Deck of the Month Study Group??

Mi-Shell

You also wouldn't HAVE to have the deck to participate as many decks have images online that you could look at and participate in the discussion. I'll list the months and if you are interested please respond to this thread. Also please suggest decks and as the suggestions come in I will plug them into one of the monthly slots. If for some reason you would like to suggest a deck for a certain month, just let me know where you want it placed.

This gives us a little over a month to get our decks assigned to the months of 2015.

January 2015 The Medicine Cards by Jamie Sans and David Carson or (Any Native American deck

April 2015 Oracle of Initiation (or a guardian based deck)

May 2015 Tree or Forest focused decks (Oracle of Trees, Wisdom of the Woods, etc)

June 2015 Cartomancy with regular cards or themed decks such as Alice in Wonderland. (In cartomancy forum)

July 2015 Nature/Earth based oracle decks (Earth Magic, etc.)

August 2015 Mythology based oracle decks

September 2015 Other Oracle Practices (runes, palm reading, casting etc) Some have decks associated with them also so we will explore what is out there and "fine tune" this topic. (In Beyond Tarot forum specific to practice)

December 2015 Open Choice Deck (revisit one from earlier in year or use your own choice)

So if you have a deck that's just been lingering there on the shelf...maybe 2015 will be the year to dig into it. Also I'm game for any older decks as often I learn new and exciting things about even my oldest deck through discussions with others.

These are the month I would have an appropriate oracle that would fir into the suggested categories.
For February I might stick with an Animal based deck - - Like the Wolf Song Oracle or do comparison studies of several of my Animal based decks.
March might be a good time for me to switch to a plant based deck > Druid Plant Oracle, a Flower Oracle or Plant Healing cards.... or something like this....

Onyx

Hello,

I haven't been posting a lot this month but I still have been working with the Sacred Path cards. I am really, surprisingly beginning to like this deck quite a bit. There are some weak points to the system, but I see currently but the depth of the cards and the use that I have been getting form them is quite good. The deck doesn't have a great set of challenge cards. I like my decks to have cards that will push the edge and darkness that we can see in our lives.

They system does take a little getting used to and I am still very new with this system so it isn't one yet that I just throw down a few cards and get a message but I can see that with some more time there is a chance that it will happen.

Like any beginner I am currently rely on the keywords and the book a bit more than I would like but that is just the way it goes in the beginning. I was not sure a couple of weeks ago if I would like it and I was looking at getting a Medicine Card deck too but I am glad I didn't. Getting to work exclusively with this has been focusing me to look just a this one set of images and then learn them more clearly.

We are about half done with the month and I am looking to what I am going to do for the next month. I have to admit I didn't think of the idea for Februrary using a non-oracle device for study. I have been starting to work with Rory's Story Cubes and I am 99% sure that I think that I will be working with this. Two reasons. First I love the tactile feel of the cubes. Second I have an app on my phone that allows me to do readings on the fly and then capture as a picture.

Hope everyone else is having a great time this month.

Onyx.

Mi-Shell

Something REALLLLLY WEIRD happened!

A few days ago I divided my deck of the month - the Medicine Cards into 2 piles. One pile contained the Animals that we have right here where I live and that I get a chance to see, the other pile consisted of those Animals that do not live around here and that also my clients - for readings are not quite so familiar with. Animals like Armadillo, Alligator, Antelope and so on..
These I decided to focus on and study some more, in order to learn something new.
Well, then of course, life happen and I had to clean up the house a little because I had patients coming for a shamanic consultation.
I remember putting my study pile on the little end table right next to the Family Altar, thinking, they would not be in the way there....
long story short, my patients stayed for several hours and the day commenced as usual. late in the evening I wanted to have a little sleepy time meditation about one of these animals and set up the corresponding medicine Card.
THEY WERE GONE! :bugeyed:
disappeared!!
Did I put them somewhere else after all?
I looked in all the obvious places, including the deck's pouch... There were just the other half of the deck. I loooooooked EVERYWHERE and then everywhere again.... Nothing
I started to looook in not so obvious places. ... Nothing. Next day Peter joined the search - Nothing.
Since that 4 days are gone by.
4 days of both of us scouring the house.... 4 days of making light hearted jokes about me getting ooooold and frazzzeled and having "senior's moments"
Now, I could do a shamanic journey to find out, iffff maybe my patient.........
it HAS happened before.
....Someone making off with things like a piece of our hand made jewellery, a book, Peter's Tylenol 3 medication from the dentist.....
Someone "accidentaly" packing one of my drums into her backpack .....
But what ifffffff.....
What ifffff it is just me.... being oooold and - frazzzzeled....

Can you guys use your decks -or any other deck and pull a few cards and divine, what / where half of my deck disappeared to?
Thanks!

I did pull a card as well - from another Medicine Card Deck that I have and will report back....

Onyx

This is a very interesting idea. I have had decks disappear on me too. i think sometimes they are actually hiding from me but that seems to be more my faerie decks. I will be happy to pulll a card for clarity on where the deck may be.

The card is . . . . Sundance.

I was just studying this card yesterday. Interestingly. It is card of self sacrifice. A card about the need to understand suffering to gain self knowledge. It is a struggle card. I think that it is a card that hints at being painfully close. I am still new here with this deck but there is something that you need to do to find it I think it is in the house but there is an element of work to find it.

Wow . . . vague and odd. I hope this helps.

Onyx

Mi-Shell

Thank you, Onyx!
This is intriguing!
It also tells me, that I should look during the day time!

Anyone else in on this?

2dogs

I haven't tried this sort of reading before, but pulled a few cards which give me the idea they may have been taken and gone off in a car.

DragonFae

Hmmmm...I decided to use Froud's Faeries and pulled an interesting card... "the friends".

At first I wasn't quite sure how this might relate to your missing cards...its a card about friendly cooperation, about asking your friends (which sort of fits your request here) and about seeking to help a friend. Look around you. Someone may be needing your help.

Hmmm this might be going along with Onyx's card that there is something you must do here....to "earn" the right to get your cards back (discover where they are)....so perhaps there is someone in need and giving that attention will open the door way to the cards location.

Smiling

Thank you, Onyx!
This is intriguing!
It also tells me, that I should look during the day time!

Anyone else in on this?

Hi Mi-Shell,

I did a one card reading, and pulled Coyote. I'm still learning more about how to do readings with this deck, but right away I know that Coyote is the trickster. So I would say probably that someone made away with your cards.

I asked- who has your (missing) cards now? - and I pulled Skunk. Does that connect to anyone you know? Skunk medicine is associated with respect- so someone who did not respect your space, and/or needs to learn more lessons about it...

Please let me know if this makes sense, and I hope I'm wrong and that you will find your cards soon. Please keep us updated if you do!

blessings, Smiling :)

Mi-Shell

Thank you, DragonFae and Smiling!
We are onto something!
I did pull weasel, which actually shows a Blackfooted Ferret.
Now one of my earliest Medicine Guides from early childhood is Fretty, a Siberian Ferret, who helps me with sorting through well hidden stuffff with clients and patients.
https://shamanicdrumm.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/how-i-got-my-very-first-guardian/

This realllly got me thinking and so I did a journey to talk to Fretty.
Yes, Onyx, Sundance is about sacrifice!
Scrificing something dear - like half a deck AND, what bugggggs me MOST is , that 2 of my handmade cards - Birch and Spruce were among them, since I wanted to look things up about them in my brand new book about Trees " Tree Wisdom" by Jaqueline Memory Paterson
The sacrifice however is supposed to be for a good cause.....
yes, DragonFae, the visitors I had were 1 very good friends that brought a new client, but they did not reallly want to tell me, what the problem was and reallly WHY this client all of a sudden from 1 day to the other got fired from a job..... other than "there were problems and accusations....."

Now of course I can not tell here, about what I found out during the treatment/ shamanic drumming seance, because that is confidential.......

2dogs, you stated the sadly obvious in 1 short poignant sentence

That fits with the Coyote the trickster card, in so far as with Coyote afoot stuff gets missing - He is a glutton and sometimes this gluttony is just about "having stuffff"
coyote is also about impulse control and control of urges -
Skunk!
yes, the whole thing STINKS!!
I send my friends an e mail mentioning the missing cards.......
So far I have not heard back. The client since has left to visit other friends in O.

Fretty in the journey told me to "forget about them and not waste any more time searching around, the cards are not on the premises any more."
Now, Iffff this is right, this DARK ENERGY will come back to haunt this client in a rather nasty way.....
I am more worrrrried about that then anything else.....
It would be such a shame and could ruin a young life.....

Yesterday evening I yet again opened up another brand new deck of medicine cards, smudged them and retired the sadly left behind half of the deck.....
Maybe I will mail that to her... She at least then has a complete deck and I could avert the wrath of what happens, when someone "takes" a Medicine Tool from a practising shaman and so gets into trouble with said shaman's Ancestor guides and whoever elseon the roster of backfiring misfortune makers.....

2dogs

May 2015 Tree or Forest focused decks (Oracle of Trees, Wisdom of the Woods, etc)

July 2015 Nature/Earth based oracle decks (Earth Magic, etc.)

I'd like to continue my focus on nature this year, particularly that of the British Isles, and at the moment I am thinking of:

May 2015: Wisdom of Trees, Green Man Tree Oracle.

July 2015: Earth Magic, Sustain Yourself Cards.