View Single Post
Student of Astrology

Minderwiz 
Correction

I wrote the above post late last night and my brain wasn't quite functioning correctly. I inadvertently wrote that the horizon was parallel to the equator. It isn't, so I have given myself a metaphorical slap on the wrist.

I should have said that the Topocentric Horizon is parallel to the Geocentric Horizon, that is a great circle that passes through the centre of the Earth, some 6,000 km below the point on the surface of the earth. The Geocentric Horizon is the one used in Astrological calculations, because it is a great circle. Although there is an obvious discrepancy between the two, that discrepancy is minute in terms of the literally astronomical distances involved.The Geocentric Horizon is inclined to the Equator, depending on the position of the geographical location being used.

Something I also should have mentioned, though it's strongly implied in the thread is that Hellenistic Astrologers certainly took the declination of the Sun into account. When it lies North of the Equator then there's Spring and Summer in the Northern Hemisphere and Autumn and Winter in the Southern Hemisphere. The termDeclination was not used and there's no reference to the declination of other planets during traditional times.

I've also mentioned the use of latitude in the lunar cycle which was also used but as far as I can tell, not with reference to lunar aspects.

I did find a reference to latitude in Dorotheus, with reference to aspects generally but we have little of the original Greek version, but later versions from Persian translations of the Greek and which is known to be interpolated by later writers. I'll try and follow that one up.

You mentioned parallels of latitude, these were certainly used in medieval times and if the reference to Dorotheus is authentic then also are implied in Hellenistic times. The maximum latitudes are small compared to declinations

Mercury 7.0 degrees
Venus 3.4 degrees
Moon 5.15 degrees
Mars 1.9 degrees
Jupiter 1.3 degrees
Saturn 2.5 degrees

Uranus has a maximum latitude of 0.8 degrees and Neptune 1,8 degrees. Pluto has a maximum of 17.1 degrees and so can be out of the 'traditional zodiac'.

I can find nothing on orbs used and I'm not sure there ever were any. Clearly the theoretical maximum difference in Latitude of traditional planets would be 12.15 degrees assuming Mercury and Moon were involved and at their extreme and opposite latitude.

The Dorotheus possibility and other early medieval writers put two planets with opposite latitudes out of application to an aspect. But middle and later medieval writers did not support that and took an opposition to involve opposite latitudes as well as opposite signs. Using an example from Gansten, Venus at 20 Scorpio and with a latitude of 2.14 degrees South casts it's opposition to 20 Taurus with a latitude of 2.14 degrees North. The two squares are at 20 Leo and 20 Aquarius with 0 latitidue (that is on the ecliptic). The two sextiles have a latitude of 1.07 degrees South and the two trines 1.07 degrees North.

From this it's clear that aspects apart from Conjunction and Opposition are going to have latitudes that are well within their maximum possible. Nevertheless from Medieval times there was an interest in aspects with latitude when considering primary directions.
Top   #438