location on the equator) is not a great circle but topocentric. The horizon at any point is parallel to the equator. Horoscopic Astrology is horizon based for a particular location and the chart shows the horizon as the Ascendant/Descendant axis.

Planets, like the Moon, have cycles where they move from being North of the ecliptic to being south of the ecliptic, with nodes just like the Moon. These could be used in a similar way to the Moon's cycle but few Astrologers use them. They would however be worth looking at if you're really interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiifA
My other question along these lines is in regard to declination vs latitude and parallels. I understand that latitude is related to the ecliptic and declination is related to the equator. The image link is a screen grab of some of this mornings data at 9:43 in NY:

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/...pse845a88f.jpg

Parallels are related to declination. Why not latitude? When we look into the sky and 2 planets are conjunct will they be in the same place with latitude or declination? Maybe a conjunct isn't the best as I have a feeling with conjunct its both. What about a square, will they both pass at the same altitude in the same declination or same latitude?

Latitude can mean that a planet shown in your chart as being just below the horizon is actually above it if you go out and look.

If two planets in conjunction at the same ecliptic degree and minute have different latitudes then they will appear in slightly different places in the sky, if you go out and look. One will be higher in the sky than the other.

When it comes to other aspects such as a square you have two problems. Firstly the difference caused by latitude and secondly the difference caused by the horizon. Different ecliptic degrees rise at different points on the horizon, that is the rising degree is not always due East. In fact the only two degrees to rise due East are 0 Aries and 0 Libra, the two equinoctial degrees. Thus even if two planets were exactly on the ecliptic, and in perfect square, they might not look it in the sky.

For a much more detailed account, you could try Martin Gansten's book on Primary Directions.
Top   #437